U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-06-2009, 12:55 PM

3 posts, read 5,299 times
Default Recent grad; Relocate suggestions?

I am a 22 y/o recent graduate with an accounting degree and trying to figure out my next move. After 4 years living in Tallahassee, FL itís time to move on to a different city. However, that is my problem I have no idea where I want to relocate. Iím looking at larger cities, with warm weather (preferably), possibly near the beach, affordable, laid back atmosphere, and great job opportunitiesÖI am certainly open to jobs requiring travel since Iím young, single, and have nothing tying me down. I know this isnít an incredibly specific thread but I need a great deal of guidance and advice and would love to hear from anyone that is in the same situation or has been in the same situation. THANKS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2009, 01:05 PM

6,046 posts, read 5,752,624 times
If you can't get a job in Tallahassee, stay in the same general area (Florida/Georgia) but in a different city. It sounds like Tallahassee fits what you're looking for but you can't find a job in Tallahassee.

Old 02-06-2009, 01:43 PM

117 posts, read 295,238 times
Wilmington, NC would bean option. How about the Gulf Coast of Florida?

Old 02-06-2009, 02:14 PM

8,183 posts, read 10,772,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachelmm55 View Post
I am a 22 y/o recent graduate with an accounting degree and trying to figure out my next move. After 4 years living in Tallahassee, FL itís time to move on to a different city. However, that is my problem I have no idea where I want to relocate. Iím looking at larger cities, with warm weather (preferably), possibly near the beach, affordable, laid back atmosphere, and great job opportunitiesÖI am certainly open to jobs requiring travel since Iím young, single, and have nothing tying me down. I know this isnít an incredibly specific thread but I need a great deal of guidance and advice and would love to hear from anyone that is in the same situation or has been in the same situation. THANKS!

If you can do without the beach, I'll throw in Chattanooga. It gets a little cold but not too bad.
I wish I could go but am locked into a pesky little pension thing.

Good luck on where every you go. And...Go Noles!

Old 02-06-2009, 09:39 PM

193 posts, read 299,350 times
I am 21 and relocating to move my small business to somewhere warmer than CT and with a better economy and lower cost of living. I chose Austin, TX after a recent 2 week long road trip visiting 10 cities. I visited Raleigh, Charlotte, Nashville, Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, and Austin (and a few others that would be too small for you I think).

Nashville, Houston, Charlotte, Raleigh and Austin were our favorites. Raleigh is beautiful and booming, but on the smaller side. Houston has an amazing economy, but not quite enough of a "vibe" for us (but we did love it actually). Nashville was very nice but a bit too country musicy for us and not quite built up enough yet- although they're working on it. Charlotte is the perfect size city and the area is really very pretty, and the weather is great, but it had the same problem as Nashville- still growing and therefore the crime isn't great right now and its not quite busy enough downtown.

I would start by researching strong economies, then research the best economies on a personal level, then visit your top and apply for jobs in your final choices.

Austin is incredible- it's young, vibrant, warm, laid back, busy, active, booming economy wise, relatively recession proof, and pretty inexpensive for the most part. We are very happy with our selection.

If you search threads by me, you'll see I did a charlotte and raleigh review.

Old 02-07-2009, 06:49 AM

8,190 posts, read 5,704,403 times
Charleston maybe?

Old 02-07-2009, 08:43 PM

138 posts, read 216,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachelmm55 View Post
In this economy, its wherever you can find a job. I know how it feels to be young, have nothing tying you down, and wanting to move to the big city, but its easier said than done in an economy like this. Unless you have a killer resume, I wouldn't waste my time with Austin and Seattle. Great cities for young people but EXTREMELY cutthroat job markets even in good times. Maybe look at Jacksonville, Atlanta, Tampa Bay, B'ham, Mobile, and other regional population centers if you are just dead set against Tallahassee.

One tip: Your job search will probably go much better if you stay in north Florida.

Old 02-07-2009, 10:55 PM

15,956 posts, read 8,333,208 times
No matter how great a place might appear from an objective point of view, if the people who matter to me lived far away from that place, I would probably feel lonely and unhappy there as I am introverted and not good at making friends. And if one has a family, one can be happy pretty much anywhere, even in Detroit or Afghanistan
So, if I moved to a different place for whatever reason, people would be my number one priority. A fancy skyline is nice to look at for maybe 3 minutes, and usually only from a distance.

If while investigating potential places to settle down, on the respective Convention & Visitors Bureau sites I find numerous photos of festivities having taken place in cities, which according to statistics have a black population of 40 or 50%, and all the people on those photos are white, I can't help but think there must be something wrong with those places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.