U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 08:36 AM

3,047 posts, read 8,142,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
The easiest ways to spot Americans over seas are:
1--As stated by a previous poster, the way that we dress, in particular the brands and style of clothes.
2--Americans tend to casually discuss the 'culture' of what ever country that they happen to be in while forgetting one simple fact; that at least half the people within earshot understand the English language. I have overheard some pretty ridiculous comments by Americans who assumed that no one else could understand them.
3--Americans are absolutely convinced that everyone and everything is out to rip them off.

I just find the idea of discussing Americans being overseas both funny and ironic because 90% of Americans do not own a passport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2009, 02:49 PM

2,418 posts, read 4,197,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
One can not compare today's minds to the free thinkers such as Ben Franklin that existed many, many years ago. America is no longer like that. America isn't anything like it was in the 1940's or the 1960's. Today's America really consists of a bunch of rats in a maze who are told where to go by roughly 400 large corporations. Americans are druggies. They are addicted to the television. And one can not compare other country's viewing material to that of America's. There is no comparison, especially when it comes to brain-dead commercials that repeat themselves 3 or 4 times in a 30 second frame to pound their advertisement home into your subconscious.

I really don't respect roughly 40-60% of Americans because they don't take care of themselves on any level whether it be physically, spiritually (no religion needed for this), or mentally. I don't think that I am smarter than 80% of Americans out there but you really have to wonder where about 80% of the population's head is at. Americans (mostly not all) are secluded and do not have a world/human viewpoint because the controlled viewing material that they have doesn't tell them about those types of things. If you think about it, how many Americans base their daily conversations, or their linguistic abilities, on what they hear and see from the radio or television opposed to the dictionary or what they see and hear introspectively? I could be totally wrong, but I honsetly believe that many americans are selfish and rough around the edges. I won't even bring up Morals...especially, compared to countries like Japan or Australia.
The same things are true about people the world over. The British are less "rough around the edges"? Or Greeks? Or Italians? Or Egyptians? Etc? Etc?

Gimme a break.

And the freethinker/Ben Franklin comment in the beginning is just asinine.

Old 02-09-2009, 02:53 PM

1,624 posts, read 2,908,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICAGOLAND92 View Post
I believe this question comes from my lack of traveling abroad (yet), but what exactly is American culture? For example, how can one tell when someone is from the US? What qualities, mannerisms, etc let one know that a person is from America? What makes us different from people in Canada or the U.K.?
Well. You go to Texas and feels like a different country than let's say New York or California. It is hard to talk about a single culture when the country is so big.

Old 02-09-2009, 03:01 PM

3,277 posts, read 4,617,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICAGOLAND92 View Post
America is easily one of the most diverse nations in the world. From Germans to Nigerians, we seem to have a little bit of everything. Immigrants from around the world have retained their culture, while contributing to ours.

I believe this question comes from my lack of traveling abroad (yet), but what exactly is American culture? For example, how can one tell when someone is from the US? What qualities, mannerisms, etc let one know that a person is from America? What makes us different from people in Canada or the U.K.?
Unless you're going for the stereotypical loud, sloppy tourist in a Hawaiian shirt, I don't really think there are many overt mannerisms shared by the entire country. And that's how I like it. I would rather resent being pigeonholed.

Old 02-09-2009, 03:37 PM

3,047 posts, read 8,142,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepsinc View Post
The same things are true about people the world over.
Yes, but America is the center for it all. as for being rough around the edges, the last time I checked the Greeks and Italians weren't nearly as violent as Americans. And with violence comes a whole lot of coarseness.

Old 02-09-2009, 03:43 PM

3,234 posts, read 7,633,801 times
People that make sweeping generalizations about an entire country of people are just as stupid and ignorant as the group they are putting down.

Old 02-09-2009, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
People that make sweeping generalizations about an entire country of people are just as stupid and ignorant as the group they are putting down.
Rep points for you!

Old 02-09-2009, 04:44 PM

2,116 posts, read 4,204,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At1WithNature View Post
the last time I checked the Greeks and Italians weren't nearly as violent as Americans.
where have you been? Greece was tearing itself apart a few months ago.

there is violence everywhere and there always will be.

Old 02-09-2009, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWereRabbit View Post
where have you been? Greece was tearing itself apart a few months ago.

there is violence everywhere and there always will be.

Nature is violent. Somebody who calls themselves "At1withNature" should know that.

Old 02-09-2009, 05:41 PM

I'm cursed with being extremely annoyed with the Archie Bunker "love it or leave it types" just as much as the hippies who spell Amerika with a K.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.