U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 10:42 PM

2,303 posts, read 5,172,860 times

Advertisements

How many people live in Richmond? I just drove smack through downtown about a week ago and I never realized it had such a massive looking downtown...lots of skyscrapers. It was quite nice. Is Virginia Beach still the largest city?

And not to get off topic, but what's up with cities in VA not being in counties? Since you live there, you probably understand what I'm saying, but I remember being on the interstate and seeing that Richmond, Fredricksburg, Alexandria and some other cities are not in the counties that surround them. I was a little confused.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2007, 10:51 PM

1,489 posts, read 8,126,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manofbess View Post
How many people live in Richmond? I just drove smack through downtown about a week ago and I never realized it had such a massive looking downtown...lots of skyscrapers. It was quite nice. Is Virginia Beach still the largest city?

And not to get off topic, but what's up with cities in VA not being in counties? Since you live there, you probably understand what I'm saying, but I remember being on the interstate and seeing that Richmond, Fredricksburg, Alexandria and some other cities are not in the counties that surround them. I was a little confused.
I'm not sure those technically would be called skyscrapers since most of the buildings downtown are under 80 floors. They're just big buildings.

The city of Richmond is aboot 200,000 people. The Metro Area is about 500,000 I think. Virginia is a Commonwealth, so cities are not part of the counties.
Richmond City is not part of Henrico County. Alexandria is a seperate city from Fairfax, county, etc.
VA Beach is the largest city in Virginia.

Old 03-19-2007, 10:55 PM

2,303 posts, read 5,172,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasinger View Post
I'm not sure those technically would be called skyscrapers since most of the buildings downtown are under 80 floors. They're just big buildings.
Hey, I come from a town of about 4,000 that had two stop lights...now there's one. So anything that's taller than maybe 10 stories is a skyscraper to me

Old 03-19-2007, 11:06 PM

Well, thats true. Ironically to most people from big cities, Richmond is a relatively small or medium sized city. I am used to Richmond now. I used to live way out in the country.

I went to Atlanta a few years ago and I just felt overwhelmed. Even Nashville seemed faster paced than Richmond.

Old 03-19-2007, 11:25 PM

2,408 posts, read 13,365,710 times
Richmond's Metro area actually has a population of approximately 1.1 million people. Like vasinger said, Virginia Beach is the state's largest city with roughly 450,000 people, although it certainly doesn't feel like it as the city sort of sprawls out across a large area so it's fairly low-density and suburban and really lacking a traditional urban core that many smaller Virginia cities like Richmond (pop. 200,000) and Roanoke (pop. 90,000) have.

The whole independent city thing that Virginia has going on is indeed a bit screwy. Cities smack in the middle of a county are technically not a part of them. In Northern Virginia, places like Manassas, Manassas Park, Fairfax, and Falls Church are all independent cities in spite of some of them being quite small (Manassas Park has a population of 10,000). I think this is something unique to Virginia in this country.

Old 03-19-2007, 11:57 PM

1 million people? I heard that it was declining. That sounds awfully big. I guess if you include a 30 mile radius then it would be that. I only include Henrico county.

Old 03-20-2007, 12:19 AM

2,408 posts, read 13,365,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasinger View Post
1 million people? I heard that it was declining. That sounds awfully big. I guess if you include a 30 mile radius then it would be that. I only include Henrico county.
The city of Richmond's population is declining but the metro area's population is actually increasing fairly rapidly, especially in Chesterfield and Henrico counties.

The Census Bureau's definition of the Metro area, which is generally regarded as the official boundaries for the nation's metro areas, has the population of 1.1 million that I cited. A metro area (MSA) can extend very far from the hub city. For example, the D.C. area's metro population is technically combined as a CMSA (Consolidated Metro Area) and combined with Baltimore and stretches all the way to West Virginia and southern Pennsylvania. A list of the area's that are included in Richmond's MSA can be found here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richmond-Petersburg

Old 03-20-2007, 12:22 AM

Hmm. Why not just include the entire east coast? I never understood why D.C. is swallowing up such a large area. Thats like almost 200 mile radius. But then again, I never understood why people put mustard on hot dogs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or