U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-28-2011, 09:56 AM
 
Location: Virginia Highland, GA
1,939 posts, read 3,987,713 times
Reputation: 1249

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
What an odd statement. It sounds like you've never seen Chicago suburbs or are comparing them to someplace other than Atlanta.

Hey my opinion man, I have lived in Chicago. I did not say it was not a great town, but the winters are a joke, and it can get hot as hell too, that is just not a southern thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-28-2011, 09:58 AM
 
Location: Cleveland bound with MPLS in the rear-view
5,530 posts, read 10,148,967 times
Reputation: 2384
It's fine to have an opinion, but the suburbs aren't track housing and the architecture is actually pretty admirable compared to most U.S. cities, so I thought that statement was a little off. I'd much rather have a suburb like Oak Park or even Berkely than a Chaska or Chanhassen here in MN. I don't like cul de sacs and pre-fab housing at all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2011, 09:59 AM
 
1,588 posts, read 3,565,542 times
Reputation: 889
Quote:
Originally Posted by brent6969 View Post
I can certainly see Chicago on the list. I personally thing Chicago is overrated. Yes it is beautiful in some on the lakefront areas, but go in to the flat as a pancake suburbs, and it is row after row of cheap looking tract houses. Yes, some suburbs are nice, but overall it is not geographically pretty. Chicago is like NYC's blue collar brother.
Haha. I find it funny as hell someone from Atlanta has the balls to call another city overrated. Sorry bro, but Atlanta is one of the most overrated cities on the planet. Anyway, this list is stupid and anyone who takes it serious is well, stupid too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2011, 10:14 AM
 
Location: Cleveland bound with MPLS in the rear-view
5,530 posts, read 10,148,967 times
Reputation: 2384
Like he said, it's his opinion and it's fine to not like Chicago or think it's overrated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2011, 10:54 AM
 
1,351 posts, read 2,452,189 times
Reputation: 1225
Forbes lists are stupid.

Been to Chicago, it's a great city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2011, 11:14 AM
 
Location: Chicago (from pittsburgh)
3,698 posts, read 4,536,862 times
Reputation: 2906
Quote:
Originally Posted by brent6969 View Post
Hey my opinion man, I have lived in Chicago. I did not say it was not a great town, but the winters are a joke, and it can get hot as hell too, that is just not a southern thing.
Winters are no worse than Minneapolis, Detroit, Buffalo, etc...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2011, 11:30 AM
 
Location: Cleveland bound with MPLS in the rear-view
5,530 posts, read 10,148,967 times
Reputation: 2384
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
Winters are no worse than Minneapolis, Detroit, Buffalo, etc...
Exactly! I honestly don't understand why so many people complain about "winter weather" when by some standards, what you deal with is relatively mild. I mean highs in the upper 30's or 40's is Early Spring here. Winter is when the high doesn't get above freezing, to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2011, 02:18 PM
 
Location: Virginia Highland, GA
1,939 posts, read 3,987,713 times
Reputation: 1249
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOut View Post
Haha. I find it funny as hell someone from Atlanta has the balls to call another city overrated. Sorry bro, but Atlanta is one of the most overrated cities on the planet. Anyway, this list is stupid and anyone who takes it serious is well, stupid too.
I have big ones, and Atlanta is not overrated, how long have you spent here, not much I assume.................We have many problems that come with living in a large metro, I was not making it a versus. thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2011, 02:42 PM
 
2,109 posts, read 5,139,102 times
Reputation: 1510
Quote:
Exactly! I honestly don't understand why so many people complain about "winter weather" when by some standards, what you deal with is relatively mild. I mean highs in the upper 30's or 40's is Early Spring here. Winter is when the high doesn't get above freezing, to me.
Might have to do with where you grew up. I grew up in TN and moved to Boston for school. TN definitely had some cold winters- as in maybe it got down to the 20's a few weeks out of the year. But in Boston it was COLD! As in it hurt to go outside. The difference was like night and day between TN and there. So yeah- if you're not accustomed to that kind of winter then I can see how one could form such a negative opinion. It obviously bothers a lot of people from there too because I swear like 90% of the people on all of the Southern city data forms are from places like Chicago, NYC, Boston, and so on and one of their primary reasons for moving is because they are escaping the hellish winters.

I personally have no desire to ever live anywhere that gets that cold ever again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2011, 03:12 PM
 
Location: NC/IL/MI
3,625 posts, read 7,177,370 times
Reputation: 1675
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliverbox View Post
Might have to do with where you grew up. I grew up in TN and moved to Boston for school. TN definitely had some cold winters- as in maybe it got down to the 20's a few weeks out of the year. But in Boston it was COLD! As in it hurt to go outside. The difference was like night and day between TN and there. So yeah- if you're not accustomed to that kind of winter then I can see how one could form such a negative opinion. It obviously bothers a lot of people from there too because I swear like 90% of the people on all of the Southern city data forms are from places like Chicago, NYC, Boston, and so on and one of their primary reasons for moving is because they are escaping the hellish winters.

I personally have no desire to ever live anywhere that gets that cold ever again.
No. most people are leaving to the south because the economy is supposedly "better" and because the environment(cost of living, work, stress) is less intense.

The weather aspect just reinforces their reasons to leave it's no tthe main reason for most people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top