U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 08:00 PM

3,277 posts, read 4,681,493 times

Advertisements

Okay, I hear all the time about how our top cities are so expensive, I want someone to quantify that for me. This is directed at anyone who lives in:

New York
San Francisco
Chicago
Seattle
Boston
Philadelphia
D.C
Austin
Portland

I'd prefer those places because those are pretty much the only cities I'm impressed with as of now. but anyone else is free to chime in.

I want to know how much you pay per month in:

Rent
Utilities/Bills
Groceries
Car Insurance(if applicable)
General entertainment
Anything significant I've missed

If you don't feel comfortable sharing this information, it's okay. But I want some solid answers so I know for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2009, 08:49 PM

8,900 posts, read 13,524,775 times
I live in Astoria in NYC, basically one of the most expensive and one of the most sought-after areas in the outerboroughs.

My rent is low, but most 1 bedrooms (most are tiny) run around 1200.
I pay $110 a month for cable/internet. I have the next step higher than basic cable.
I rarely have that much electricity on (don't watch that much tv), so my electric bill is around $40 a month.
I have heat and hot water included, so don't know how much that runs.
You don't need a car here, lots of buses/subways and quick to get into midtown.
To go see a movie is about $30 for ticket, popcorn, soda.
You can manage to go grocery shopping cheaply. I buy everything on sale and I only spend about $30 a week on food. Groceries cost more here, compared to most of the country.
Bridges are $5 one way if you drive.
Unlimited monthly metrocard is $80 or so.

Old 02-08-2009, 10:50 PM

2,601 posts, read 4,164,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
Okay, I hear all the time about how our top cities are so expensive, I want someone to quantify that for me. This is directed at anyone who lives in:

New York
San Francisco
Chicago
Seattle
Boston
Philadelphia
D.C
Austin
Portland

I'd prefer those places because those are pretty much the only cities I'm impressed with as of now. but anyone else is free to chime in.

Rent
Utilities/Bills
Groceries
General entertainment

If you don't feel comfortable sharing this information, it's okay. But I want some solid answers so I know for sure.
This link will give you the information you are looking for.Cost of living: Compare prices in two cities - CNNMoney.com

Old 02-08-2009, 10:51 PM

88,586 posts, read 104,925,784 times
Denver:

Rent: My daughter rents an older two bedroom apt in a nice neighborhood for $650.

Utilities/Bills: I don't know what she pays. We paid ~$200 last mo for an 8 room house, gas and electric. That will probably be the highest of the year. You don't generally need to use a lot of A/C in the summer.

Groceries: Not much different than anywhere else.

Car Insurance(if applicable): It varies of course with the car and the age of the driver. For older cars, about 800/yr.

General entertainment: Movie: $8. Nice dinner $20 and up per person. I don't know about bars, etc. Lots of sporting events to attend. The ski resorts have all sorts of deals, but I don't ski any more, so I don't know how much an average lift ticket is. I'm guessing with a discount ticket which you can buy at the grocery store, $50.

Old 02-08-2009, 10:58 PM

4,552 posts, read 13,624,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Denver:

Rent: My daughter rents an older two bedroom apt in a nice neighborhood for $650.

Utilities/Bills: I don't know what she pays. We paid ~$200 last mo for an 8 room house, gas and electric. That will probably be the highest of the year. You don't generally need to use a lot of A/C in the summer.

Groceries: Not much different than anywhere else.

Car Insurance(if applicable): It varies of course with the car and the age of the driver. For older cars, about 800/yr.

General entertainment: Movie: $8. Nice dinner $20 and up per person. I don't know about bars, etc. Lots of sporting events to attend. The ski resorts have all sorts of deals, but I don't ski any more, so I don't know how much an average lift ticket is. I'm guessing with a discount ticket which you can buy at the grocery store, $50.

thats what I pay for a 1 bedroom apt in a descent area, nothing fancy.

Old 02-09-2009, 12:06 AM

3,277 posts, read 4,681,493 times
Thanks everyone for the input so far, and thanks especially to NewInWI for that useful tool.

Denver sounds relatively good, my only concern is being able to live without a car and having enough things to do for an 18-20something. Other than that I like everything I know about Denver.

Old 02-09-2009, 12:57 AM

2,506 posts, read 7,835,188 times
Denver has one of the most developed light rail systems in the country.

Old 02-09-2009, 05:44 AM

2,783 posts, read 6,486,283 times
Philadelphia is not very expensive, comparatively.

Old 02-09-2009, 08:29 AM

389 posts, read 999,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post

Rent
Utilities/Bills
Groceries
General entertainment

I don't think Philly is expensive, but here's what I pay.

Rent: $1200 a month (would be $1150, but i get charged extra for my 2 dogs). I live in a 3 bedroom rowhome with a driveway and backyard.

Utilities/bills: Gas is usually around $60 when it's not freezing out, but it was $250 last month. :/ Electric is around $50 until summer comes then it shoots up because of the central air. Cable/Internet/Phone is about $150 all together,I have Comcast triple-play.

Car insurance: about $70, but I don't have a new car. Otherwise it probably would be a bit higher.

Anything significant I missed: Philadelphia wage tax: I work outside the city, so about 3% or 4% (I think?) of my pay just disappears every time I get paid. Bastards.

Old 02-09-2009, 08:40 AM

9,409 posts, read 18,307,822 times
There are a lot of variables to consider...will you be driving, because auto insurance and parking can put a big dent in your budget when living in places like NY or LA. Gas prices are highest in California, as well as groceries. The good thing about LA, Boston and NY, there are a lot of ethnic markets where you can shop for cheaper groceries than the major supermarkets. If you choose to live in the heart of the city you'll pay more, the outskirts will be cheaper. Entertainment you might find yourself spending more in the colder climate cities since you'll most likely be going places indoors that cost money. I find there are a lot more things I can to do entertain myself in the warmer months that don't cost anything than in winter. That said, it may be cheaper to entertain youself in cities like LA or Austin if you enjoy the outdoors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.