U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which SUmmer Night can you Handle or Prefer?
Florida Summer Night 34 31.78%
California Summer Night(So.Cal) 77 71.96%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 03:53 AM

96 posts, read 212,226 times

Advertisements

I have never been so So Cal but........I have lived in Arizona for a bit, I imagine they must be somewhat similar, at least in the same ballpark, however, I chose Florida. I loved the feeling of the nightime there, the humidity just kept it feeling wonderful imo. I also loved the daytime feel in Florida as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 01:17 PM

10,827 posts, read 9,457,826 times
In the day, obviously SoCal wins. At night...

Warm humid nights are awesome for swimming along the beach or for sitting in screened porches sheltered from the bugs.

Cool Cali nights are for bonfires on the beach and late night volleyball games.

I find both those activities quite enjoyable, with the slight edge to California because of the ability to open windows in your dwelling

Old 04-07-2012, 05:41 PM

5,368 posts, read 5,161,385 times
California.

Here in Tampa the Summers are so absurdly hot, even at night time. My friends and I like to go out partying on the weekends and during the summer time I will go out wearing shorts, sandles (or converse), and a light shirt because the heat is just too unbearable.

I have been to California in mid may and the nights were actually very cold. Assuming temperatures rise by about 10 degrees during the summer months compared to may I am sure it would be very pleasant.

Old 04-08-2012, 10:16 PM

343 posts, read 846,977 times
I suppose it depends on whether you'd like it to be 100 degrees at night or 60 degrees at night. With one, it's possible to sleep. With the other, it's possible to swim and still feel too hot. I implore anyone to live in Southern California for a summer and try to claim the weather is not ideal.

Old 04-08-2012, 11:00 PM

296 posts, read 539,224 times
Fl, the warm humid nights are nice in the summer, hot in the day, but at night, feels good, not to hot or to cool.

Old 04-09-2012, 11:07 PM

614 posts, read 1,252,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Missouri boy View Post
I have never been so So Cal but........I have lived in Arizona for a bit, I imagine they must be somewhat similar, at least in the same ballpark, however, I chose Florida. I loved the feeling of the nightime there, the humidity just kept it feeling wonderful imo. I also loved the daytime feel in Florida as well.
Old post, but southern california and arizona summer nights are not in the same ball park unless you're in Palm Springs or somewhere in the desert. Arizona summer nights can stay into the 90's all night. It could happen in LA but once in a blue moon. Even during a
heatwave, lows will typically dip into low-mid 70's in the LA basin.

Out of the two, I choose SoCal. A happy medium between the two would be Hawaii. Humid enough but not suffocating feeling like you're in a sauna.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:40 AM

398 posts, read 622,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I never noticed any particular smell in south Florida. Now, here on Long Island during summer nights, you can smell the salty ocean; that's noticeable and very nice
What an odd post.

You can smell the salty ocean in long island, but not Miami? Talk about delusional.

I see this account has been deleted, I guess they were trolling.

That being said... as far as weather goes, I prefer the more tropical Florida. I know lots of people love CA's mild climate, I didn't. CA as a state (YES) weather, NO. It's a bit too chilly for me, even chillier than East Coast nights often. Bring on the hotter weather. I hate wearing long sleeves, fleeces, hoodies, jackets... I never want to pull them out of my closet if I don't need to. Not sure if SoCal is like this, but in the Bay Area I pretty much had to wear some kind of fleece/jacket the entire year at night, and most of the year in the days. If it drops under 70, fleece is coming out.

Now summer "days" I'd go with SoCal... I like it around 85-90, it's about perfect, no need for 100, but it doesn't necessarily bother me. The chilly at night I just don't like, or chilly anytime rather.

Last edited by Lizz0rd; 04-10-2012 at 09:49 AM..

Old 07-15-2013, 11:21 PM

1 posts, read 702 times
Okay, while it is obvious that California has cooler dryer nights with less biting insects, I am going to focus on the less then obvious reasons that I prefer Florida summer nights. For the record I am speaking of Southern Florida in particular. First I will discuss the smells... Florida summer nights have a sweet aroma of salty air, fresh dew, night blooming Jasmine, Crinum lily, Gardenia, and a host of tropical flowers blooming most summer long in developed areas. By contrast, developed areas of Southern California kind of smell like motor oil day & night. Now for the sounds, Florida nights are often filled with the sounds of crickets chirping, frogs croaking, gators bellowing, like a symphony of nature. By contrast my nights in Southern California sounded like traffic, people chattering, emergency sirens from law enforcement and helicopters. For the record there were crickets chirping in California too, but they were drowned out by the ambient noise and you had to listen real close to hear them. Sights... Now California has quite a variable elevation, so there are some really breathtaking views of city lights, and summer is the time to sit outside and take in those views, so the scenic back drop of city lights, date palms, and windmill palms is very nice. But, for some reason it all feels a little too vast and open to me. By contrast Florida is mostly flat, so you have more of a sense coziness, and privacy as you can seldom see very far through the dense vegetation. Yes, I really do prefer laying on a hammock in a chickee screen house under the coconut palms with the frogs singing me to sleep in Florida. There is just something about the overall mood and tropical feel of Southern Florida that make the summer nights more satisfying to me. I think Southern Florida does a better job of connecting with a deep seeded desire I have to be in a tropical paradise, cracking coconuts and chewing on sugar cane. This emotion is not so easily brought out in Southern California. Your experiences may vary... but for me, I just have to go Florida on this one.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:04 AM

1,314 posts, read 1,741,080 times
It just blows me away that anyone could prefer 85 dripping with humidity to 65 and dry. How can you sleep when it's that hot? Why would you want to sweat every time you take a walk? I realize everyone is different and I'm trusting that some people actually prefer high heat and humidity to room temperature, but I just can't relate at all, it seems made up.

Old 07-16-2013, 10:31 AM

801 posts, read 860,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowsAndBeer View Post
It just blows me away that anyone could prefer 85 dripping with humidity to 65 and dry. How can you sleep when it's that hot? Why would you want to sweat every time you take a walk? I realize everyone is different and I'm trusting that some people actually prefer high heat and humidity to room temperature, but I just can't relate at all, it seems made up.
Some people grow up in it and just got used to things being that way. I know the humidity is not as bad in Orlando, but to me the air feels like a blanket and it's nice to sit outside on a spring, summer, or fall night, or go for a walk. It's not 85 degrees at night in Orlando, more mid-70s temps. 65 in the summer is too cool for me, that is spring and fall temp. Personally, I don't like a single hint of cold during the night in the summer - no wind at all and temps need to stay above 70 degrees. That said, I like both SoCal Summer Nights and Florida Summer nights equally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.