Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 09:38 AM

3,147 posts, read 3,502,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
I was stuck in denver before new years and it was cold and snowing.
Sooo I don't know what you guys mean by not cold.

It was the same as chicago
I hope this post is sarcastic... it was cold and snowing in late December?!

I never said it doesn't get cold at times, but the weather here is definitely not crappy. And it has been pretty darn warm this winter, your example is from deep winter, which wasn't very cold in Denver this year, maybe for a couple days, but that is just a few out of many.

The same as Chicago? Ha Ha not by a long shot. For example when it snows in Denver it usually melts within days, it is the sunniest of the major cities in this country. And how about average temps? Here are the average highs November - March:

November: Chi: 48 Den: 51.5
December: Chi:35.6 Den: 44.1
January: Chi: 30.7 Den: 43.2
Febuary: Chi: 36.1 Den: 47.2
March: Chi: 47.4 Den: 53.7

Again, I hope you were being sarcastic or else you don't know much about Denver's weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2011, 09:39 AM

2,106 posts, read 5,787,856 times
You seemed to be insinuating that those who complain the most don't live- or have ever lived- in one of the cold states. Forgive me if I was mistaken. All I'm saying is that I gave it a try for a few years and really couldn't deal with it. The interesting thing is that my home state didn't have the best weather either. It gets cold and it gets hot. But after having lived in MA the weather was far more extreme and made my home state seem almost like tropical paradise in comparison.

Old 03-04-2011, 10:27 AM

639 posts, read 1,289,760 times
These cities are like any other US cities.

If you have money, you are happy and can enjoy them.

If you are poor, you can't enjoy them and you feel trapped.

Old 03-04-2011, 10:28 AM

639 posts, read 1,289,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post

I never said it doesn't get cold at times, but the weather here is definitely not crappy. And it has been pretty darn warm this winter, your example is from deep winter, which wasn't very cold in Denver this year, maybe for a couple days, but that is just a few out of many.

The same as Chicago? Ha Ha not by a long shot. For example when it snows in Denver it usually melts within days, it is the sunniest of the major cities in this country. And how about average temps? Here are the average highs November - March:

Again, I hope you were being sarcastic or else you don't know much about Denver's weather.
Denver also doesn't have the bone chilling wind that Chi has and is a dry cold which makes it feel much warmer.

Old 03-04-2011, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Observation View Post
Denver also doesn't have the bone chilling wind that Chi has and is a dry cold which makes it feel much warmer.
Another good point, Denver has the warm Chinook winds.

Old 03-04-2011, 03:58 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,198,592 times
You people read too much into the "windy" city thing.
And that's not even what it means

Old 03-04-2011, 04:04 PM

3,569 posts, read 7,198,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post

Doesn't Denver hit negatives way more then Chicago?
And 100s way more?
And it snows earlier?

Your temps might average out to be warmer then Chis but your highs and lows are more extreme.

Comparing temps right now... everything seems to be about the same for the next week Chi and Den

Old 03-04-2011, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
Doesn't Denver hit negatives way more then Chicago?
And 100s way more?
And it snows earlier?

Your temps might average out to be warmer then Chis but your highs and lows are more extreme.

Comparing temps right now... everything seems to be about the same for the next week Chi and Den
First you say that Chicago and Denver's weather is the same, which is laughable enough, but now you are saying that Chicago has better weather?

C'mon man this is common knowledge, there is no debate here, Denver simply has more enjoyable weather. I like Chicago, I really do, but the weather does not compare.

The air in Denver is also drier making it feel cooler here in the summer than Chicago which is in a very humid region. The winter also feels warmer, and it usually is... we had one maybe two cold snaps this year putting us in the negatives, and they were very short.

Ha ha ha, I just looked on the National Weather Service website at the 7 day forecasts for both cities, about the same? You are crazy.

Saturday: Chi: Wintery mix with a high of 34. Den: mostly sunny with a high of 55

Sunday: Chi: Mostly sunny with a high of 32. Den: Mostly cloudy with a high of 51

Monday: Chi: Partly sunny with a high of 37. Den: Slight chance of rain with a high of 40.

Tuesday: Chi: Partly sunny, with a high of 44. Den: A chance of snow with a of 28.

Wednesday: Chi: Showers likely with a high of 48. Den: Mostly sunny with a high of 38.

Thursday: Chi: Partly sunny, with a high of 36. Den: Mostly sunny with a high of 49.

Friday: Chi: Mostly sunny, with a high near 38. Den: Mostly sunny with a high of 56.

Days above 49 degrees: Chi: 0 Den: 4
Days above 39 degrees: Chi: 2 Den: 1

Days below 39 degrees: Chi: 5 Den: 3

Very similar indeed . Denver is consistently warmer except for a 2 day stretch with a snow system, then it goes back to being considerably warmer.

From Wikipedia:

Chicago:
Quote:
Winters are cold, snowy, and windy, with some sunny days, and with a January average of 23.5 °F (−4.7 °C). Temperatures often (43 days) stay below freezing for an entire day, and subzero lows occur on eight nights per year.[42]
Denver:
Quote:
Winters in Denver can vary from mild to cold, and although large amounts of snow can fall on the mountains just west of the city, the effects of orographic lift dry out the air passing over the Front Range, shielding the city from precipitation for much of the season. Warm chinook winds often occur as air passing over the mountains heats as it descends, quickly melting snow accumulations and making Denver's winters milder than areas without this effect.
Comparing Chicago and Denver's weather is like comparing apples to zebras.

Old 03-04-2011, 07:28 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,520,768 times
Geez...the whole Denver vs. Chicago weather thing is being taken a bit too far. I mentioned other cities as well that you can easily compare Chicago to in terms of weather, like Boston, Minneapolis, New York, Detroit, etc., trying to make the point that "Forbes citing Chicago's horrible weather" as a completely bogus bogus to call it a "Miserable city".

Old 03-04-2011, 07:34 PM

1,568 posts, read 3,227,171 times
Love Chicago, Boston, and St Louis...etc. These polls are stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.