U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-01-2011, 01:15 PM
 
Location: Mexico City, formerly Columbus, Ohio
13,097 posts, read 13,487,812 times
Reputation: 5777

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
It's funny you say that weather is subjective, because I agree with you and it proves that Forbes calling Chicago miserable because of weather is total BS. You just proved why this list is totally invalid. I personally can't wait to move to "miserable Chicago" this summer.
Chicago is a great city. I love my hometown of Columbus, but if I was to ever move, Chicago would be at or near the top of my list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-01-2011, 01:16 PM
 
Location: Chicago (from pittsburgh)
3,696 posts, read 4,531,954 times
Reputation: 2904
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliverbox View Post
Yeah... but the thing is that I'd say that if you were to ask the average person on the street what they thought of Chicago, perhaps one of the first thing they'd mention would be the weather. It has that notoriety. Whether that's deserved or not is debatable. Hearing what my friend says about his experience living there in the winter sort of reinforces the weather "stereotype" you commonly hear about Chicago.

On the other hand one city I'm considering a move to is Austin, mostly for the lower cost of living aspects. But the thing is that summers are brutal there- as in 90+ degrees for months on end. Somehow you don't really see all that many people- including the scads of Midwesterners moving there- say all that much about the heat.
Chicago gets 38 inches of snow on average. Detroit gets 41. Boston gets 42. Average temperature in January for Chicago is 22. Boston is 28. Columbus is 28. Denver is 29. Detroit is 24. Minneapolis 13. Pittsburgh is 27.

Tell me how Chicago is so "notorious" compared to these other cities when Chicago's statistics aren't even remotely outstanding from any of the others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2011, 01:27 PM
 
2,109 posts, read 5,136,222 times
Reputation: 1510
Quote:
Chicago gets 38 inches of snow on average. Detroit gets 41. Boston gets 42. Average temperature in January for Chicago is 22. Boston is 28. Columbus is 28. Denver is 29. Detroit is 24. Minneapolis 13. Pittsburgh is 27.

Tell me how Chicago is so "notorious" compared to these other cities when Chicago's statistics aren't even remotely outstanding from any of the others.
Doesn't really matter to me because all of the cities you mentioned have crappy weather. I've never been to Chicago but there are a LOT of people from there living out here in Cali and if they ever talk about their home town they'll first and foremost say that its a fun city quickly followed by how awful the winters are. That's the impression I get from hearing what people say to me about it. Whether I am misinformed or not is another matter, but if the general consensus out there from the street is that Chicago has awful weather then perhaps there's some truth to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2011, 01:37 PM
 
Location: Mexico City, formerly Columbus, Ohio
13,097 posts, read 13,487,812 times
Reputation: 5777
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliverbox View Post
Yeah... but the thing is that I'd say that if you were to ask the average person on the street what they thought of Chicago, perhaps one of the first thing they'd mention would be the weather. It has that notoriety. Whether that's deserved or not is debatable. Hearing what my friend says about his experience living there in the winter sort of reinforces the weather "stereotype" you commonly hear about Chicago.

On the other hand one city I'm considering a move to is Austin, mostly for the lower cost of living aspects. But the thing is that summers are brutal there- as in 90+ degrees for months on end. Somehow you don't really see all that many people- including the scads of Midwesterners moving there- say all that much about the heat.
Austin actually has a higher COL than the US average. In fact, outside of the Boston-NYC corridor, there is almost no other place in the entire North where it costs more to live.

Austin is only 4% less expensive than Chicago, which is the most expensive city to live in the entire Midwest, and one of the most expensive in the country.

Buffalo is 35% cheaper.
Philadelphia is 2% cheaper.
Pittsburgh is 22% cheaper.
Cleveland is 32% cheaper.
Columbus is 24% cheaper.
Cincinnati is 25% cheaper.
Detroit is 38% cheaper.
Minneapolis is 2% cheaper.
Indianapolis is 32% cheaper.
St. Louis is 31% cheaper.

We can try other Northern vs Southern cities if you'd like?

