U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 05:17 AM

5,823 posts, read 10,154,728 times

Advertisements

Women are hotter (by many orders of magnitude)

Women are hotter in...Switzerland than in America? you got to be kidding!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2009, 06:00 AM

8,178 posts, read 16,549,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
As others have said, it depends on where you move. I would think that if you move to either coast in the US you would be fine. However, there are still some backwoods backward thinking people in the middle and southern parts of the country who have never traveled and just dont understand things.

And as long as you learn to ignore stupid crap like this, you'll do just fine.

Sadly it just shows that prejudices are alive and well in any country.

Old 02-06-2009, 06:02 AM

5,727 posts, read 9,089,585 times
It will depend upon where you go. In my old neighborhood in a suburban community of Hartford, Connecticut, we had neighbors from England, Canada, Scotland and Germany. My family was from Sweden. I can recall people from India, Puerto Rico (technically not another country but the language differences and culture more or less make it seem so) and Greece (my friend's parents and Uncle) also living in town. Plenty of other countries surely were represented but that time is since long removed and I can't recall off the top of my head.

My belief is this. As long as you don't come over here and try to force your country's form of government and social policies on this nation, then you are welcome here. We already get enough of that from alleged reformists in our own nation that think the USA should be like the rest of the world or a European nation.

Old 02-06-2009, 08:03 AM

9,188 posts, read 30,233,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post

What I like more about US:

- 24 hour stores are not a rarity.. you can easily buy things after, say, 8pm
- Much cheaper food
- No language barrier problems (with rare exceptions in LA)
That's probably why 70% of Americans are now listed as "at least somewhat overweight".

Maybe our food prices need to go UP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
My belief is this. As long as you don't come over here and try to force your country's form of government and social policies on this nation, then you are welcome here.
Actually, that was something I was going to say earlier, and WILWRadio is right: If you come here and make comments like, "Americans do THIS, and it's stupid - here's how we do it back in XXX". Ok, now THAT will not earn any friends at all here, and in some regions you'll see an immediate change in a person's demeanor, possibly followed by a quick reply of, "Well then, why don't you go BACK to XXX then?".

In other words, we can complain about our own government and way of life, but if someone from another country does it, yes, it's seen as being some kind of personal attack. That's not a self-insult - it's just the way we think here. But then, it's not just a national thing, either - it can be very regional. For instance, if someone from New York City moves to the deep South and says, "I can't stand this - this is how we do it back in New York..."... they'll get that same negative reactions by the locals that someone from another country would get. So I guess it's human nature (on some level) to be protective of your region and/or country if others seem to attack it. Most Americans are no different.

Old 02-06-2009, 08:07 AM

6,495 posts, read 10,801,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post

I had a hard time finding an ugly woman in the Netherlands. Even the old gals were smokin'.

Old 02-06-2009, 09:07 AM

11,172 posts, read 22,375,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post

That's funny, I've met maybe 5-6 people in Europe who came to the US, and they all said "god, everyone is so hot over here!!!".

I said I thought the same thing about Europe....

Anyway, Americans love Europeans, we have no reason not to. People normally don't have really strong opinions, but I would expect to get attention since you're "different". In a good way though...

Old 02-06-2009, 11:39 AM
Status: "Nobody's right if everybody's wrong" (set 27 days ago)

9,838 posts, read 21,142,259 times
In general I think most people anywhere in the world like the RESIDENTS of other countries but dislike the GOVERNMENT/ POLICIES of other countries. I think most Europeans like America's people and places but strongly dislike our strong armed (and sometimes) illogical behavior across the globe. Americans tend to like the people and places of Europe but feel like the governments over there can be obstructionist in the UN etc

Old 02-06-2009, 12:21 PM

1,305 posts, read 3,093,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
In other words, we can complain about our own government and way of life, but if someone from another country does it, yes, it's seen as being some kind of personal attack. That's not a self-insult - it's just the way we think here. But then, it's not just a national thing, either - it can be very regional. For instance, if someone from New York City moves to the deep South and says, "I can't stand this - this is how we do it back in New York..."... they'll get that same negative reactions by the locals that someone from another country would get. So I guess it's human nature (on some level) to be protective of your region and/or country if others seem to attack it. Most Americans are no different.
Think of your little brother, or if you don't have a little brother, think of someone you know who does. You feel entitled to pick on him and beat him up, but the second someone else does, you're his biggest defender. You'd fight another person to the death for doing the very thing you feel is appropriate for you to do.

As long as you don't pick on our little brother, you can be our friend.

Old 02-06-2009, 01:43 PM

4,382 posts, read 15,323,692 times
You'll be fine! as long as you don't bring that superior attitude the occasion European has. But im sure if one moves to the US, they wouldn't have on in the first place! So yea, i think in most if not all parts you will be fine. People don't typically talk bad about Europe, in fact many people love it

Old 02-06-2009, 04:18 PM

2,980 posts, read 7,290,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
You'll be fine! as long as you don't bring that superior attitude the occasion European has.
Um i think you'll find that is an American thing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or