U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 07:44 PM

8,900 posts, read 13,232,834 times

Advertisements

If you're ready to try and make it in NY, go for it. If you can make it here, you can make it anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2009, 09:42 AM

1,125 posts, read 4,102,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Quebec City or Montreal are excellent if you're 18 because you can drink legally and both cities have great nightlife.

Boston has surprisingly little for an 18 year old to do at night, so I don't know if I'd stand by that.

Providence RI has an EXCELLENT scene for the 18+ crowd. Almost all of the "gentelmen's" clubs are 18 and up and many nightclubs are 18 plus. There are also a good number of places that will serve anyone in the building which includes 18 year olds. Most small and mid-sized music venues are 18+ as well. You can live well as an 18 year old in Providence.

There are also bunches of colleges in the area, so if you like it, you can consider staying for school. at least look into it.

second that. bostons very tough if your not 21. things to do are very limited.

providence is alot more relaxed concerning age limits interms of bars, clubs, drinking, nightlife ect.

Old 02-09-2009, 10:01 AM

1,779 posts, read 3,484,474 times
Florida's not bad if you pick the right spot... Miami or Orlando. Tons of stuff to do here, and not all of it revolves around alcohol. Theme parks (not Disney), beaches, events, outdoors stuff, indoor centers, fairs, football, festivals... we got it all except skiing in Florida

If alcohol's your thing though, there are plenty of loopholes in Florida law to exploit to get around the drinking age...... not gonna give them away, but let's just say that an 18 year old won't have many problems drinking in Florida, even in public.... and if you really want to go all out try a "booze cruise" to the Bahamas leaving out of Miami or Port Everglades... they're pretty cheap...

Old 02-09-2009, 10:08 AM

3,940 posts, read 13,335,468 times
I'm not gonna tell you to go straight to school like the other people here. I took 2 years off after graduation and I'm glad I did. I wasn't ready for college and I had no idea what I wanted to do. It would have been a waste of money and I probably would have just dropped out and had debt.

I guess it depends on your type of scene. If you're 18 and you want to have a good time (I'm assuming you'd like to drink) you need to leave the United States. Nightlife for 18 year olds in the US is very limited at most... in fact, you'd have more fun if you went to college than taking a year off.

Paris is probably your best bet. There's any kind of scene there and you'd never run out of stuff to do. You're only a few hours from any other European city by train too. You'll have a blast.

Old 02-11-2009, 11:41 AM

129 posts, read 441,741 times
Are you going to be entering as a junior because you got college credits in high school? Anyways, I think that's a good idea, because I was always a year younger than all the other people in my grade growing up, which was okay, but sometimes it's just not the same as being with people your age.

I think it would really depend on what type of nightlife you are looking for. Because there are many cities that have great nightlifes. But it doesn't mean that they all match your style and preferences. So, what kind of people do you usually hang out with? I mean, really..any city should have a decent nightlife. Anyone who complains that their city doesn't have a nightlife, is really saying that the nightlife in that place does not match their needs.

Old 02-11-2009, 12:42 PM

1,125 posts, read 4,102,220 times
overall Toronto, Montreal or London are your best bets.

Old 02-11-2009, 12:49 PM

2,312 posts, read 6,677,252 times
Did you ever think about joining Americorps and helping those less fortunate than yourself? My nephew did it for a "gap year" and it was a very worthwhile project.

Old 02-11-2009, 02:18 PM

1,191 posts, read 3,235,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonrisamoon View Post
I'm 18 and I want to take a gap year before going to university. I'm going to be a junior transfer student if I enroll for the Fall of 2009. I'm reconsidering my decision to enroll as a junior at 18 and instead enroll when I'm 20. Several of my friends, who were college juniors at 18 as well, have told me that if they could do it all over again, they would take 2 years and work to save for college and travel the world. They also said that since most of their courses were upper-division and their dorm mates were traditional junior transfers (aged 20-21), it was hard to maintain a lot of their friendships because the 21 year olds would go out often, leaving the 18 year olds back in the dorms. Also, since the 18 year old junior tranfers had friendships established with traditional juniors, doing things with other 18-20 year olds (freshmen and sophomores) was difficult to do.

I thought to myself, that makes sense, but then I asked them what cities they would have lived in before transferring?

The majority of them said cities in Europe. That led to me to wonder, are there any cities in the United States that have amazing nightlife for 18 year olds?

Is New York a good option? How about San Francisco? My friends who attended Berkeley say it was tough because the majority of San Francisco's nightlife was 21 and up. What about Portland, Seattle, and Chicago?

Also, cities around the world would be greatly appreciated. How are Montreal and certain cities in Europe?

I'm not worried about money. Rent is covered for me. I just want to find a city where 18 year olds have a shot at nightlife as well.

I'm really looking for cities with good public transportation. I've lived in Southern California all my life and I've come to despise driving. I'm sick of people's reckless driving. Los Angeles is not a good option for me.

Thank you for reading. And any replies are greatly appreciated.
I highly reccomend the following:

Richmond, Virginia (of course!)
Washington, DC
Atlanta
Nashville
Virgina Beach, Virginia

All these cities offer good restaurants, night life, wonderful people, beautiful women, charm, and grace that makes it worth livin !

Old 02-12-2009, 09:06 AM

138 posts, read 325,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevedark View Post
Did you ever think about joining Americorps and helping those less fortunate than yourself? My nephew did it for a "gap year" and it was a very worthwhile project.
Yes, I second this. Spend your year off doing something worthwhile and making a difference instead of getting wasted out of your mind every night (which you will pay for later in life). You really won't regret it.

Old 05-07-2012, 08:21 PM

1 posts, read 7,916 times
Montreal for so many reasons. There are five mid-sized to large universities in the city, right downtown, which means lots of young people. The public transport is better than probably every city in the U.S. outside of New York, and it is dirt cheap. Everything in Quebec is heavily subsidized by the government, for example all of the city's museums are free to the public. Sales taxes are high, but income tax is quite low for minimum wage jobs. Great apartments are available right downtown for as little as 500$ (Canadian) per month. This is because the island of Montreal is traditionally very anglophone, with most of the affluent francophones living in suburbs like Laval. When most of the city's rich anglophones moved out of Quebec for political reasons in the 70's and the 80's, most of their large downtown residences were converted into low income housing. Finally, the legal drinking age in Quebec is 18, so the nightlife is great. Strip clubs serve alcohol, and allow fully nude dancers and full contact lap dances. The entire city has a very European flavour, with world class boutiques, restaurants, jazz clubs, dance clubs, and bars. The city is fully bilingual. Much of downtown Montreal comes from an English background, but there is still more than enough French to turn your gap year into a cultural experience. There are huge, well maintained parks with outdoor skating rinks and cross country ski trails in the winter. There are great ski resorts within one or two hours of the city. I moved to Montreal for university (McGill) and it was the best decision I ever made.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or