U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 09:00 AM

55 posts, read 177,545 times

Advertisements

I was just wondering if anyone of you has moved away from the north east due to SAD. I have SAD and live in southern NH. It has gotten worse over the past few years. The only problem is now that we have a two year old daughter it will be hard to move away from family. Part me says to go for it. My husband and I have talked about moving for about 5 years now. We would like to move to a warmer climate with more sunshine. Any insight would be great. I do have blues buster light bulb in my lamp next to my bed but I'm not really sure if that is helping and I do take B vitamins daily.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2009, 09:48 AM

193 posts, read 429,354 times
I would get out if you can. I'm from CT and have lived in TX and FL in the past and find it much more bearable. Check out Texas and NC. You'll notice on the forums, its where everyone seems to be heading these days- good economies, moderately low cost of living, and warm weather. I just went on a 2 week long roadtrip thru nc, sc, ga, tx, ok, and tn. I chose austin, tx. I'm really looking forward to getting back to warmer weather. Good luck!

Old 02-05-2009, 09:59 AM

Thanks for the reply. I have been thinking Texas too. Houses are so cheap. My husband is a Manager in the IT Dept. for Liberty Mutual here in NH. I don't think he'll have a problem finding a job. I feel like I just need a change and would like a warmer climate with more sun!

Old 02-05-2009, 10:07 AM

5,721 posts, read 9,085,203 times
Western Kansas has a pretty good economy, cheap housing and PLENTY of sunshine. The climate is milder than New England, approaching semi arid and won't be as humid as the southern region.

Old 02-05-2009, 10:18 AM

193 posts, read 429,354 times
TX is a great place in many ways. I considered Dallas, Houston and Austin, and chose Austin. Split political climate (more liberal than other parts of Texas- a lot of blue downtown and red in the suburbs), best scenery, right size city, great feel and people. We liked Houston a lot but it gets a lot of slack in general due to the poor air quality and humidity. Most Texans not from Houston give Houston a hard time, but we actually really liked it! Very warm, mix of oak like trees and palms, very affordable. Dallas has a beautiful skyline and a lot of ammenities and things to do, but is the most "Texas" of the three and we knew that would be too intense for New Englanders. I definitely suggest doing more Texas research though and if you like what you see, visiting each city. They all offer something different.

Old 02-05-2009, 10:37 AM

4,908 posts, read 12,520,941 times
I'm not sure moving is the answer for mood transformation especially if you are leaving behind family. If you are having mood issues your best bet is to seek medical help asap, medicine,counseling,exercise, even a change in diet has shown to be tremendously effective in changing positive chemistry in the body and brain.

I know its an old cliche but the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. If you are moving because of a job,a dream or because you truly dislike your current area then moving is advisable. On the otherhand moving because you think it will solve emotional issues might be a stretch and potentially the move could worsen symptoms. New Hampshire seems like a very nice place to raise a family.The key here is knowing that living in NH is the problem and not something else.

Good luck.

Old 02-05-2009, 11:16 AM

I wouldn't be moving just because of the SAD but for a warmer climate, different scenery and way of life. I feel like I need to experience something different even if I miss family. My parents live 3 hours away in northern Vermont so sometimes we only see them every 2 months. Hmmmmm.......

Old 02-05-2009, 12:11 PM

2,602 posts, read 4,318,635 times
Hope the tornados, killer bees, and heat waves treat you better.

Just kidding.

Old 02-05-2009, 03:53 PM

10,234 posts, read 13,979,154 times
Avoid the Pacific Northwest. I, too, suffer from SAD, and my worst period is from mid-April thru May (and often June). I'm more accepting of winter because, well. . it's winter. But after two months of grey gloom I get starved for the spring that we really don't get here. Southern Oregon isn't so bad,though. You may love northern Arizona, like Flagstaff. It does snow there but the season isn't anything like the northeast, and the summers are nice. Santa Fe, New Mexico, same thing, although it has very high altitude.

It's vitamin D that you really should be taking for sure. I always keep a bottle handy for "those seasons".

Old 02-05-2009, 04:19 PM

8,114 posts, read 17,319,771 times
Go for it, Holly. I moved from the northeast, as well, from New Jersey, in my case, to New Mexico. Only after I moved did I realize that I likely suffered from SAD, at least to a degree. The last winter full winter I spent in NJ, I think I had it figured out: it wasn't so much the cold as the cloud cover. If it was a cold, but sunny day, it wasn't nearly as unbearable.

With that said, you must prep yourself for an inevitable cultural change. For it's my opinion that most of New England is very, very different that the rest of the country, and I mean that in a positive way. I am talking specifically about land use planning, and to a degree, the citizenry. I think New Englanders, for instance, put a very high premium on education. You won't find nearly as much widespread poverty in many areas of New England (especially southern NH) as you might find in the rest of the country. I didn't realize the disparity until I left NJ. There are some days I tire of the poverty and crime here, to be honest. But when you have a winter as pleasant as the one we've had this year, it really offsets some of the other factors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.