U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 11:19 PM

193 posts, read 429,578 times

Advertisements

I never said it was progressive, did I? Although the OP asked for progressive as one of his criteria, I didn't pick Greenville because it was progressive. I picked it because I felt it met the other needs he asked for. I'm someone who feels the political climate of an area is not a huge factor, so I focused on the OPs other needs. I am a strong liberal, but have lived in both democratic and republican areas, and have never found the overall voting pattern in an area to be a big concern. I didn't get the impression that a progressive environment was the OPs top concern, perhaps it was.

Honestly, I'm surprised to hear that 34% of Greenville voted Democrat. That seems like a lot for a traditional little Bible belt town.

Anyway, I suggest you check it out for yourself if you haven't for awhile. I was there just two weeks ago and was glad to see bars and lounges open at midnight on Sunday night. Not to mention, I hear they're up to something like 3 gay bars now? Not too bad...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2009, 07:18 AM

23,118 posts, read 35,061,639 times
Fairhope, AL is a gem of a town...located on the eastern shore of Mobile Bay (about 25 miles from Mobile), it is charming and surprisingly progressive (largely due to it's thriving arts community). Another plus is that it sits on a bluff above the bay, which offers it protection against storm surges during hurricanes.

www.cofairhope.com

Old 02-06-2009, 07:25 AM

6 posts, read 15,560 times
Sacramento sounds good to me too, so does San Fransisco, hope to visit S F next year.

Old 02-06-2009, 08:48 AM

271 posts, read 903,560 times
I just managed to disappear a long reply! I will get back to all of you soon, promise. I was amazed--and pleased.

Thanks so much.

Old 02-06-2009, 09:33 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,823 posts, read 33,226,435 times
I was thinking Madison, Wisconsin would work if you're willing to put up with extreme winters.

Old 02-06-2009, 10:18 AM

Location: Just East of the Southern Portion of the Western Part of PA
1,240 posts, read 3,220,533 times
Pittsburgh

Old 02-06-2009, 11:30 AM
Status: "Nobody's right if everybody's wrong" (set 29 days ago)

9,844 posts, read 21,150,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Lexington, KY is screaming for you right now.
You called??

Lexington
* population 280,000; greater commuting population of 650,000
* 39% with a bachelor's degree or higher
* A major medical hub - 3 huge hosptials (U of KY, Central Baptist, & St Jospeph) with dozens of smaller clinics and rehab centers. Another great research hosp (U of L'ville) is in the same state, UL & UK do a lot of research togethor
* Lex is a safe city by European standards - 17 murders in a metro of 500,000 last year. Random/ drug related homicides are quite rare
* Surrounded by the famous thoroughbred horse farms. There are some great Appalachian hiking areas 50 miles to the east
* Our weather is summarized by this: today I'm playing in the snow in short sleaves. KY weather is very similar to Denver, Kansas City, or Washington DC: it gets cold in the winter but doesn't stay cold long. It is hot and humid from June to early September, but April, May, late Sept, and October has great weather (70s, lower humidity)
* Lexington voted for Obama by ~7% or so. The city is 75% White, 12% Black, 10% Hispanic, and 3% Asian.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/84/DowntownLexUpperJBM.jpg (broken link)

http://static2.bareka.com/photos/medium/13329785.jpg (broken link)

Natural Bridge, 50 miles east of Lex

Old 02-06-2009, 11:52 AM
Status: "Nobody's right if everybody's wrong" (set 29 days ago)

9,844 posts, read 21,150,344 times
BTW... Metro Lexington's December 2008 unemployment rate was only 5.4%, well below the national average.

Table 1. Civilian labor force and unemployment by state and metropolitan area

Old 02-06-2009, 12:51 PM

880 posts, read 2,530,943 times
My mistake watchoverme, I thought you were including it with your list. Actually, Provo Utah is the most conservative area (about 19% Democrat in the metro) but Greenville is still up there. I have been a few times and the downtown looked nice, don't think I could live too far outside of it though!

Old 02-06-2009, 02:16 PM

8,010 posts, read 16,071,770 times
I'll second the suggestion for Asheville NC. It's a great town. It's on the smaller end of what you're looking for, but still very nice.

I'd also look at Providence RI. Mild winters by New England standards, but certainly all 4 seasons. It is very progressive and has many colleges and universities in town (Brown, RISD, Providence College, URI, Johnson and Wales, etc being the primary ones). You're minutes from the beaches and beautiful Rhode Island coastline, and a few hours from the Mountains of Maine, NH and VT, skiing daytrips are easy to do from Providence.

It's got a gorgeous downtown, vibrant neighborhoods and a diverse population. You'd be on rail lines with easy access to Boston and New York and Boston's only a 45 minute drive away. It's an excellent city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or