U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 05:18 PM

29,910 posts, read 8,625,350 times

Advertisements

On the other side of the spectrum from suprisingly mild winters.....are there any cities that their winters are colder than one would expect? I'd have to say Nashville has colder winters than most ppl up north would imagine. They got down to 4 degrees on January 16th, and their averages in January are 44/28.

I'd have to say that Crossville, TN has suprisingly cold winters as well, most of the Cumberland Plateau of TN can get downright frigid in winter. It got down to -3 on January 16th in Crossville and their averages are 43/25 for Jan. I'd have to add Boone, NC to that list as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2009, 05:23 PM

5,990 posts, read 11,579,296 times
The mountains of Tennessee and North Carolina can be quite cold - much colder than the rest of the south.

Old 02-08-2009, 05:24 PM

6,046 posts, read 10,060,420 times
much of Virginia
Albuquerque and Santa Fe

Old 02-08-2009, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
The mountains of Tennessee and North Carolina can be quite cold - much colder than the rest of the south.
Yes, they are actually probably colder than Philly or NYC most of the time in Winter AND Summer.

Old 02-08-2009, 06:19 PM

186 posts, read 573,169 times
I would say New Mexico in general. Many people think "New Mexico" and think HOT. However, in the winter, most of the state gets snow (not as much as other parts of the country, but we do get snow). Just today, we had snow flurries.

In New Mexico - It's not as hot as people think and it's colder than people think lol.

Old 02-08-2009, 06:21 PM

Hehe, I agree with NM. I know some places there that average 200+ inches of snow!!

We could add Arizona and Nevada on that list. I bet most people don't know that Arizona's record low is -40, lower than the record low of Massachusets, Indiana, Illinois, and Ohio. And Nevada has a record low of -50.

Old 02-08-2009, 08:27 PM

345 posts, read 789,523 times
the south east excluding FL is colder than most people think. I lived in Atlanta for 10 yrs and still can accept the fact that we have some rather chilly weather from Nov to March and stil don't put away the jackets just yet. April has some 30s, May has 40s. In general winters are mild compared the north, though. Not much snow (esp in ATlanta) but it will drop below 32 degrees and be chilly more than you'd like. on the other hand Texas is what you'd expect for a southern state. Winters there are not as cold (they do rollercoaster esp in Dallas) as the south east. Dallas easily hit 70 or above on many days on their coldest months. In most major south eastern cities hiting 70s on our coldest months is a real treat.

Old 02-08-2009, 09:01 PM

138 posts, read 325,771 times
Little Rock, Arkansas. We have some days every year where lows get into the single digits and usually don't see our last freeze until mid-April. Temps can dip into the 30s as late as May. Of course these winters are milder than one would experience in Chicago or Milwaukee, but its no tropical paradise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericmrtt View Post
the south east excluding FL is colder than most people think.
Even the north part of Florida can get quite cold. Tampa Bay northward can commonly see frosts. Its only south Florida that really has the tropical climate Florida is known for. One way to tell is by the species of palm trees that grow. North Florida is mostly cold hardy palms, while south Florida has completely different species that couldn't survive a freeze.

Old 02-08-2009, 10:34 PM

4,552 posts, read 13,466,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
much of Virginia
Albuquerque and Santa Fe

most of winter in ABQ you get by with just a hoodie or short sleeved shirt, highs are almost 50 degrees average all winter, now its the nights that do it,sometimes its a nice peaceful mild night others its just a peaceful cold night.Overnights can get very cold but who's out at midnight to feel it. It rarely ever gets into single didgets, its probably been a few years.

I dont know if people think of Albuquerque as a warm climate, I always thought of it as a cold one before I moved here.

Southern NM is alot warmer in the winter and palm trees thrive there and northern NM can get frigid. In todays paper it was talking about an outdoor hockey rink in Los Alamos, now you know it has to be cold there.

I have heard a co-worker from Florida say that this is not winter weather to her, she expects more snow and cold, and a co-worker from Minnessota said she still gets just as cold here so thats kinda weird.

Old 02-08-2009, 11:11 PM

5,772 posts, read 13,741,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericmrtt View Post
the south east excluding FL is colder than most people think. I lived in Atlanta for 10 yrs and still can accept the fact that we have some rather chilly weather from Nov to March and stil don't put away the jackets just yet. April has some 30s, May has 40s. In general winters are mild compared the north, though. Not much snow (esp in ATlanta) but it will drop below 32 degrees and be chilly more than you'd like. on the other hand Texas is what you'd expect for a southern state. Winters there are not as cold (they do rollercoaster esp in Dallas) as the south east. Dallas easily hit 70 or above on many days on their coldest months. In most major south eastern cities hiting 70s on our coldest months is a real treat.
In high school, once I was talking to a friend about an upcoming visit to see my grandparents who lived in North Carolina. This was in February. My friend asked me about the weather in NC that time of year. "How warm is it there now? I mean, is there swimming?" I think I said something to the effect that there was swimming . . . in indoor pools . . . outside if you're a member of the Polar Bear Club. I also once knew a guy who thought that average highs in Norfolk during the winter were in the 80's. When people have this misconception that every place in the southern half of the country has really warm winters, that's basically just ignorance. I don't know that these places have surprisingly cold winters. It's surprising only if you don't know anything about southern regions and just make assumptions.

It would seem to me that some of the mountainous areas in the Southeast and the Southwest might accurately be described as "surprisingly cold." Even those who know enough about U.S. geography to be aware that winter weather in most of the South is brisk might be surprised at how cold it gets in the high Appalachians of VA, NC, TN. Similarly, people who think Phoenix when they think Arizona, who are well informed enough to know that winter days in Phoenix are often cool, might not be aware that northern AZ can get some serious snow and cold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or