U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 08:25 AM

17 posts, read 63,749 times

Advertisements

Just wondering if there are any large and/or mid-sized cities/regions that have surprisingly non-horrible winters. Of course, everyone defines "horrible" differently -- right now I live in Chicago, and I would definitely describe their winters as horrible, as in "really, REALLY cold and tons of snow."

I've heard Denver doesn't actually get *that* cold, which shocked me (one generally thinks of anywhere in Colorado as having really rough winters, etc.). Are there any other places where winter is surprisingly not that bad?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2009, 08:32 AM

6,046 posts, read 10,047,165 times
Boise, Idaho

Of course, Boise and Denver both get definite winters. They're just not as extreme as you would expect

Old 02-08-2009, 09:28 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,231,932 times
Lewiston Idaho, it hardly ever snows, and if it does, it melts the same afternoon. The plains of Western Kansas get a couple of really bad blizzards every winter, and an occasional Alterta Clipper, but in general, the winter weather is mild and sunny for days or weeks at a time.

Old 02-08-2009, 10:30 AM

5,642 posts, read 7,967,323 times
NYC. When I was a child back in the 50s, it used to snow a lot. I can remember big mounds of snow piled up along the avenues and we would get a sled and slide down them. Today it is 60 degrees there, in FEBRUARY. Yes, there are very cold days, but rarely do you see the kind of snow there was when I was growing up.

Old 02-08-2009, 10:38 AM

3,742 posts, read 6,901,869 times
I'm not sure I'd agree with NYC getting mild winters. Their winters are still definitely real and it gets cold and snows quite a bit there still. Even if it's not like it was before, NYC's winters are still not exactly what I would call mild. In St. Louis, it used to snow a lot more than now and it usually was much colder for much longer. It's not as consistent now, but there are still plenty of days where it gets very cold and it still gets a respectable amount of snow. It's been unusually warm this week too..and even in Chicago right now it's warm. Global warming is changing things. Personally, Philadelphia's winters to me are the ones that are surprisingly mild. It gets little to no snow and it doesn't get that cold there either.

Old 02-08-2009, 10:57 AM

My weather is very similar to NYC. Yes, it is warm today. But this type of weather is not the norm in the winter and January was very cold.

Old 02-08-2009, 01:05 PM

58 posts, read 146,730 times
Phoenix, Arizona has the best winters in the U.S. bar-none. The other cities mentioned in this thread don't even come close.

Old 02-08-2009, 01:07 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,231,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perkinst View Post
Phoenix, Arizona has the best winters in the U.S. bar-none. The other cities mentioned in this thread don't even come close.
So, to whom is the winter weather in Phoenix "surprisingl;y" mild?

Old 02-08-2009, 01:14 PM

1,576 posts, read 5,135,929 times
Nyc/nj/ct

both these states and city have winters, yes. But the winters are up and down.. they're cold and then they have days that are pleasent (40s 50s) like today for example, Im in north jersey about 10 miles west of NYC and it was 55 today. That's not the normal temp for February let me tell ya. And yes it snows, but nothing drastic like parts of the mid-west and northern NY state.

Old 02-08-2009, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perkinst View Post
The OP was looking for mild places that you wouldn't expect to be mild. People expect Phoenix to be mild. I agree the others places don't come close, but they're more of what the OP wanted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.