U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2009, 07:34 PM

542 posts, read 1,288,104 times

Advertisements

^ Exactly. If it's European flavor you want, then why don't you go to Europe? Stop trying to replicate them and let America be America. And they say these old American cities have all the "culture" and "character" in the country.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2009, 07:58 PM

10,234 posts, read 13,979,154 times
Well, y'know, people tend to admire towns/cities in other countries because they're more colorful and have "character". But residential dwellings tend to be cramped together, often on VERY hilly terrain, and Americans typically don't like much for color on their buildings. In reality, most of us would NOT want to live in such surroundings.

Europe has VERY old cities that have the architectural designs and lay-outs that they do BECAUSE they were constructed so long ago. We are still a "new" country with different origins where settlements are concerned. One of our oldest states, New Orleans, has sections of the city that are more ornate because of its French and Spanish history that formed and survived over time.

In other cities where older buildings have been preserved, like San Francisco, most people can't afford them, anyway. But, y'know, if WE are so ugly then why do many foreign tourists visit here???

Old 02-10-2009, 08:38 PM

1,191 posts, read 3,235,312 times
Richmond, Virginia certainly isn't ugly !

Old 02-10-2009, 09:32 PM

5,812 posts, read 16,649,938 times
Cities were beautiful, ugly, sprawled-out suburbs developed, the city decayed, now parts of the cities are ugly. The suburbs made the cities ugly.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:26 PM

2,898 posts, read 2,876,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
Let's talk about cereal.

This morning I had muesli, it was amazing.
You are making me hungry. All I had was cream of wheat with a little maple sugar!

Old 02-11-2009, 12:06 AM

3,597 posts, read 7,703,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
You are making me hungry. All I had was cream of wheat with a little maple sugar!
Ooh that sounds good too. I'll try that out in a few hours.

I really dig grains.

Old 02-11-2009, 04:18 AM

1,624 posts, read 2,906,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post
I think Europe is great, but it wouldn't be as cool if America tried to become the new Europe. While there are many cities with European flair, there is always that element that gives them that American zing that's cool in its own way.
The ugliness of American cities comes from the fact that they were built around factories, mixing residential with industrial. They were cities of purpose not of beauty, built around factories and ports and not palaces or castles. Once the industry started to moved out cities started to change and focus more on aesthetics and quality of life.

It is hard to imagine but even Manhattan was once a thriving manufacturing city hence the abundance of lofts today.
In other cities their industrial origin is even more obvious.

Old 02-11-2009, 07:05 AM

3,277 posts, read 4,613,972 times
Cities on the East ZCoast tend to look better because they are older, NYC, Boston, etc. And another thing I find is that cities that were built mostly by the Frennch or Spanish also have nice architecture and layouts, as someone else pointed out.

It seems that at one specific point in time, all the good urban planners in America just disappeared. Never to be seen or learned from again...

Old 02-13-2009, 10:56 AM

3,368 posts, read 10,502,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
Cities on the East ZCoast tend to look better because they are older, NYC, Boston, etc. And another thing I find is that cities that were built mostly by the Frennch or Spanish also have nice architecture and layouts, as someone else pointed out.

It seems that at one specific point in time, all the good urban planners in America just disappeared. Never to be seen or learned from again...
I agree. However, I would like to add that in this country there are many auto-dominated suburbs and even cities that are clean, well-lanscaped, and "pretty" overall... however, I will take a sustainable city built for the pedestrian that has character and nice architecture over a "pretty" American-style city anyday.

Old 02-13-2009, 10:59 AM

1,461 posts, read 4,239,420 times
Wow, I guess you have never seen some of the smaller New England cities, huh? Not all the cities here are ugly...as a matter of fact, I can't think of one because I do love being an American. Take some time to do more research on the New England area...and...if I am not mistaken, San Francisco, Seattle Washington, parts of Oregon, Alaska and more all have gorgeous city areas. I think you should re-phrase what constitutes ugly when it comes to American cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.