U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 08:29 PM

20,005 posts, read 69,394,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
Have you survived at least one Midwestern winter???
Have you? Sounds like you havent "survived" one yet!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2009, 04:22 AM

1,624 posts, read 2,906,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Have you? Sounds like you havent "survived" one yet!
Take it easy...

Old 02-11-2009, 06:22 AM

11,172 posts, read 22,366,973 times
Quote:
Aren't you just saying this because Chicago is number 3 or on the list and you happen to live in Chicago?

Shrinking population, legendary corruption, high taxes, high unemployement, terrible sports teams, freezing winters, high crime (higher rates than LA and NY) long commute times are hardly personal opinions and can easily win Chicago the distinction of being a "miserable" city as opposed to a "winner" city.
No...

I'm saying it because the same day Chicago came out as the #3 Most Miserable City in the country, MSN ranked Chicago as the #3 Coolest City in the country (and no, not temperature).

Last year Forbes, again, ranked Chicago as the #1 most Stressful City, although in the same year a majority of other random media outlets all ranked Chicago high up in their little "lists".

I happen be to fine with Chicago weather, the crime is very high, but at the end of the day is much more confined to select neighborhoods than something that plagues the entire city, and my commute is almost fun. 20 minutes on the train listening to music and people watching.

These lists are just a very set criteria where cities fall out one way or the other. You can't really say Chicago is the #3 most miserable city, because for many people it's the #1 most, and for many people it would be the 400th most.

I traveled extensively to NYC, San Fran, Chicago and Dallas to figure out where I wanted to settle down. Those were my favorites by far, and Chicago was the last I visited. It took about 10 minutes for me to decide this was where I was destined to live. Is it right for you? Obviously not, you bash Chicago every chance you get.

There's no right or wrong when people choose where they want to live, except in their minds.

Old 02-11-2009, 07:58 AM

10,238 posts, read 18,744,494 times
Quote:
Have you survived at least one Midwestern winter???

I survived 57 Chicago winters and working outside too. That's one reason I'm so tough. And I'm leaving this place and going back there, I like the cold.

But if you don't like Chicago that's aces with me, stay away. Then there'll be less of a line when I go to Manny's for lunch.

Old 02-11-2009, 09:16 AM

414 posts, read 639,255 times
Chicago is declining? News to me!

Old 02-11-2009, 09:48 AM

1,624 posts, read 2,906,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
No...

I'm saying it because the same day Chicago came out as the #3 Most Miserable City in the country, MSN ranked Chicago as the #3 Coolest City in the country (and no, not temperature).
I think MSN ranked Chicago as the number 3 coolest city to visit. Not coolest in general

Anyways. Yes it is very subjective/ However Forbes did not base their recent rankings on subjective opinions but on factors such as average temperatures, corruption, sport team perfromance traffic congestion and even more importantly growth in population and unemployment. I none of those categories Chicago scored better then terrible.
Yes you may like freezing and long winters, getting stuck in traffic and your sports team loosing most of the time. Can you like corruption though? Do you enjoy your money being stolen by a parade of corrupted politicians?

Old 02-11-2009, 09:58 AM

2,601 posts, read 4,070,388 times
Quote:
I think MSN ranked Chicago as the number 3 coolest city to visit. Not coolest in general

Anyways. Yes it is very subjective/ However Forbes did not base their recent rankings on subjective opinions but on factors such as average temperatures, corruption, sport team perfromance traffic congestion and even more importantly growth in population and unemployment. I none of those categories Chicago scored better then terrible.
Yes you may like freezing and long winters, getting stuck in traffic and your sports team loosing most of the time. Can you like corruption though? Do you enjoy your money being stolen by a parade of corrupted politicians?
Here's something you might like - Chicago as one of the highest ranked U.S. cities in a ranking of best cities in the world.

City Mayors: Best cities in the world (Mercer)

Old 02-11-2009, 10:04 AM

Quote:
...your sports team loosing most of the time. Can you like corruption though? Do you enjoy your money being stolen by a parade of corrupted politicians?
Well besides the fact that the Sox, Cubs and Bears have been doing well the past few years does any serious adult really base where he lives on how sports teams are doing? Making a living seems more important and Chicago is a damned good place to make a living.

My family and I got a taste with the political system, I won't rap it. And politicians and their pals have their hand in the till in lots of places, Chicago people are simply more cynical and realistic about it.

When Wasps in the burbs take care of their pals it's "good government", when Catholic ethnics, Blacks and Jews in the city do it it's "corruption".

Old 02-11-2009, 10:05 AM

2,151 posts, read 2,661,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
I survived 57 Chicago winters and working outside too. That's one reason I'm so tough. And I'm leaving this place and going back there, I like the cold.

But if you don't like Chicago that's aces with me, stay away. Then there'll be less of a line when I go to Manny's for lunch.

I love these pictures. Hard core.

Granted, my walk to the el is nothing like the outdoor work you're doing, but even when it was -10 (and thinking I'm an idiot for being outside), never entered my mind to leave. It's not fun, but it makes me appreciate the 60 weather we had yesterday that much more. I could move to LA or Miami... but then I'd be in LA or Miami.

Old 02-11-2009, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
Granted, my walk to the el is nothing like the outdoor work you're doing, but even when it was -10 (and thinking I'm an idiot for being outside), never entered my mind to leave. It's not fun, but it makes me appreciate the 60 weather we had yesterday that much more. I could move to LA or Miami... but then I'd be in LA or Miami.

Yeah, when my wife and I (she's originally from from Philly but lived in Uptown for 15 years) came up for Christmas and for apartment hunting we walked all over the place in the cold, it felt good, bracing. Makes ya feel alive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or