U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 09:52 AM

5,530 posts, read 10,135,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
If you're using Boston, there's a reason for that. It's called the Atlantic Ocean, which stays colder a bit longer at that latitude and directly influences climate. Inland, winters are also from November to March. April snow is not that common in most places. And sorry, but summers in the North will just never be as consistently unpleasant as in the South. I don't know who you are trying to kid here.
He/she may be cold-blooded? I wonder if some of these people know that we put on warm clothes and jackets during the winter???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2011, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliverbox View Post
Who am I trying to kid? Summers in the South can have a huge amount of variety depending on where you live. For example if you lived in Asheville, NC, which is sort of up in the mountains you would have cooler summers. If you live way deep down in Florida summers can be hot. If you lived in Kentuckey the summers would vary there as well.

The absolute hottest I have ever been in my life was during a 2 week long period in Boston. I was just flying back from TN where it had been around 80 degrees the day before. I landed in Boston at 9:30PM. The temperature at that time was 97 degrees. It stayed that way for almost 2 weeks. What's more- most people didn't have AC. That was miserable.

Oh- and I have a friend who lives in Chicago. Yep- he too thinks its miserable.
Want to take a poll and see how many people think Tennessee is miserable? We get it, it's not your preference, but you're not going to convince people who live in and love Chicago that it's a "miserable" place JUST because it can get cold. People here have thick skin I guess.

Old 03-01-2011, 11:31 AM

13,097 posts, read 13,480,618 times
Quote:
Who am I trying to kid? Summers in the South can have a huge amount of variety depending on where you live. For example if you lived in Asheville, NC, which is sort of up in the mountains you would have cooler summers. If you live way deep down in Florida summers can be hot. If you lived in Kentuckey the summers would vary there as well.

The absolute hottest I have ever been in my life was during a 2 week long period in Boston. I was just flying back from TN where it had been around 80 degrees the day before. I landed in Boston at 9:30PM. The temperature at that time was 97 degrees. It stayed that way for almost 2 weeks. What's more- most people didn't have AC. That was miserable.

Oh- and I have a friend who lives in Chicago. Yep- he too thinks its miserable.
Okay, here are the stats for Chicago, Boston, Memphis, and Atlanta since 2006. It just seems very silly to be making the argument that summers in the North are comparable if not the same or worse as in the South.

# of 90+ Days by City 2006-2010

Boston: 65
Chicago: 65
Memphis: 415
Atlanta: 264

# of 100+ Days by City 2006-2010

Boston: 1
Chicago: 0
Memphis: 33
Atlanta: 9

So yeah, again, who are you trying to kid.

Old 03-01-2011, 11:52 AM

2,109 posts, read 5,135,459 times
cherry-picking select cities in the South doesn't really prove any theories. Yes- Memphis is hot, but its a lot hotter than other Southern cities. Either way- this whole argument is sort of silly anyway. I'm not even sure why I'm still arguing here because frankly I have like absolutely zero interest in living in Chicago. I don't really care.

Anyway- this is purely a topic of subjectivity. People have their preferences. I'd wager that given the choice most people would choose a warmer- or even hot climate- over a colder one. That's just human nature. But in any regards, we can agree to disagree which is fine.

Have fun in Chicago.

Old 03-01-2011, 11:54 AM

I think people would choose to live where they have paying jobs, family, and culture (big cities) over weather, for the most part. There is a reason I don't live in Haiti...

Old 03-01-2011, 12:04 PM

I think people make an awfully big deal about "Culture". Truth be known, culture is such a blanket statement. The truth of the matter is that no matter where you live, there are unique cultures, traditions, music types, food, people, and so on. I don't think big cities necessarily means better access to culture. Its entirely dependent on the individual and their expectations.

Old 03-01-2011, 12:58 PM

3,696 posts, read 4,530,307 times
Quote:
cherry-picking select cities in the South doesn't really prove any theories. Yes- Memphis is hot, but its a lot hotter than other Southern cities. Either way- this whole argument is sort of silly anyway. I'm not even sure why I'm still arguing here because frankly I have like absolutely zero interest in living in Chicago. I don't really care.

Anyway- this is purely a topic of subjectivity. People have their preferences. I'd wager that given the choice most people would choose a warmer- or even hot climate- over a colder one. That's just human nature. But in any regards, we can agree to disagree which is fine.

Have fun in Chicago.
It's funny you say that weather is subjective, because I agree with you and it proves that Forbes calling Chicago miserable because of weather is total BS. You just proved why this list is totally invalid. I personally can't wait to move to "miserable Chicago" this summer.

Old 03-01-2011, 01:08 PM

Quote:
It's funny you say that weather is subjective, because I agree with you and it proves that Forbes calling Chicago miserable because of weather is total BS. You just proved why this list is totally invalid. I personally can't wait to move to "miserable Chicago" this summer.
Yeah... but the thing is that I'd say that if you were to ask the average person on the street what they thought of Chicago, perhaps one of the first thing they'd mention would be the weather. It has that notoriety. Whether that's deserved or not is debatable. Hearing what my friend says about his experience living there in the winter sort of reinforces the weather "stereotype" you commonly hear about Chicago.

On the other hand one city I'm considering a move to is Austin, mostly for the lower cost of living aspects. But the thing is that summers are brutal there- as in 90+ degrees for months on end. Somehow you don't really see all that many people- including the scads of Midwesterners moving there- say all that much about the heat.

Old 03-01-2011, 01:10 PM

Quote:

Have fun in Chicago.
You're the one who brought up Chicago and Boston, and you mentioned a few times being from Tennessee, so I picked Memphis. As for Atlanta, I wanted to pick a large Southern city more comparable to Chicago in size. It's not exactly cherry-picking. This was just 5 years of data, do you really think if I picked different years or other cities that it would really change that much?

And do you think the South would be all that popular if there was no a/c? Take a look at where population was before it and get back to me on just where most people would choose to live. And then get back to me on which is more important, climate or economy.

Old 03-01-2011, 01:13 PM

Quote:
I think people make an awfully big deal about "Culture". Truth be known, culture is such a blanket statement. The truth of the matter is that no matter where you live, there are unique cultures, traditions, music types, food, people, and so on. I don't think big cities necessarily means better access to culture. Its entirely dependent on the individual and their expectations.
I would think you would be exposed to far more types of culture in a large city filled with many different types of people than in some small town in the middle of nowhere where everyone basically thinks the same way and shares the same traditions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or