U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 04:06 PM

8,900 posts, read 13,252,967 times

Advertisements

Of course it leaves out the fact that the apartment is probably the size of a closet...lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2009, 05:34 PM

3,628 posts, read 9,217,406 times
Chicago:

I live by myself, no pets or rugrats or SO to deal with.

I have a studio, rent is around $650 with cooking gas, heat, electric, water included.

I have a cell phone, it's $75, but i don't have a land line.

I have cable/internet for $85 (for now, until i talk them down again this july)

Groceries run me around $150 a month (or less)if I don't eat out at all (YES, kids, i eat well, i just know where to shop cheap!)

Extra stuff (toiletries and such) is probably about $40 if that much (Family Dollar is literally in front of my apartment; I can see it from my window).

The CTA is my chauffeur and it costs me $86 a month.

I don't go out that often, and if i do, it's usually just to go out to eat with friends. if i do decide to budget in some fun money, it's like $200 or something, but times have been so tight i haven't gone out at all really these past few months.

Old 02-09-2009, 05:45 PM

8,900 posts, read 13,252,967 times
^^Wow, that's cheap. Chicago is definitely cheaper than NYC. I don't know why some people say it's the same.

Old 02-09-2009, 06:43 PM

87,017 posts, read 102,674,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
Thanks everyone for the input so far, and thanks especially to NewInWI for that useful tool.

Denver sounds relatively good, my only concern is being able to live without a car and having enough things to do for an 18-20something. Other than that I like everything I know about Denver.
You can def get around Denver w/o a car. We have light rail, some built and much under construction, also an extensive bus system in Denver and most of the burbs. Google "RTD" to learn more. I don't know why you're worrying about enough for an 18-20 yr old to do. There are plenty of clubs that have "teen nights" for the under 21 crowd. There is hiking, biking, kayaking, just about every outdoor activity except surfing available either in the city (yes, you can kayak in the city) or close by in the mountains, and there is some public transit to the mtns.

Old 02-09-2009, 07:07 PM

9,866 posts, read 21,158,402 times
I have a cousin that rents in Landsdowne PA just outside Philadelphia. It cost $800 a month for a below average 1 bedroom

Old 02-09-2009, 07:11 PM

1,573 posts, read 5,654,507 times
Compared to Michigan, they are ALL expensive. But seriously, in this economy you will be best served by going to the city where you can get a job. Hiring is down and unemployment is up in a lot of cities. Times like these, it is a luxury to simply pick a city where you want to live. All that being said, it is still easier to get by renting in those cities than buying. Places like SF and NYC are still crazy unaffordable to buy a home.

Old 02-09-2009, 07:11 PM

3,628 posts, read 9,217,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
^^Wow, that's cheap. Chicago is definitely cheaper than NYC. I don't know why some people say it's the same.
I dunno, it CAN get expensive easily. I don't live in the most glamorous neighborhood, but I love it. I also don't get things like "electronic gadgets" or "new clothes" very often.

I also am not burdened with any debt.

It really doesn't come close to NYC, still.

Old 02-09-2009, 07:44 PM

3,940 posts, read 13,345,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You can def get around Denver w/o a car. We have light rail, some built and much under construction, also an extensive bus system in Denver and most of the burbs. Google "RTD" to learn more. I don't know why you're worrying about enough for an 18-20 yr old to do. There are plenty of clubs that have "teen nights" for the under 21 crowd. There is hiking, biking, kayaking, just about every outdoor activity except surfing available either in the city (yes, you can kayak in the city) or close by in the mountains, and there is some public transit to the mtns.
That's very true. Denver has one of the best light rail systems in America. If you live in the Capital Hill District you probably wouldn't even want a car because it's just so incredibly close to anything you'd ever need. You can also get to most of the suburban malls by light rail if you get the itch for really good shopping.

Old 02-09-2009, 08:10 PM

1,345 posts, read 3,770,752 times
I'm going through my background check with the DC Fire Dept so Ive been pricing out things in DC. Not going too well. haha Most of DC seems on par with what Rachael was posting with NYC. Even in some of the not so great neighborhoods, rent it about $1200/month for a studio.

I have been told that many firefighters in DC live hours away from work. Some as far as Delaware. Even though I am already a firefighter in WI, I would have to go through the fire academy again because DC is a large city with one of the best fire departments around. During the academy I will be working 10-12 hour days 5 days/week. So living two states away will not work.

I haven't looked at car insurance yet. DC's Metro is very good, but it doesn't run 24 hours. Being a DC firefighter, means leaving for work at about 4am. So I will definitely need my car to get around. I also think that it would be nice for Metro to have a monthly card like NYC has.

However, as overpriced as DC, NY, LA, SF, etc. are, you are getting so much. Some one mentioned earlier about living in Long Beach and being able to just go outside and walk to the beach. I'd love that instead of having almost no choices here in Milwaukee during the winter due to the cold weather. It's pretty much either go to the bar, a movie, bowling, or a a concert.

Then cities like DC, NY, Chicago, and Boston have such great public transportation which is worth the money as well. Spending $100/month on trains and buses can be very nice compared to paying all of that money for car insurance, gas, etc. It's also nice being able to get across DC(which has some of the worst traffic in the country) for about $3 in 20-30 minutes.

Old 02-10-2009, 09:23 AM

6,972 posts, read 12,500,351 times
I am from the Boston area. That area is ridiculously expensive but it has numerous suburbs or other cities within an hour to live in. That helps getting ones expenses down abit. Still the cost of living there is ridiculous for which much is older housing and long commutes. I live in Portland which is much cheaper than Boston or Massachusetts. However there is less housing choices here as is there less suburbs and or cities to choose from for ones housing choices. Much of Portland is not like the travel magazines describe. It has some very noticable have and have not neighborhoods on top of each other, and I mean alot. Therefore finding housing can be a problem. That is if one wants to live in or near Portland. Like I said there are not alot of communities that make up this metro area and that really cuts into places to look for housing. The cost of living here though as I said is less than Boston it is creeping up. After all its the only major metro area between Seattle and San Francisco some 800 miles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.