U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 08:57 AM

692 posts, read 2,421,422 times

Advertisements

Surprising to me at the time was Arizona.
We drove up from San Diego in late Nov. to
visit the Grand Canyon and spent the night
in Flagstaff. When we woke up to go to breakfast
OMG it felt as cold as anything I felt in Chicago.
We had to run out and buy more clothes,
but it was well worth it. Seeing the canyon
on a clear cold day without the crowd was
better than I expected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2009, 01:46 PM

1,779 posts, read 3,488,072 times
North Florida comes to mind.... it's been down into the teens with single digit wind chills several times this year in Tallahassee, Ocala and Gainesville. There is a record low of -2 degrees in north Florida as well..... a lot colder than most people would think.

Orlando and south is where the true "Florida" weather kicks in...

Old 02-09-2009, 02:31 PM

4,552 posts, read 13,462,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danco View Post
Surprising to me at the time was Arizona.
We drove up from San Diego in late Nov. to
visit the Grand Canyon and spent the night
in Flagstaff. When we woke up to go to breakfast
OMG it felt as cold as anything I felt in Chicago.
We had to run out and buy more clothes,
but it was well worth it. Seeing the canyon
on a clear cold day without the crowd was
better than I expected.

I've been to Flagstaff in June when there were snow flurries.

Old 02-09-2009, 06:38 PM

3,115 posts, read 6,502,992 times
The Northwestern part of Texas is colder than most people realize. I can't tell you how many times I've seen visitors or foreign exchange students freezing in a blizzard because they were told they did not have to pack warm clothes because it's Texas. Last year during Easter, Lubbock received 3 inches, and some small towns got as much as a foot...in April! Our average low is about 20 this time of year.

Old 02-09-2009, 09:56 PM

4,552 posts, read 13,462,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
The Northwestern part of Texas is colder than most people realize. I can't tell you how many times I've seen visitors or foreign exchange students freezing in a blizzard because they were told they did not have to pack warm clothes because it's Texas. Last year during Easter, Lubbock received 3 inches, and some small towns got as much as a foot...in April! Our average low is about 20 this time of year.

but I know Lubbock gets many nice 60 degree days in the winter, but that wind sucks, I use to live 1 1/2 hours from there in Eastern NM and the temps arent that much different. While we do get snow in both places there are also many days in the winter when temps are 60's and 70's normally. The lows suck but the average highs are over 50 degrees in the middle of winter. I think most people know that the panhandle of TX is the cold part but then again Im sure there are those that think just cause its TX its HOT!

Old 02-09-2009, 10:45 PM

3,940 posts, read 13,344,452 times
Omaha has pretty chilly winters because they get a damp cold. You'd think that it wouldn't be as bad as The Dakotas but it can get worse.

Old 02-10-2009, 11:49 AM

1,191 posts, read 3,237,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxiweodwo View Post
On the other side of the spectrum from suprisingly mild winters.....are there any cities that their winters are colder than one would expect? I'd have to say Nashville has colder winters than most ppl up north would imagine. They got down to 4 degrees on January 16th, and their averages in January are 44/28.

I'd have to say that Crossville, TN has suprisingly cold winters as well, most of the Cumberland Plateau of TN can get downright frigid in winter. It got down to -3 on January 16th in Crossville and their averages are 43/25 for Jan. I'd have to add Boone, NC to that list as well.

This is a total misconception that the South never gets cold in the winter , or never gets ice or snow, etc. or somehow its sunny all the time. With the possible exception of Southern Florida- the South can get cold in Winter- even as cold as the North does. The difference is the cold lasts for a much shorter period of time. So that when Spring returns to the South by late February, The Northeast is still shovelling snow in April !

Old 02-10-2009, 12:54 PM

186 posts, read 573,049 times
Today, in Northwestern New Mexico (four corners area), up to 8 inches of snow has fallen. With the wind gusts, it has looked like a blizzard at times...

Also, Las Vegas, Nevada was colder than I was expecting. When I was there for this past New Year's, during the day - it was cooler than ABQ. Granted they said they were having a "cold front" but it was still much cooler than I was expecting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or