U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 10:27 PM

3,940 posts, read 13,334,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpfan921 View Post

I am really surprised to hear all the people saying that Denver's winters are mild. From what I have been observing, this winter has been mild in the West and cold in the East, but thats not really typical for Denver is it? I could be wrong, I have never been out there, but isn't the average low temperature around 15 degrees? That's a far cry from being mild, although I guess all the sunny days balance it out a bit.
Hmm... I don't think Denver's been too cold this winter really. At least from what I've seen. They're usually in the upper 20s to upper 30s range. These past few weeks they've even hit upper 60s and lower 70s a few times. I was there on November 1st and it was 75 degrees and people were eating out on patios. It was surprising.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2009, 10:47 PM

161 posts, read 556,146 times
One place that is not exactly warm, but a lot milder than most people think is Juneau, Alaska. Most hear Alaska, and thnk bone chilling, unbearable cold. But Juneau and a lot of the Alaskan coast has a very maritime climate lke the Pacific Northwest of the Continental US. The temperature rarely drops below 10F.

Another place that comes to mind is the Tri Cities area of Washington State. The cities of Pasco, Richland, and Kennewick have beautiful winters. They only average 6 inches of snow a year and have a lot of sunny, dry days with highs in the 30s and 40s. It is similar to Lewiston, Idaho which someone mentioned earlier.

Old 02-09-2009, 10:48 PM

86,978 posts, read 102,527,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpfan921 View Post
I am really surprised to hear all the people saying that Denver's winters are mild. From what I have been observing, this winter has been mild in the West and cold in the East, but thats not really typical for Denver is it? I could be wrong, I have never been out there, but isn't the average low temperature around 15 degrees? That's a far cry from being mild, although I guess all the sunny days balance it out a bit.
Your assessment is incorrect. Here are the average highs and lows for December, Jan. and Feb. in Denver:

Dec: 44/16; Jan: 43/15; Feb: 47/19. Also, Denver has extreme variablility. The record highs in Jan. are all in the 60s and 70s. Warm January days occur every year.

From Accuweather.

Here is the entire month of January, 2009 highs, lows and records:

AccuWeather.com Past Month Weather Data for Denver, CO (http://www.accuweather.com/us/co/denver/80201/forecast-climo.asp?partner=accuweather&traveler=1&metric=0& mnYr=1/1/2009 - broken link)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
Hmm... I don't think Denver's been too cold this winter really. At least from what I've seen. They're usually in the upper 20s to upper 30s range. These past few weeks they've even hit upper 60s and lower 70s a few times. I was there on November 1st and it was 75 degrees and people were eating out on patios. It was surprising.
Not at all unusual for Nov. 1.

Old 02-10-2009, 01:34 AM

3,644 posts, read 8,996,337 times
I've been to Toronto twice in the winter. It felt about as cold as Memphis to me. Maybe i'm just not good at feeling temperature differences. The only real difference was there was more snow.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:24 AM

86,978 posts, read 102,527,356 times
Here is a synopsis of January in Boulder, Colorado:

JANUARY WEATHER REVIEW : Get Out : Boulder Daily Camera (http://www.dailycamera.com/news/2009/feb/05/january-weather-review/ - broken link)

"Jan. 2 had a record-high minimum of 50 degrees.. . . . The next day (Jan. 21) was 31 degrees warmer than normal, had a relative humidity reading of just 3 percent, set a record high of 70 degrees and a record-high minimum of 57 degrees."

Mind you, this weather is not all that unusual for January, despite the records set.

Old 02-10-2009, 12:37 PM

12,284 posts, read 31,753,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
Why does everyone say that its mild cause there city is 50 degrees today, so what about the rest of the winter when the majority of the time its cloudy and cold, after all it is Feb. and winter is getting over with with everyday that passes.

I have heard that DC is mild, I wouldnt have thought so but I guess it is.
Considering Newarkbomb mentioned it was in the 50's, I'll assume when you say "majority of the time its cloudy" you're talking about NY/NJ area. Why do you say that? This could not be further from the truth. In fact, most of the time, except when it snows (which isn't that often, less than ppl think), the sun is so bright, the sky so blue, the air so crisp, you want to bottle it up.

Where does the notion come from that cold winter climates = cloudy, dreary and miserable?

Old 02-10-2009, 12:38 PM

542 posts, read 1,287,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
I've been to Toronto twice in the winter. It felt about as cold as Memphis to me. Maybe i'm just not good at feeling temperature differences. The only real difference was there was more snow.
Memphis at times gets pretty cold.

Old 02-10-2009, 12:44 PM

12,284 posts, read 31,753,990 times
To answer this question...... I read it not as "what do I think is cold" but rather "when you hear a city, does the perception of winter equal reality" - my or your personal tolerance is irrelevant.

A few that come to mind:

Seattle - considering how far north it is, it is surprisingly mild. Snow is rare, and temps are in the 40's on average - downright toasty warm if you take into account that Seattle the same lattitude as northern Maine (approximately).

Denver - people think The Rockies, snow, skiing. Denver sure has its wild weather and temps can easily get below zero, but snow isn't as common as you'd think (and it usually melts within a few days) and lots of times you'll see temps in the 60's.

Washington DC - people from other areas I think for some reason believe DC is a frigid place, but really, it's not. Temps in the 40's on average.

Old 02-10-2009, 02:44 PM

456 posts, read 1,439,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Denver gets tons of snowfall and over 60 inches of snow accumulation a year. Even if it gets warm again quickly and gets cold again and gets warm again, Denver's winters are what I would call moderate. Not mild by a long shot. Denver can still get very cold and snowy...how else would so much snow accumulate if Denver didn't get below freezing a lot?
To me, coming from Chicago, they are quite mild. When it does snow here, it doesn't stick around longer than a day or two.

Old 02-10-2009, 08:35 PM

20,005 posts, read 69,384,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
How surprised would you be to know that Chicago records the same early November temps many times? This was from this November, right around the time you were in Denver:
History : Weather Underground
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.