U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 06:33 PM

5,691 posts, read 8,758,435 times

Advertisements

When I was riding a train through Grand Junction Co, I was surprised to see all the peach orchards. To me, peach trees = mild winters.

Plus they have hot springs you can dip into if you get cold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2009, 06:52 PM

34 posts, read 60,576 times
Sometimes in Dallas it could be in the 20s the next day in the 70s. You just might never know in Texas!

Old 02-09-2009, 07:16 PM

20,005 posts, read 69,407,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post
And did you miss the fact that prior to this weekend, we've had the tenth coldest winter on record? Did you miss the fact that the average temperature this January was 15 degrees? Did you miss the fact that we had a couple of feet of snow on the ground from the end of December to the beginning of February? After all that, we had one abnormally warm weekend. Yeah, I would say cold and snowy is a more accurate description. After 15 some years of (relatively) mild winters, this is the second in a row that could be considered more "normal".
Our snow levels have been normal, sunshine above normal, temps below normal. My point was that Chicago is not friggin Barrows, AK, like some people make it out to be.

Old 02-09-2009, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
Maybe that poster did miss the 2 days you highlight, but was there when it hit -18 with wind chills to -40 less than a month ago. Or maybe the poster didn't miss the other 11 days when the temperature dropped to 0 or below this fall/winter .

That kind of cold does not happen in most major cities, except for Minneapolis.
We had 2 ridiculously cold days. Oooooh. And no, those temps dont occur in many cities, but then again, theyre pretty rare in Chicago, too. Sorry, but its not like everyday we're 40-60 degrees BELOW average temps like we were on those freak days.

Old 02-09-2009, 07:23 PM

56,595 posts, read 80,890,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newarkbomb View Post
Nyc/nj/ct

both these states and city have winters, yes. But the winters are up and down.. they're cold and then they have days that are pleasent (40s 50s) like today for example, Im in north jersey about 10 miles west of NYC and it was 55 today. That's not the normal temp for February let me tell ya. And yes it snows, but nothing drastic like parts of the mid-west and northern NY state.
Actually, it was in the 40's today in Syracuse and will be 55 for the next two days.

Old 02-09-2009, 07:28 PM

Quote:
:

When does Phoenix see snow? You clearly have NEVER been to Phoenix. Or maybe that Phoenix's lowest temperature last month was 41 while it got down to 42 in Miami. Huge difference.
Youre comparing ONE freak day in Miami to something that happens frequently in PHX (temps in the 40s and 30s at night). DO YOU EVEN LIVE IN PHOENIX? In fact, youll be in the 30s and 40s the rest of the week, genius:
Phoenix, Arizona (85001) Conditions & Forecast : Weather Underground

And 23 days last month were in the 40s at night:
History : Weather Underground

Now, lets take a look at Miami, Mr. Meteorology! Yep, just as I suspected (no big shock here), Miami's LOW temps are around your HIGH temps.
Miami, Florida (33010) Conditions & Forecast : Weather Underground

Old 02-09-2009, 07:43 PM

Quote:
:

When does Phoenix see snow? You clearly have NEVER been to Phoenix. Or maybe that Phoenix's lowest temperature last month was 41 while it got down to 42 in Miami. Huge difference.
Riiiiiiiiiiiight, Ive never been to Phoenix. I was only there in Scottsdale 2 years ago and watched FLURRIES coming down. We then drove up to Carefree where there was significant snow on the ground. Too bad I didnt have my camera on me at the moment, then I could even embarass you more. Instead, Ill post some pics of Valley snow that I can easily find on the 'net.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_kbz2p6yJsE4/SG...A/DSC00012.JPG

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_kbz2p6yJsE4/SGfLF4yfRbI/AAAAAAAAC2I/FIzMXaF0 (broken link)

Phoenix:
http://gallery.n00bstories.com/d/2054-1/31Jan_1.jpg

http://www.joffe.com/images/PIC00390.jpg (broken link)

Carefree:
http://blog.siena.org/uploaded_image...ay!-716504.jpg

http://www.feverlab.net/meeting/dascombe2.jpg (broken link)

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/52/11...d4cd30cd4c.jpg

http://image46.webshots.com/47/8/91/...0zEBhoc_ph.jpg

Soooo, what about snow not falling in the Valley??? I dont see HOW you could have missed the snowflakes and NOT heard about it all over the news broadcasts!!! I know when we got back home from eating at the Horny Toad that it was major news that Phoenix saw flurries and decent accumulation up in Carefree. Do you own a TV or ever step outside of your house by any chance?

Old 02-09-2009, 08:05 PM

86,996 posts, read 102,581,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
Denver gets these big amounts of snow in snowstorms though. The snow doesn't accumulate over time like it does in the NE and Chicago. It melts within a few days when that reliable sunshine comes back.
This is correct. There is a saying that it doesn't "snow on snow" here, which is true. We had some 70 degree days in January. Not all broke records. That is why I feel Denver falls into the category of "surprisingly warm winters": it can snow a lot, but the average day is fairly warm, at least by NE and midwest standards.

Check out this link. You will see that there are a lot of years with significant "departure" from the 60" as well.

Denver Snowfall Statistics 1882-2008

Old 02-09-2009, 08:14 PM

1,573 posts, read 5,650,769 times
Perhaps not surprising, but Atlanta has great winters. Unlike, say, San Diego, Los Angeles, or Miami, it definitely HAS a winter -- leaves fall off the trees, you get an occasional ice storm or small snow accumulation, and the temps can dip down into the teens on rare occasions. That said, your "typical" winter day in Atlanta is a sunny 55 degrees. Maybe the best part -- no mosquitos, so you can enjoy lots of outdoor activities without getting eaten alive. Honestly, I think winter is Atlanta's best season.

Old 02-09-2009, 08:25 PM

1,793 posts, read 2,703,519 times
Seattle probably would be mild if it wasn't rainy. I would imagine it feels cold with all the rain.

NYC/Philly/DC/Maryland usually have a part of the winter that is really cold and windy and a part of the winter that is mild (Parts of Nov and Dec, and all of Jan was cold this year. Feb has been nice so far). A lot depends on the jet stream and whether it dips in the East or the West.

I am really surprised to hear all the people saying that Denver's winters are mild. From what I have been observing, this winter has been mild in the West and cold in the East, but thats not really typical for Denver is it? I could be wrong, I have never been out there, but isn't the average low temperature around 15 degrees? That's a far cry from being mild, although I guess all the sunny days balance it out a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.