Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 10:26 AM

1,624 posts, read 3,290,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Well besides the fact that the Sox, Cubs and Bears have been doing well the past few years
Really? How many national titles in those past few years?

Quote:
My family and I got a taste with the political system, I won't rap it. And politicians and their pals have their hand in the till in lots of places, Chicago people are simply more cynical and realistic about it.
Cynical? Realistic? I think they are just spineless wimps. There is no consituence more complacent than of IL and Chicago.
Being taken for a ride by governor after governor and yet still do not nothing about it? What would instigate referendums and recalls in CA or NY in IL and Chicago is swept underneath the carpet because the people do not BELIEVE they deserve any better.

All it took is a single New Yorker, the federal prosecutor, to do what the local though was unfantomable: make politicians responsible for their crimes. 385 elected officials have been charged in the past 10 years. Last two governors of IL. Can it be done? Yes, but you need a will to do it and some balls. Chicagoans seem to lack those qualities.

PS Even in the mafia days it was a New Yorker, Al Capone who was running the city. There is no "Chicago tough" only Chicago wimps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2009, 10:59 AM

4,027 posts, read 7,288,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post

Cynical? Realistic? I think they are just spineless wimps. There is no consituence more complacent than of IL and Chicago.
Being taken for a ride by governor after governor and yet still do not nothing about it? What would instigate referendums and recalls in CA or NY in IL and Chicago is swept underneath the carpet because the people do not BELIEVE they deserve any better.

All it took is a single New Yorker, the federal prosecutor, to do what the local though was unfantomable: make politicians responsible for their crimes. 385 elected officials have been charged in the past 10 years. Last two governors of IL. Can it be done? Yes, but you need a will to do it and some balls. Chicagoans seem to lack those qualities.

PS Even in the mafia days it was a New Yorker, Al Capone who was running the city. There is no "Chicago tough" only Chicago wimps.
Hey, we get it, you have a problem with Chicago and Illinois being good places and people actually care about them. But why do you keep posting here. Even if you were right about your accusations (which you are not) we would still enjoy our city.

Just accept that we like Chicago and stop trying to say otherwise.

Old 02-11-2009, 11:28 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,748,788 times
Quote:

There is no "Chicago tough" only Chicago wimps.

By your reasoning only cities that have national sports champions are worth living in? So how many cities is that? In any event the Sox won the Series in 05 and both Chicago baseball teams make the playoffs regularly as do the Bears. But I don't take any credit for it.

So you're a tough guy eh? But afraid of the cold.

You speak like a child and are not fit for discussion with adults. You're dismissed.

Old 02-11-2009, 12:43 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,715,586 times
So only teams that can currnetly win a league championship are anything but losers? I guess that means the majority of sports teams in every league ever are losers.

Old 02-11-2009, 01:15 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times
Quote:

Anyways. Yes it is very subjective/ However Forbes did not base their recent rankings on subjective opinions but on factors such as average temperatures, corruption, sport team perfromance traffic congestion and even more importantly growth in population and unemployment. I none of those categories Chicago scored better then terrible.
Yes you may like freezing and long winters, getting stuck in traffic and your sports team loosing most of the time. Can you like corruption though? Do you enjoy your money being stolen by a parade of corrupted politicians?
I'm not picking a fight...I'm just saying different people like different things.

I like the snow, I like the extreme temps, I love summer, and I'm fine with the cold. I perfectly understand most people don't, but they don't HAVE to make you miserable just because everyone says they have to.

I don't even own a car, which is one of the reasons I actually love living in Chicago - so I just ignore "traffic" when it comes up. I'm in love with taking the train.

I don't mind the Cubs losing, because I still get to go hang out in Wrigley and catch games in the bleachers whether they win or lose. I love Chicago sports, regardless.

Of course I don't like corruption. There are many things I like and dislike. No place is perfect, but in the end people choose places to live because THEY want to for the most part, not because someone told them this city is horrible, this city is great, this city is cold, this city has traffic. All about individual situations.

I don't get the population growth as much. Chicago had well over 15,000 people per square mile, and is now down to 12,500. The city lost people due to white flight to the suburbs and because housing sizes are MUCH smaller than they were 60 years ago. Just because a place thats city limits were set and built out 60 years ago isn't CONSTANTLY growing doesn't mean it's failing. Chicago went through horrible times in the 70's and 80's and lost lots of people, but has done amazingly well the past 15 years. They've built tens of thousands of nice new residential units replacing either lots or delapitated buildings. The average people per unit is down though, so even if the population doesn't go up, I don't care, the city is more healthy in the 2000's than any time in the past 40 years.

As far as unemployment we're middle of the pack as far as large cities.

It's all relative...

Old 02-11-2009, 01:17 PM

3,047 posts, read 9,032,275 times
I agree that Chicago is miserable although I live and work with types that come from not so rich and not so peaceful communities. If I live in the North burbs or West burbs it would be a different story. but there are a lot of bitter people in chicago. especially, on the south side. the have nots of society tend to be like that.

plus, i don't care what anyone says chicago weather blows! january was horrible. 30 days of snow on the ground and temps that hovered below freezing nearly the entire month. thank God that snow finally melted away.

Chicago is corrupt to the bone and mis-manages its' funds (obviously). they are supposedly in financial trouble yet they have the highest taxes in the nation...makes a lot of sense if you have a lot of people in on the take. Blago would never have been exposed if it wasn't for the FEDZ.

Chicago tends to spend their money downtown in the loop to make it look all ritzy but they totally neglect much larger sections of the city that are more in need of funding than spending $250 million on a gigantic chrome bean.

Old 02-11-2009, 05:13 PM

Quote:
By your reasoning only cities that have national sports champions are worth living in? .
Did I say that? When? Where? I am only disputing what you typed. Remember this?

Originally Posted by Irishtom29
Well besides the fact that the Sox, Cubs and Bears have been doing well the past few years

Let's see. Sox won the national title twice in their entire 100 years long history. The Cubs only once, over a hundread years ago. Bears most recent national title happened in the 80's of last century. Are you really calling this doing "very well" ???

Quote:
So you're a tough guy eh? But afraid of the cold. .
Yes laddie, I am. But I am not stupid to drive a 12 in nail through my forehead nor to enjoy subzero weather.

Quote:
You speak like a child and are not fit for discussion with adults. You're dismissed .
I am really hurt, laddie.

Old 02-11-2009, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
So only teams that can currnetly win a league championship are anything but losers? I guess that means the majority of sports teams in every league ever are losers.
Sometimes I understand why Obama chose Columbia and Harvard over any local schools. Buddy, cubs have the worst record of any major league sports team in the nation. Sox won twice, and Bears haven't in over 20 years. Do you get it now? I think Forbes should have made a special Chicago edition of their report so you guys could get it...

Old 02-11-2009, 05:17 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,597,244 times
These people at Forbes are evidently in need of a life. It seems like all they do is come up with these lists of silly things. (Does anyone really believe you can quantify "miserable?") And they have trouble getting their facts straight, into the bargain. I don't know why people love to quote Forbes lists.

Old 02-11-2009, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I don't get the population growth as much. Chicago had well over 15,000 people per square mile, and is now down to 12,500. The city lost people due to white flight to the suburbs and because housing sizes are MUCH smaller than they were 60 years ago. Just because a place thats city limits were set and built out 60 years ago isn't CONSTANTLY growing doesn't mean it's failing.
This can be said about any city in the nation however only Chicago shows negative growth trend that continues in the past seven years. I do not think that means that the city is succesful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.