U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 03:16 PM
rah

3,315 posts, read 8,120,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacknblue View Post
What an original response!
I live here so it's my prerogative. It fits because San Francisco doesn't straitjacket itself into dualistic gender roles.

Besides, stereotypes can be fun. (You seem like a fun person.)

Speaking of Paris as a Gigolo. . .
Hey, I'm bitter, what can I say.

Lemme see if I can play...

Chicago: mobster (masculine)
Las Vegas: Robert De Niro as a mobster (masculine)
New York: sauerkraut and more mobsters (masculine)
San Francisco: transvestites and hippies! (feminine)

what a fun game!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2009, 04:01 PM

1,694 posts, read 5,076,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyserSoze View Post
I think you get the feel of whether a city is masculine or feminine by looking at the women of the area, and how they carry themselves. Just an observation.
Oh then in that case yes SF is feminine..and LA is extremely feminine.

Old 02-12-2009, 05:58 AM

6,749 posts, read 19,950,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Well, DC could be a town of a lot of men but masculine...I don't think so. What exactly is it about DC that makes the word "manly" come to mind? Ditto NYC, San Francisco, Chicago, Los Angeles or any of those nail buffing, loafer with tassel wearing, man-bag toting, hair product, fragrance-wearing, wine sipping cities. And I'm not talking about the gay population, either.
Give me a "manly man" any day honey! If my man uses more hair products than I do, I have to wonder lol

Old 02-12-2009, 09:58 AM

2,775 posts, read 10,720,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
Nice, it only took one post for someone to say something like this. How original! You played the oldest, most tired, and predictable stereotype in the book.

And this is a stupid topic. Masculinity/femininity are traits of an individual. Not a city.
He means in general, which isn't too hard to understand pal. I definitely noticed a more feminine vibe in Miami than I did in Buffalo. Who cares if a few guys in Miami are manly? That doesn't make up for the majority who are fashion gurus.

Old 02-13-2009, 03:12 PM
rah

3,315 posts, read 8,120,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futcha View Post
He means in general, which isn't too hard to understand pal. I definitely noticed a more feminine vibe in Miami than I did in Buffalo. Who cares if a few guys in Miami are manly? That doesn't make up for the majority who are fashion gurus.
Oh, so according to you, in general guys in Miami are fashion gurus? And thus Miami is "feminine?" Do you really not understand how ridiculous you sound?

Old 03-13-2009, 03:12 PM

1 posts, read 1,841 times
you guys obviously didn't read about Combos manly city study.

COMBOS(R) Brand Releases Manliest Cities in America Rankings With Nashville at Top and New York at Bottom - Yahoo! Finance
(http://finance.yahoo.com/news/COMBOSR-Brand-Releases-prnews-14553226.html - broken link) Here is how they determine masculinity in a city: "Each metro area received a manliness rating between 0 and 100 based on how well it performed in each of the study's manly categories. Factors used to determine the manliest city rankings included the number of U.S.-made cars driven in the city, number of sports bars and BBQ restaurants, number of home improvement and hardware stores as well as manly salty snacks consumption. All data was adjusted by the current population of the cities to arrive at "per capita" figures, providing an accurate comparison between cities of varying sizes."

Here are the top 5 manliest cities
1 Nashville, Tenn.
2 Charlotte, N.C.
3 Oklahoma City, Okla.
4 Cincinnati, Ohio
5 Denver, Colo.

Here are the bottom 5 manliest cities:
46 Chicago, Ill.
47Portland, Ore.
48 San Francisco, Calif.
49 Los Angeles, Calif.
50 New York, N.Y.

Last edited by fake311; 03-13-2009 at 03:14 PM.. Reason: formatting problem

Old 03-13-2009, 04:04 PM

1,694 posts, read 5,076,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fake311 View Post

COMBOS(R) Brand Releases Manliest Cities in America Rankings With Nashville at Top and New York at Bottom - Yahoo! Finance
(http://finance.yahoo.com/news/COMBOSR-Brand-Releases-prnews-14553226.html - broken link) Here is how they determine masculinity in a city: "Each metro area received a manliness rating between 0 and 100 based on how well it performed in each of the study's manly categories. Factors used to determine the manliest city rankings included the number of U.S.-made cars driven in the city, number of sports bars and BBQ restaurants, number of home improvement and hardware stores as well as manly salty snacks consumption. All data was adjusted by the current population of the cities to arrive at "per capita" figures, providing an accurate comparison between cities of varying sizes."

1 Nashville, Tenn.
2 Charlotte, N.C.
3 Oklahoma City, Okla.
4 Cincinnati, Ohio
5 Denver, Colo.

46 Chicago, Ill.
47Portland, Ore.
48 San Francisco, Calif.
49 Los Angeles, Calif.
50 New York, N.Y.
Yes we all read how getting drunk off cheap beer in a sports bar while watching nascar and getting fat of salty snacks makes you a man.

Old 03-13-2009, 09:55 PM

5,772 posts, read 13,726,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden-mind-State View Post
Yes we all read how getting drunk off cheap beer in a sports bar while watching nascar and getting fat of salty snacks makes you a man.
Except that the factors from the above study which were listed in the opening post did NOT include beer consumption. That was a serious oversight, as I would say that beer consumption would be the single most indicative criterion.

As for this thread here, the answer to the question in the original post is simple: Yes, some cities are more masculine than others, and some are more feminine. Some cities have decidedly skewed m:f or f:m ratios.

Old 03-13-2009, 10:01 PM

5,412 posts, read 7,706,871 times
Quote:

1 Nashville, Tenn.
2 Charlotte, N.C.
3 Oklahoma City, Okla.
4 Cincinnati, Ohio
5 Denver, Colo.

46 Chicago, Ill.
47Portland, Ore.
48 San Francisco, Calif.
49 Los Angeles, Calif.
50 New York, N.Y.
>>>>>
3 Oklahoma City, Okla.
<<<<<

I'm an OK City Boy myself. Good to know me and my male kin are still considered manly (mannish?...whatever).

Old 03-13-2009, 10:20 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,369,517 times
Quote:

1 Nashville, Tenn.
2 Charlotte, N.C.
3 Oklahoma City, Okla.
4 Cincinnati, Ohio
5 Denver, Colo.

46 Chicago, Ill.
47Portland, Ore.
48 San Francisco, Calif.
49 Los Angeles, Calif.
50 New York, N.Y.
Chicago seems quite manly to me, the 'City of Big Shoulders' or whatever. San Francisco and Portland do seem 'feminine', New York kind of both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or