I suspect the COL argument will get less and less attention as all the extra people put increasing demand on existing infrastructure, housing, etc. You can't add hundreds of thousands of people to a city and expect that prices won't go up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2011, 01:40 PM
 
Location: Mexico City, formerly Columbus, Ohio
13,097 posts, read 13,487,812 times
Reputation: 5777
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliverbox View Post
Doesn't really matter to me because all of the cities you mentioned have crappy weather. I've never been to Chicago but there are a LOT of people from there living out here in Cali and if they ever talk about their home town they'll first and foremost say that its a fun city quickly followed by how awful the winters are. That's the impression I get from hearing what people say to me about it. Whether I am misinformed or not is another matter, but if the general consensus out there from the street is that Chicago has awful weather then perhaps there's some truth to it.
Wait, so you're seriously bashing a city (saying you would never live there, the weather sucks, etc) that you've never even bothered to visit? Yeah, your opinion matters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2011, 01:47 PM
 
Location: Chicago (from pittsburgh)
3,696 posts, read 4,531,954 times
Reputation: 2904
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliverbox View Post
Doesn't really matter to me because all of the cities you mentioned have crappy weather. I've never been to Chicago but there are a LOT of people from there living out here in Cali and if they ever talk about their home town they'll first and foremost say that its a fun city quickly followed by how awful the winters are. That's the impression I get from hearing what people say to me about it. Whether I am misinformed or not is another matter, but if the general consensus out there from the street is that Chicago has awful weather then perhaps there's some truth to it.
Again, you're missing the point. You said weather is subjective. You are correct. Don't you think that the people who moved from Chicago to California did so partly because they prefer warm weather? Their opinions about Chicago's weather would be pretty one-sided, no? I personally would be absolutely miserable living in a place like Arizona or Memphis or anywhere in the south where I have to suffer through the heat and humidity from April through November. Some people may like that, but I would hate it. I want four distinct seasons. The cities I mentioned don't all have "crappy weather" to ALL people, otherwise, cities like Boston and Chicago wouldn't be as celebrated as they are.

**The point is, you can't call a city "miserable" on a list because it has bad weather to SOME people. Weather is subjective. Just like you said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2011, 01:51 PM
 
2,109 posts, read 5,136,222 times
Reputation: 1510
Quote:
Austin actually has a higher COL than the US average. In fact, outside of the Boston-NYC corridor, there is almost no other place in the entire North where it costs more to live.

Austin is only 4% less expensive than Chicago, which is the most expensive city to live in the entire Midwest, and one of the most expensive in the country.
Only problem is.... me and a lot of people really don't want to live in Chicago or the Midwest for that matter. Part of the reason Austin is seen as affordable is because its compared to more desirable cities like San Francisco, Seattle, etc. Compared to SF, Austin's a steal.

Quote:
Buffalo is 35% cheaper.
Philadelphia is 2% cheaper.
Pittsburgh is 22% cheaper.
Cleveland is 32% cheaper.
Columbus is 24% cheaper.
Cincinnati is 25% cheaper.
Detroit is 38% cheaper.
Minneapolis is 2% cheaper.
Indianapolis is 32% cheaper.
St. Louis is 31% cheaper.
A lot of those cities mentioned above aren't really valid comparisons: Most are cheap for very good reasons.

Quote:
I suspect the COL argument will get less and less attention as all the extra people put increasing demand on existing infrastructure, housing, etc. You can't add hundreds of thousands of people to a city and expect that prices won't go up.
If that be the case then you're going to have to wait for decades if not 100+ years. It took well over 250 years for the Northeast to reach its peak population growth. As a Southerner I can tell you that the vast majority of the Southeast is still very rural. The cities in comparison are also tiny. There are also very few land use regulations. That's why its sprawly in many instances. But hey- its cheap. Yes- the prices have gone up to an extent. But you still got a lot of bang for your buck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2011, 01:54 PM
 
Location: South South Jersey
1,652 posts, read 3,409,418 times
Reputation: 734
I'm always blissfully happy and have an *enormous* amount of fun when I'm in Chi-town. I've never been LESS happy than I've been since I moved to the Washington, DC area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2011, 01:57 PM
 
Location: Chicago (from pittsburgh)
3,696 posts, read 4,531,954 times
Reputation: 2904
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Bradley View Post
I'm always blissfully happy and have an *enormous* amount of fun when I'm in Chi-town. I've never been LESS happy than I've been since I moved to the Washington, DC area.
That's because its an enormously fun town and Forbes makes terrible lists
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2011, 02:05 PM
 
Location: Cleveland bound with MPLS in the rear-view
5,530 posts, read 10,139,440 times
Reputation: 2384
Let Mr. Sunshine judge all he wants about Chicago or the Midwest. Anything and everything can live in coastal California because the weather never changes and it's always moderate. It takes ZERO character to put up with weather there (not that it keeps people from complaining anyways). Like I said, if weather somehow correlated with greatness, Haiti and the Dominican Republic would be Paris. But since it doesn't, it means just about NOTHING towards the success/failure of a city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top