U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 10:22 AM

3,742 posts, read 6,907,044 times

Advertisements

What's undebatable is that the U.S. is the most diverse country in almost every way imaginable. No country I think can match our variance in weather, economic resources, agriculture, landscape, varying cultures from region to region, and racial diversity. Not to mention, most countries do not have the economic strength, military, and money that we have. I also would imagine our poverty rates to be incredibly low compared to the vast majority of countries out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2009, 11:47 AM

10,234 posts, read 13,989,816 times
Jazz. Blues. Rock 'n' Roll. R & B. Country & Western. Rap (and, yes, I include this with a little cringing).

Movies. TV. Certain dances.

BBQ (some of the best cuisine there is). Southern cuisines.

Football (although it originated as Rugby in England). Basketball. Lacrosse (actually an ancient Native Indian game). Baseball probably didn't originate here but it's as American as salmon.

The numerous festivals of all kinds throughout the states that celebrate American AND other cultures! Carnivale itself (Mardi Gras) may not have originated in Louisiana but it damn sure is Louisiana's culture nevertheless. In fact, Louisiana is a culture all to itself.

Well-stocked grocery stores and choices of places to eat, to read, parks. ... The freedom to go out there and enjoy all these things unless you have religious restrictions that inhibit your ability to appreciate them.

Old 02-07-2009, 12:07 PM

193 posts, read 429,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepsinc View Post
And give me a break. I'm far from a stereotypical flag-waving patriot, but c'mon. This country was founded by free-thinkers. And they didn't all own slaves, either.

Television gave us All In The Family and Roots, and McDonald's fries are one of life's greatest pleasures. I haven't eaten meat in almost 20 years and I've never stopped going there. Sounds like somebody got their idea of American culture by reading trite bumper stickers on the back of a Subaru Outback.
HAH! Love that final quote.

Old 02-07-2009, 01:40 PM

87,011 posts, read 102,621,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
Budweiser (insert alcohol beverage here), McDonalds (insert unhealthy choice of food here), HDTV, television (insert the most un-talked about legal drug to ever exist here), and letting others do the thinking for you because it's just easier that way! That is American culture in a nutshell.
Most countries in Europe have a higher rate of binge drinking and alcoholism than the US. Europeans are FAR more likely to smoke cigarettes than Americans. My DH was in Bejing, China, where there was a McDonald's every few blocks. They are also very common in Canada. TV watching is even more common in Japan than here. HDTV is just another form of TV. Americans tend to be way more independent thinkers and more willing to take risks, according to scientists who have worked with European scientists.

Old 02-07-2009, 02:12 PM

10,234 posts, read 13,989,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
Budweiser (insert alcohol beverage here), McDonalds (insert unhealthy choice of food here), HDTV, television (insert the most un-talked about legal drug to ever exist here), and letting others do the thinking for you because it's just easier that way! That is American culture in a nutshell.
And you think beer and alcohol isn't consumed everywhere else?????? Or fast food??????

We are rich in produce (home-grown fresh AND imported), and I know more people who eat "healthy" or moderately-healthy over those who "live" on McDonalds. TV? Hate it all you want, but that little box was the invention to literally open up communication through-out the world. There are lots of people who hardly watch it for entertainment (some of those people spend more time on another box ~ a computer. . . the very thing you're sitting at right now).

"Do the thinking for you"????? WTF?????

Being American is all about CHOICES. And, hey, guess what? Many countries don't have much of THAT.

Old 02-07-2009, 04:32 PM

895 posts, read 2,146,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Most countries in Europe have a higher rate of binge drinking and alcoholism than the US. Europeans are FAR more likely to smoke cigarettes than Americans. My DH was in Bejing, China, where there was a McDonald's every few blocks. They are also very common in Canada. TV watching is even more common in Japan than here. HDTV is just another form of TV. Americans tend to be way more independent thinkers and more willing to take risks, according to scientists who have worked with European scientists.

Old 02-07-2009, 04:36 PM

I think american "culture" in itself is very diverse, but in general since i can only compare to japanese, americans are more individualistic. In japan its mostly a group mentality. In US people will touch eachother or be closer to eachother more than japan but not as much as say latin countries.. American "culture" is everything though mostly western it also has large influences in african and latin cultures too.

Old 02-07-2009, 05:00 PM

2,116 posts, read 4,203,703 times
Apple Pie, Honey Dutches, Pinch Hitters, Hand guns, Pabst Blue Ribbon, Raccoons, the A-bomb, Assembly lines, the English language, Ketchup, Packaged meats, Banjos, Soy bean oil, CCR, Pick-up trucks, Tall Ts, Sweet Tea, Tee times, Hula Hoops, Canyons, Gridiron, Gridlock, Sunsets, Disrepecting women, chewing on strands of wheat, Jesus Christ, Salmon, rolling back prices, doughnuts, Jews, serial killers, sugar, The Moon, Crystal Meth, Elvis impersonators, RVs, fat people, Baloney (spelt like that), Trees, Tri-cornor hats, flat brimmed hats, Puerto Ricans, crazy uncles, cattle, Solo cups, money, electricity, Fire, speed, fireworks, marching bands, beating up the marching band, bullies, Jazz, Mormons, Who wants to be a millionaire, text messaging, drive-thrus, drive-ins, driving, drive, disney world, D2: Mighty Ducks, Sonic, etc

Old 02-07-2009, 05:15 PM

87,011 posts, read 102,621,396 times
Well, the stats have changed since I last saw them. It's a bit hard to believe that Americans watch 8 hrs/day of TV, since most of us work 8 hrs (8 1/2 - 9 with lunch), commute to work, and sleep 8 hrs. In addition, you have to spend at least 1-2 hrs eating (which, yes, you can do watching TV), putting the dishes in the DW, doing laundry, etc. There are not 8 hrs left!

Old 02-07-2009, 05:44 PM

^^ it includes weekends and then is divided by 7 (and vacations). It means people can watch 4 hours a day on workdays and then can spend most of saturday/sunday wathing TV. But watching TV in japan is nothing like US. Most japanese families just watch TV after we eat dinner. And maybe to watch the news on weekends. Japan only has an obesity rate of 3% (compared to 34% in US) so we are more active in general..(plus diet).

Last edited by Bibi12; 02-07-2009 at 06:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.