U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-09-2009, 11:36 PM

10,419 posts, read 13,976,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Most people living in Manhattan are transplants. If someone grew up in Manhattan, they'll usually move to the suburbs to start a family. Most of the snobby people you encounter in Manhattan are transplants who think they're the best thing since they "made" it in NY
The same situation applies to SF and LA too. Most natives are out in the suburbs while egotistical transplants dominate the city of SF or West LA. So many transplants in CA have this "i've made it" stuck up attitude while natives are real and down to earth.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2009, 03:53 AM

2,958 posts, read 3,754,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Most people living in Manhattan are transplants. If someone grew up in Manhattan, they'll usually move to the suburbs to start a family. Most of the snobby people you encounter in Manhattan are transplants who think they're the best thing since they "made" it in NY
This is yet another thing similar between NYC and SF. It sucks when transplants become the face of a city while the natives become relative unknowns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
The same situation applies to SF and LA too. Most natives are out in the suburbs while egotistical transplants dominate the city of SF or West LA. So many transplants in CA have this "i've made it" stuck up attitude while natives are real and down to earth.
Yeah, I can't stand those types.

Old 02-10-2009, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
The definition is too broad to be meaningful. Is $50/hr plumber working class? How about 80K a year nurse?

Anyways, what's up with the "elite" label slapped on NYC and SF? Every member of society tries to move up and not down both economically and socially. Is there anything wrong with that? Would you rather send your kid to an 'elite' school or run of the mill 'community college'? We routinely chose presidents out of alumni of 'elite' schools so it does not seem that there is any widespread sentiment against elitism in education. What is wrong with being or trying to become part of the elite?
Nothing's wrong with being "elite," everything's wrong with being "elitist." Only a fool would resent a wealthy, successful person who is kind and giving treats people with respect, simply because they have succeeded in life. People like that aren't the ones that motivate others to label them as elitist. Its the cocky jerks who have money but suck at life that cause that resentment. And elitism doesn't have to necessarily come from the wealthy; it can manifest in various forms. I've known aspiring yuppies who were broke but still acted the way they believed "elites" should act.

I could care less how much or how little money someone might have. We're all human and we all have our flaws, and as long as people keep that in perspective and treat others with some kind of decency I have no problem. But talk down your nose to me or others and you will be labeled an elitist.

Old 02-10-2009, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
"Elite" is not a dollar amount, it is an attitude. There are a number of very rich individuals that I have met who are very down to earth and don't look down on others who make far less than they do. Then there are alot of people who think they are so refined and important and better because they have lots of money.

Class is not something you buy. A college professor I had in college made prbably mid 5 figures, yet was so knowlegable, refined and smart. Someone like p diddy, on the other hand, is completely classless the way he acts. Same with paris hilton and others
Yeah, I totally agree. Very well put. Especially with the Puffy and Paris Hilton examples.

Old 02-10-2009, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhome View Post
Are you hsw's wife???
LMAO seriously!! If not his wife then at least his kid. LOL

Old 02-10-2009, 06:37 AM

8,904 posts, read 6,796,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post

That's how it is in NY too.

Old 02-10-2009, 07:33 AM

1,624 posts, read 2,022,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
Yeah, I totally agree. Very well put. Especially with the Puffy and Paris Hilton examples.
But we make them the elite! By "we" I mean the general population that buys their records, watches their shows or buys tabloids posting their pictures. And if in fact the general population is so interested in their private lifes despite their obnoxious behaviour than maybe any complains about them are simply "out of touch with the general public" elitist requests? Maybe general public wants them to act this way so they have something to read and talk about?

Old 02-10-2009, 08:23 AM

9,258 posts, read 11,876,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
The definition is too broad to be meaningful. Is $50/hr plumber working class? How about 80K a year nurse?

Both are working class. Class is this instance is determined by occupation not income. Many union building tradesman in cities like Chicago and New York make over $100,000 a year and I guarantee you most see themselves as working class.

Old 02-10-2009, 09:38 AM

2,917 posts, read 5,282,825 times
I'm not particularly fond of any of the cities you mention but Los Angeles would be my pick. There's much better weather there at least. You couldn't pay me to live in Chicago.

Old 02-10-2009, 12:05 PM

1,624 posts, read 2,022,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Both are working class. Class is this instance is determined by occupation not income. Many union building tradesman in cities like Chicago and New York make over $100,000 a year and I guarantee you most see themselves as working class.
That was my point Tom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.