U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 02:52 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,822 posts, read 33,219,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepsinc View Post
I second Pittsburgh. It seems to fit almost all of your criteria, except for maybe extremity of seasons, which isn't really that bad. Winter can be harsh, but I've learned to like it, and I hated winter before moving here.
It's larger than the OP was looking for.

http://www.city-data.com/us-cities/T...n-Profile.html

City Residents
1980: 423,959
1990: 369,879
2000: 334,563
2003 estimate: 325,337

Metropolitan Area Residents
1980: 2,219,000
1990: 2,394,811
2000: 2,358,695
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2009, 02:55 PM

2,418 posts, read 4,196,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
It's larger than the OP was looking for.

http://www.city-data.com/us-cities/T...n-Profile.html

City Residents
1980: 423,959
1990: 369,879
2000: 334,563
2003 estimate: 325,337

Metropolitan Area Residents
1980: 2,219,000
1990: 2,394,811
2000: 2,358,695

They said "smallish city, say 150,000-300,000". The 2008 estimate is 311,000 so I thought maybe there was some leeway if it met the other requirements.

Old 02-07-2009, 08:52 PM

44 posts, read 94,703 times
Madison, WI

Old 02-07-2009, 09:00 PM

138 posts, read 325,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
I might suggest Tulsa, Oklahoma but the population is higher than what you specified.
Tulsa, Oklahoma might be a bit too conservative and I don't think its the most scenic location, though it definately beats OK City. However cost of living there is low and you can get a large home in a subdivision at a fairly reasonable price.

Old 02-08-2009, 12:18 PM

193 posts, read 429,513 times
Not to mention, you will never meet nicer people than the people you will meet in Tulsa, OK, or Oklahoma City for that matter. They're friendly, extroverted, helpful, and very kind. I've been to Tulsa a dozen times in the past 5 years and am never ceased to be amazed by the overall sense of kindness in that town. I've lived in New England, Texas, and Florida, and traveled most of the US, and Oklahoman's are generally a wonderful group of people.

Old 02-09-2009, 08:28 AM

271 posts, read 903,370 times
Many thanks to all of you--and I hope I don't miss anybody.

Stormcrow, we hadn't thought of Little Rock, but you've provided some tempting information. We know we're not going to get everything we're seeking anywhere. But getting away from extreme summer heat and humidity is one thing we agree on. It will, of course, come down to a compromise.

atlantagreg, Asheville is on our list, has been for a while, and we plan to visit. Do I remember correctly that there isn't a top-rated hospital near by? We, potentially, need that, and the sort of doctors who would have privileges there.

tablemtn, Eugene has come to our attention. A western relative recommends it. Still on the list, but housing prices do have to drop.

stan4, we hadn't considered anywhere in Texas. Going to do some research!

ckhthankgod, lots of good links. I lived near Syracuse for several years quite a while back. Good city, and I don't mind snow--but my hub does!

watchoverme, yes, agree that the Carolinas should be considered carefully. We've lived for a while in a small city that's kind of a mix politically. We lean a bit toward liberal, but we just stay away from volatile issues and find commonground with friends and neighbors. Still, we'd prefer a more progressive area, though--as with climate--we know there will be compromises.

Golden-mind-State, yup, Sacramento has been on the list, but moving down because of housing prices.

Alanboy395, I so love that Lexington KY is screaming for me! I love the beauty of the area, and the horses too! We hadn't really thought about it, so it's on the list for sure.

All right, I think I'm completely out of order with my replies, but Bowie, Madison and its 'burbs have been on our list. Love many things about it, but my husband is pretty negative about the winters. It has got so much going for it, I think.

a tree grows, we love San Francisco, and even lived there for too brief a time, but it's so far beyond our reach financially. I think that appears to be true for anywhere in California that, otherwise, meets our criteria.

LovinDecatur, have to admit that we haven't gotten around to considering Alabama, mostly because of climate--but promise to take a look, and thanks.

johnnyc and creepsincity, know and like Pittsburgh. Lots of good things, and terrific hospitals. But just this minute checked with husband who says weather absolutely cancels it out.

censusdata, wonderful pictures! Thank you. Already so love many things about Lexington. Still a few things to work out with youngest member of our family.

irfox, if I were the only one choosing, it would likely be New England, though I haven't thought about Rhode Island, and will do some research. The areas in NE where we'd like to live seem, with possible exception of NH, to be too expensive. Hub says NH is too cold.

Kidyankee, I think Richmond was on the list--and that hub took it off. Can't remember why and will check with him.

natman, OK! Will research Spokane, thanks.

jeromeville, yes, I know those a great NY state cities, and have lived near two of them. Snow overwhelms hub, and have to say I remember some winters there that I--no snow hater--struggled with.

BDublr and, again, watchoverme, we hadn't considered Oklahoma, though we both know some great Oklahomans. Will take a good look!

DannyBanany, we know and like those parts of Colorado, but have to say that when we last visited a couple years ago, one of us had some fairly significant altitude problems, so we've crossed the area off the list. It would be wonderful to think that more time--more than the 10 days we were there last time--would bring about adjustment, but I guess we'd have to visit for significantly longer to know for certain.

I may have missed a few of you and, sorry. I will point my husband to this thread happily! Lots of great info!

Annie

Old 02-09-2009, 08:33 AM

1,125 posts, read 4,103,931 times
providence RI fits the bill

Old 02-09-2009, 07:23 PM

193 posts, read 429,513 times
Thanks for the update! Let us know as you do more research

Old 02-13-2009, 03:20 AM

10 posts, read 20,311 times
I concur with Madison, WI. Great hospitals, highly progressive city, perfect size, great scenery (on an isthmus between two lakes), etc. The list goes on but you are correct, the winters can be quite cold.

Old 02-13-2009, 03:37 AM

321 posts, read 1,019,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Do some googling for Asheville, North Carolina.

Beautiful mid-sized mountain city, with a stronger than average arts scene for a town it's size. In the mountains and draws lots of people in the Autumn for it's well known leaf changing scenes. Lots to do there, but it's also only 1.5 hours from Charlotte and 3.5 hours from Atlanta in case you need larger city stuff.
Yes I do agree with you about that.
Asheville is a very restful place to live with a lot of nice categories near you.
I would defiantly recommend Asheville when it comes to living there for a while!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or