U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 12:40 AM

1,694 posts, read 5,076,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
Except that the factors from the above study which were listed in the opening post did NOT include beer consumption. That was a serious oversight, as I would say that beer consumption would be the single most indicative criterion.

As for this thread here, the answer to the question in the original post is simple: Yes, some cities are more masculine than others, and some are more feminine. Some cities have decidedly skewed m:f or f:m ratios.
I know its just a given with sports bars and salty snacks of course there gonna hit the cheap american drafts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2009, 12:41 AM

2,317 posts, read 6,887,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmonder27 View Post
This is kinda odd to ask, but I think certain cities do tend to be more of the other

Savannah, GA to me- I cant help but say is definitely a more feminine city. Just the vibe of the place, and the the culture. Its almost overly refined. NYC- definitely masculine, as are cities in the Midwest.

Masculine doesnt necessarily have to mean blue collar though. DC would be a good example of a refined, yet masculine town.

What do y'all think? Could this be true?

Old 03-14-2009, 09:49 AM

2,779 posts, read 6,687,151 times
Houston is a manly city. With oil and refining industry, the urban cowboy story, yes it is! Of course Houston is much more, but it's a city a blue collar workin' man can be comfortable in. The burbs like Baytown, Texas City, etc. are built around shipping and refining, etc.

Old 03-14-2009, 09:51 AM

30,196 posts, read 67,344,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
And I'm not talking about the gay population, either.
LOL! If the "straight" male population in DC is that open-minded, then methinks my chance of landing a date when I move just got THAT much easier!

Old 03-14-2009, 09:52 AM

30,196 posts, read 67,344,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post

Old 03-14-2009, 11:17 AM

2,927 posts, read 7,574,929 times
New York City is not masculine enough for me.

Old 12-10-2010, 12:07 AM

26 posts, read 74,153 times
I think the west coast cities are more feminine, especially California, but the northwest is more masculine, the MOUNTAIN WEST is by far the most masculine part of the country to me. Colorado, Wyoming, Montana.. Guys out here are real rough necks. The mid-west is less masculine to me good old boys and girls, the south ahhh, not sure, some ways masculine, some ways feminine. The north east is masculine to me except northern New England. Funny topic.

Portland is full of Lesbians! that says it all..

Last edited by FelipeHayes; 12-10-2010 at 12:33 AM..

Old 12-10-2010, 12:23 AM

551 posts, read 996,748 times
I don't know about you but I think New York City is more feminine than masculine. Maybe old New York of the Pre-War days was more masculine as there were lots of factories and stuff but now I think NYC is feminine because when I think of high fashion and shows like Sex and the City make NYC look like it was the "place" to be for any woman especially with all the shopping and different clothes I have to think NYC is a woman's city first and foremost before a man's city. Women can go there and feel like they don't need a man in their life because it is a place where careers are made and probably a place where women's rights and power are held high in the minds of many New Yorkers.

LA is tough to define as masculine or feminine because it seems to have a lot of both. It also has high fashion and lots of strong woman like NYC does, but LA can definitely be masculine in that it has lots of highways and cars and perhaps a strong car based culture which is masculine. Being more suburban in nature makes it somewhat more masculine because many males love lawns rather than women who (in my opinion) like higher densities for the excitement they bring.

I definitely agree with you that places like Colorado are masculine in nature. Where there is a good amount of nature, you can expect it to be more masculine and it also is a very religious Christian place so I think it attract men more even though women seem more active in church. Men like the rough of nature and suburbs generally I think.

Old 12-10-2010, 12:29 AM

26 posts, read 74,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
Oh, so according to you, in general guys in Miami are fashion gurus? And thus Miami is "feminine?" Do you really not understand how ridiculous you sound?
I think as far as the South Beach minority croud, YES, very feminine, since it attracts gays from everywhere and vain Northerners. BUT.. The Majority, the vast majority of Miami is made up of Immigrants from Latin America and the Caribbean. These types of people are very old fashioned minded, gender roled and not very accepting of the "Beachy people". I was raised in South Florida and the stereotypes and gender roles were extremely important. God forbid my cousin went gay, oh Hell Naaaa.. (I'm even embarassed to say it anonymously) South Florida is Thug Central! T-shirts and jean shorts.. Not a very high fashioned manicured croud at all, unless you go to South Beach. South Floridians are very aggressive too, always breaking into fights, girl fights are constant, guys fight all the time, and dudes we grill eachother constantly, stare eachother down at every opportunity. Football is HUGE down there. When I moved away I had to adjust myself because I was picking fights without realising it.

Last edited by FelipeHayes; 12-10-2010 at 12:45 AM..

Old 12-10-2010, 12:53 AM

13,856 posts, read 22,964,539 times
Crawfordsville, Indiana has one of the few remaining men's colleges: Wabash College. However their population is apparently majority female.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Crawfo...e-Indiana.html

Jacksonville, North Carolina looks to be about 61% male, probably due to the military. Phoenix, Arizona looks to be the largest city with a male-majority.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Jackso...-Carolina.html
http://www.city-data.com/city/Phoenix-Arizona.html

I didn't find what had a high majority of women. Jackson, Tennessee look to have a fairly good majority of women, but I don't know.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Jackson-Tennessee.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or