U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 02:10 PM

28,905 posts, read 46,767,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
You are missing the point. Your family members may choose to live far from their jobs, but that doesn't mean everyone has to. Yes, there are trade-offs. I could have gotten a lot more house for my money had I moved to the outer burbs, but I would rather spend time with family and friends in my adequately-sized house than behind the wheel stuck on the freeway every day. Plus, I like those extra winks I get in the morning, since I don't have to leave as early!
I highlighted what I felt were the operative words in your post. In a lot of cities throughout the region, there simply isn't a trade off between having affordable housing choices and living conveniently. If you are a middle-income family with a couple of kids who is selective about schools, etc., then your options narrow a great deal in Atlanta. In other Southern cities, your options don't narrow nearly as much, or as rapidly.

Look. I'm not harshing on Atlanta. I like going there and, if I had scads of disposable income and didn't have three kids, I might even live there. But if the OP is really looking for reduced hassle in life, along with a balance of amenities, etc., then Atlanta isn't where he/she is going to find it. The fact that the OP found Greenville, South Carolina, to be a great place clued me to the fact that that person finds mid-sized cities more appealing. In turn, this means that Atlanta probably is not the place for them.

I think that one of the problems on this board is that when people read these kind of thread, they automatically turn into chamber of commerce members and automatically tout their cities, no matter what the criteria may be.

Last edited by cpg35223; 02-13-2009 at 02:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2009, 02:21 PM

1,653 posts, read 5,164,901 times
I'm going to say Virginia Beach. Commute times in Hampton Roads vary depending on where you're going and what time you travel (as with most places), but most times a 20 min drive will get you anywhere you need to go. We have Norfolk Int'l Airport (ORF) nearby, and First Landing State Park with miles of walking trails, the Va Beach Oceanfront with the famous boardwalk, and miles of beach that's great for walking on (see Chicks Beach). The cost of living isn't TOO bad either. As far as concerts go, we have lots of venues, some big (Va Beach Amphitheater, Norfolk Scope, Hampton Coliseum), some for well known musicians, but not huge shows (The NorVa), and some small with mostly local musicians (just about any bar/club in the area).

Old 02-13-2009, 02:51 PM

56,736 posts, read 81,038,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xGrendelx View Post
I'm going to say Virginia Beach. Commute times in Hampton Roads vary depending on where you're going and what time you travel (as with most places), but most times a 20 min drive will get you anywhere you need to go. We have Norfolk Int'l Airport (ORF) nearby, and First Landing State Park with miles of walking trails, the Va Beach Oceanfront with the famous boardwalk, and miles of beach that's great for walking on (see Chicks Beach). The cost of living isn't TOO bad either. As far as concerts go, we have lots of venues, some big (Va Beach Amphitheater, Norfolk Scope, Hampton Coliseum), some for well known musicians, but not huge shows (The NorVa), and some small with mostly local musicians (just about any bar/club in the area).
My brother lives in VA Beach and has been trying to get me to move down there for a while. He likes it a lot.

Old 02-13-2009, 02:58 PM

1,653 posts, read 5,164,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
My brother lives in VA Beach and has been trying to get me to move down there for a while. He likes it a lot.
I love it here. Most people only know it for the tourism/Oceanfront/beach stuff, but there's a lot more than just that. Have you ever been here?

Old 02-14-2009, 09:50 AM

341 posts, read 1,220,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Yes. But how much did you pay for your house? And where are your kids going to school?

LOL. Im 25 and I rent and what I pay is NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS, and I dont have any kids as of yet. When I do have kids I will still live in the city, the public schools in this area are actually decent compared to the others in the rest of the city.

Old 02-14-2009, 10:17 AM

18,652 posts, read 27,087,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchoverme View Post

Also on my roadtrip was Austin, TX (which I chose to relocate to now after the trip), Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, Asheville, Nashville, Oklahoma City, Tulsa, and San Antonio. Atlanta and Dallas felt too huge, Houston we liked a lot(huge however we found life to feel slower there than Dallas and Atlanta), Oklahoma City and Tulsa too small for us personally- but great cities to us, Nashville too country for us but also a great city, Asheville too hippy and in the middle of nowhere (hit harder by recession), and San Antonio just didn't compare to Austin.

Good luck! If you do a search of threads made by my user name, you'll see two really long raleigh charlotte reviews I made.
Don't know about Atlanta. Didn't spend extensive time there to know the difference. But Dallas a faster pace than Houston? First I ever heard that from anyone. Interesting though.

Old 02-14-2009, 11:48 AM

28,905 posts, read 46,767,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Virgo Child View Post
LOL. Im 25 and I rent and what I pay is NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS, and I dont have any kids as of yet. When I do have kids I will still live in the city, the public schools in this area are actually decent compared to the others in the rest of the city.
Well, you have the luxury to think that right now, since you don't have kids. I was one of those urban dwellers, too. Tried to be one of the enlightened ones and sent my kids to an inner city school that was supposedly "decent." Well, it wasn't. So after seven years of writing tuition checks to private schools, we finally bailed for the suburbs. Glad we did. When the last child graduates, we'll probably move a lot closer to downtown again. But nothing comes between my child and a first-class education.

Old 02-14-2009, 12:52 PM

8,190 posts, read 12,340,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightynortons View Post
Ok, it's time to move south. We've visited Greenville, SC and were impressed but I'm not sure I'm ready for the really slow pace. Any suggestions on somewhere in the southeast where there are walking trails, good concerts, access to an airport, decent commuting times, and reasonable cost of living?
Greenville has everything you're looking for and more. You'll get used to the slower pace and might even come to like it.

But if you did need a place with a slightly faster pace, I would recommend Charlotte.

Old 02-14-2009, 12:54 PM

8,190 posts, read 12,340,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Crime in Southern cities is typically spread out over most or all of the metropolitan area, whereas crime in the NE is confined to certain inner city neighborhoods.
Huh? You got anything to substantiate that claim?

Old 02-19-2009, 02:58 PM

149 posts, read 358,897 times
Knoxville, Chattanooga, Asheville, Charlotte, Atlanta, Birmingham, Mobile, Huntsville, Nashville, Savannah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or