U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 07:32 AM

6,046 posts, read 10,047,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VerBoston View Post
I live in Mass. and I'm researching a move to warmer climes based on the climate and lower cost of living
Good for you. It's never worth it to stay somewhere you hate. Out of the places you're thinking of, I would recommend Austin (and if you want suburbs of Austin, Round Rock) and possibly South Carolina depending on which area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2009, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Of the options you listed I like Austin and Tucson the best. Decent size cities with plenty to do and lot's of sunshine. Tennessee winters aren't all that warm and sunny.
Austin and Tucson are nice (in fact I might be moving to Tucson) but Tennessee would seem warm compared to the Northeast. Tennessee gets 4 seasons but the winters are a lot more bearable than the Northeast.

Old 02-07-2009, 08:29 AM

2,602 posts, read 4,319,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
Good for you. It's never worth it to stay somewhere you hate. Out of the places you're thinking of, I would recommend Austin (and if you want suburbs of Austin, Round Rock) and possibly South Carolina depending on which area.
Did I miss where Verboston said anything about hating the NE?

Old 02-07-2009, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
Did I miss where Verboston said anything about hating the NE?
VerBoston said he/she is looking for a warmer climate and lower cost of living. It's impossible to find both of those in New England (lower cost of living, maybe in some areas. warm climate, forget it).

Old 02-07-2009, 05:17 PM

55 posts, read 177,576 times
Thanks everyone! My husband could stay within Liberty Mutual but our only options in the IT field are Seattle,WA and Portland Oregon.

Old 02-07-2009, 05:28 PM

I need the sun and warmth! New Mexico seems really nice for climate but there are too few jobs as far as I can see. Hmmm I just spoke to my parents about moving and I am so relieved to have told them. This isn't the first time we've hinted at moving in the future but now we have a 2 year old daughter. We do have to sell our house but we may rent it out as well. We'll see. Let the adventure begin!

Old 02-07-2009, 05:52 PM

5,969 posts, read 7,742,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollyrose View Post
I need the sun and warmth! New Mexico seems really nice for climate but there are too few jobs as far as I can see. Hmmm I just spoke to my parents about moving and I am so relieved to have told them. This isn't the first time we've hinted at moving in the future but now we have a 2 year old daughter. We do have to sell our house but we may rent it out as well. We'll see. Let the adventure begin!
New Mexico is a great choice.

Old 02-07-2009, 06:09 PM

2,515 posts, read 4,384,184 times
hollyrose, I used to think SAD was just one more "buzz word" without a lot to back it up. But the older I get, the more I know I can't ignore it anymore. I'm looking to get out of NY and move somewhere in the mid-Atlantic region. I grew up in Colorado & agree w/ the other posters about all the warmth & sun in NM, AZ, & TX. I just want a little more green than the west and a milder winter than the northeast...a la TN or VA.

As far as missing your family; they can come to see you! Might be nice for them to get some sunshine, too!
Plus, get a web cam. They are relatively cheap now, and a great way to keep the kids from forgetting what Gramma & Grampa look like (& sound like!)

Best of luck to you.

Old 02-07-2009, 06:17 PM

Yeah I feel better about the move now that I talked to my parents. My husband just has to look for jobs in a month and sell our house and see what happens. We were possibly thinking the Carolinas as well. I love the ocean. I would probably miss it being in the desert but I also like the moutain landscape.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.