Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 10:09 AM

38 posts, read 148,840 times

Advertisements

I am looking to relocate my family to either Sc,Nc or Ga and open up a pizzeria and I do not know what town to move to, that can use another pizza Place.I am looking for a small town that is no more than 30 minutes to major shopping and malls.A town that people already are NOT flocking to,but a place that people would love to move to in the years to come.I am trying to find that next big place that evryone would love to live.I am looking for a place that is clean & Beautiful (Nice Scenery Mountains o.k. too) that I can have a chance that my pizzeria cound do well. I currently live in So.Fla. and there is a pizzeria on every corner plus the rents go for about $30 to $42 square foot.It is Hard to make a living with all the competition and the cost of doing business.I would like to live in a area that the homes are very affordable (3000sq Ft for under $300,000 or around) and taxes are low.Also I have 3 boys so the schools have to be very good and the crime very low.My boys play sports,so a town that has alot of organized sports and ball fields ,also some activities for them.If anyone has any feedback on where to begin I would appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2006, 01:03 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,181,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulyD
I am looking to relocate my family to either Sc,Nc or Ga and open up a pizzeria and I do not know what town to move to, that can use another pizza Place.I am looking for a small town that is no more than 30 minutes to major shopping and malls.A town that people already are NOT flocking to,but a place that people would love to move to in the years to come.I am trying to find that next big place that evryone would love to live.I am looking for a place that is clean & Beautiful (Nice Scenery Mountains o.k. too) that I can have a chance that my pizzeria cound do well. I currently live in So.Fla. and there is a pizzeria on every corner plus the rents go for about $30 to $42 square foot.It is Hard to make a living with all the competition and the cost of doing business.I would like to live in a area that the homes are very affordable (3000sq Ft for under $300,000 or around) and taxes are low.Also I have 3 boys so the schools have to be very good and the crime very low.My boys play sports,so a town that has alot of organized sports and ball fields ,also some activities for them.If anyone has any feedback on where to begin I would appreciate it.

have you looked at Clover, SC (Lake Wylie)?

Old 06-22-2006, 10:10 PM

137 posts, read 737,009 times
Peachtree City, GA is a great place to live and raise a family. It NEEDS more mom and pop kind of places since we have a lot of chain restaraunts, but few locally owned. It is an awesome town that is on the south side of Atlanta. Check us out! The home prices meet your criteria, but the taxes are high here (I think) -- about $3000 on a $300k home. BUT we get a lot from that $$. We have over 100 miles of cart paths which make living here feel like you live in a resort. Literally all of the dining, shopping, schools, homes, etc are connected to this system. Golf carting is a major form of transportation here! : ) The schools here are top-notch. The best in the state and in the top of the country. CNN/Money mag rated Peachtree City as the 8th best place to live in the country in 2005. It really is! Good luck and happy pizza making! Yum! We also need a bagel shop and a local donut place.

Old 06-23-2006, 07:07 AM

I thought I would come in this morning and have a dozen replies.Where is everyone. More info would help.I would like to check out a few more towns.Thanks... lovethecarolinas and ptcgirl for the info.

Old 06-23-2006, 10:04 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,446,022 times
well, Pauly, the "General US" Boards don't get nearly the same traffic as the individual GA, NC, and SC boards do. that may be why you are't getting many responses here.

But, it seems to me that you have very high, possibly even unrealistic expectations. I mean, a place that is 30 minutes from good shopping (a city) is a suburb of that city. Thus it would no longer be a 'small town'.

I'll try to help you, but there's no answer based on the criteria you've given. You basically just described all the best qualities of living in a small town, plus the best qualities of living in a suburb, plus some qualities than neither will have.

So, to sum things up, you want:
-Scenic location
-Low taxes
-Very low crime
-Very good schools
-Organized sports
-Cheap housing
-Near a major shopping district
-Not growing NOW, but will be growing SOON

I'd do some prioritizing and figure out a few of these which are most important. For example, if you've got low crime and great schools, you're going to have expensive property and high taxes. And everyone will already to be looking to move to that place. If you want a place that isn't booming already, then you're going to be looking at worse schools, maybe not good organized sports, and probably not anywhere near a good shopping district.

Old 06-23-2006, 11:03 AM

Good Point anonymous, I guess there really is no Paradise, but what I mean it something close to that. My main priority is a place I can Open up a pizzeria ,where a town calls for one, good schools and affordable living, and somwhat close to major shopping and malls

Old 06-23-2006, 11:40 AM

478 posts, read 2,296,970 times
I guess the point being made is that the question asks for one to look into the future to make a guess. No one knows where the next hot spot will be.

Also, it should be noted that the money you could save in rent would be lost if you find yourself on the unfortunate side of a hurricane. Parts of Raleigh flooded pretty badly just from the tropical remnants of the most recent storm (Alberto).

I'd recommend taking a month off, going on an extensive road trip, and finding the place where you want to start your new business. If nothing else, at least you can have fun in the process.

Best of luck to you!

Old 06-23-2006, 02:18 PM

2,356 posts, read 3,446,022 times
Well, about towns that will grow - at least in South Carolina, I could think of a few. You may want to get out your map!

Beaufort is basically guaranteed to continue its growth. It isn't a small town, and it doesn't have good public schools, but it does have good, affordable private schools. I think it would be a fun place to live.

The Hollywood/Ravenel area outside of Charleston is a sure bet as well. It's still pretty rural, and I doubt it has good schools, but it's worth looking into.

The north side of Lake Murray, around Chapin or in Newberry county will probably see growth. It isn't too far away from Columbia, and I believe it would have fairly decent schools.

Winnsboro, SC - north of Columbia on I-77 is a nice little town. It has a good, affordable private school. It may not be a hot-spot for growth, but it's not too far from Columbia.

I'm not much of an upstate aficionado, so you'll have to get someone else to help you out with those. I like Seattlite's idea, I'd -definitely- take a road trip and check these places out first. Good luck.

Old 06-24-2006, 08:01 AM

5,297 posts, read 6,273,878 times
The Gaston SC area may be good,the area is just starting to grow,there have been quite a few places opening up there in the past year,It seems everytime I go there something else pops up. Lexington seems to be alittle crowded,not to mention they have quite a few pizza places there.

Old 06-24-2006, 06:56 PM

320 posts, read 1,553,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous
well, Pauly, the "General US" Boards don't get nearly the same traffic as the individual GA, NC, and SC boards do. that may be why you are't getting many responses here.

But, it seems to me that you have very high, possibly even unrealistic expectations. I mean, a place that is 30 minutes from good shopping (a city) is a suburb of that city. Thus it would no longer be a 'small town'.

I'll try to help you, but there's no answer based on the criteria you've given. You basically just described all the best qualities of living in a small town, plus the best qualities of living in a suburb, plus some qualities than neither will have.

So, to sum things up, you want:
-Scenic location
-Low taxes
-Very low crime
-Very good schools
-Organized sports
-Cheap housing
-Near a major shopping district
-Not growing NOW, but will be growing SOON

I'd do some prioritizing and figure out a few of these which are most important. For example, if you've got low crime and great schools, you're going to have expensive property and high taxes. And everyone will already to be looking to move to that place. If you want a place that isn't booming already, then you're going to be looking at worse schools, maybe not good organized sports, and probably not anywhere near a good shopping district.
Elizabethtown, KY fits all of these criteria, including 30 minutes from good shopping (Louisville) and it is not a suburb of Louisville in any way.

However, I am not sure that we are in need of another pizza place. But who knows, most of our pizza places are chains and a mom and pop establishment with atmosphere may actually fill a niche.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.