U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 03:01 PM

8,900 posts, read 13,232,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
It's funny you mention the Turnpike signs. As soon as you enter Maine on I-95 from the South, there is a sign that says, "Maine Welcomes You" (It's on the bridge), then there is one that says, "Maine, Vacationland" and right after that there is one that says, "Maine, Worth a Visit, Worth a Lifetime." Right after that, they have one sign to tell you you're on the Maine Turnpike (established in 1946 or so), then right behind it another talking about the "award winning Maine Star Turnpike." So, within a one mile stretch, there are literally 5 massive signs essentially advertising their state (this doesn't include all the typical exit signs, tourist info signs, and "welcome center" signs).

You're right about hometown pride, it's not a bad thing... everyone should take pride in where they live. It just borders on extreme sometimes up here(hence the "self-congratulatory" nature of the place). It seems like everything takes a back seat to what's going on locally... be it something to do with locals arts, local business, local products, local people and even local news. It just has a very closed-off, provincial feel. Sheltered in short (which again, some people really want... just not me).

For instance, just last night the headline on the news wasn't how the economic stimulus passed, but how Maine Senator Susan Collins made some republican enemies (in Maine) by supporting the bill. It seems like priorities are skewed here. I personally don't care about Susan Collins involvement... I care about the stimulus. The stimulus program was mentioned in passing.

Another example that annoyed me to no end was last summer during the Olympics when Michael Phelps was going for gold, a Portland Press Herald (the largest local paper here) headline blatantly said, "Maine Swimmer is Last Chance at Beating Phelps." Now don't get me wrong, everyone should be proud of their local athletes (the article was about Ian Crocker, an Olympic Swimmer form Portland, ME), but Phelps' historical run was big for NATIONAL pride and everyone in this country should have been behind him. Instead, the Maine paper was hoping the local swimmer beat Phelps. I thought this was just wrong (hey, maybe it's just me). The priorities of the media and people seem skewed to an extreme degree at times.

In the end, the people are generally nice. It's a pretty place and I will certainly visit "Vacationland," but I can't wait to not live here anymore.

Yes!! Those are the signs I'm talking about, lol. I didn't remember what they said.

You're right about how they talk about local news a lot more. One of the classes I took was Education in the US. I'd say about 80% of the time the professor would be talking about the education in Maine. Only 2 of us in the class were from outside Maine. I couldn't contribute anything to the topic. And why were we talking about Maine in a US education class? lol

The people are very nice and it's a very nice place to visit. I really enjoy going there from time to time. But I hi-tailed it out of there because I couldn't stand the brutal winters, along with feeling so out of place (I was one of the 2 NYers who lived on campus. Most of them came from small towns in New England. Felt like I had nothing in common with anyone).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 06:39 PM

5,642 posts, read 7,966,090 times
I was born and raised in Manhattan. Do I like living in Naples Florida? Naples Where? Silly question.

Old 02-13-2009, 05:10 PM

4,934 posts, read 7,589,851 times
Oh Yeah!

Old 02-13-2009, 05:53 PM

5,642 posts, read 7,444,233 times
I've had a like/dislike thing going on with Tucson for 16 yrs.

I moved here from Austin back in late '92 - and I hated it. I experienced some of the best times in my life in Austin, but I needed to get grounded, I ended a relationship, and my immediate family had moved here prior, so I made the move. I've been back to Austin several times since, and it's still a fun town, but it's just not the same for me.

As time has passed, what I have found is that the people are what make Tucson a much better place than I ever imagined it to be. They seem to come here from all over the US, Mexico, and some other countries. Living in Tucson has taught me a lot about being tolerant of other people (I still have my moments), and the people here seem pretty easy-going. Whenever I travel, I often wished I lived "here or there", and I may be depressed a little when I return home, but give it a day or so and I realize why I still live here.

Tucson's mountains, sunsets, views, quirky establishments, unexpected weather, monsoons, proximity to other places I enjoy visiting, and its people and visitors (except for the snowbird drivers) are what make it likeable for me.

Love? Every place has its good and bad points. One thing is for sure, I've lived here longer than anywhere else in my life, so I do consider it home, even though my immediate family moved away from here over 10 years ago.

Old 02-14-2009, 10:35 AM

893 posts, read 2,517,916 times
I lived in Valley Stream, NY up onto 2 weeks ago. I hated it while living there. Always thought about the city and how I would love to live in the city. Or live in New Jersey. Or Arizona. Or SoCal. Or Denver. Basically I wanted to be anywhere but there.

Now I'm living in south east Queens and I don't hate it here. I actually like it. I feel more independent because there's more options for busing, and I'm to lazy to get a permit. At first I thought I was going to be killed or something, but the people here are nicer then people out on Long Island. But I also love the space Valley Stream offered.

Now in 6 months or so I will be going to college in either Albany, NY or Oneonta, NY. That will be the next chapter in my life, and hopefully its a good one. After college I hope to move to New York City, New Jersey, PA (my mom just moved there with my little brothers), SoCal, or Denver. Quite a list. Hopefully I end up somewhere I love.

Old 02-15-2009, 09:42 AM

27 posts, read 73,029 times
I really do love living in Denver, but I really don't want to live here forever. I just have too much nomad in my blood. Already starting to plan my next move.

Old 02-15-2009, 09:53 AM

11,878 posts, read 33,536,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Nope: Portland Maine.

It's a nice little town (when I say "little" i mean LITTLE at a whopping 63,000 people- expected to drop as of the most recent census), but just way too small for me. Nothing about it feels like a city, you get to know most people (can't go anywhere, even "accross town" without bumping into people you know) quickly and see them everywhere. A car is really a must as public transit is next to none, there's no density... it turns into an old residential suburb immediately outside of the tiny (but quaint and nice) downtown, there are no real urban amenities (nightlife is next to nil, dining is overrated to exponential proportions, arts and culture are mediocre but probably standard for a town this size), and there's a real provincial/ small town mentality (everything is "Buy Local!" "Support our Farmers" "Maine this, Maine that"- it's self congratulatory and annoying most of the time). I'm all for supporting local economy, but it's as if this place is isolated from the rest of the nation.

It's got next to no crime, it's pretty, the people are friendly, but it's just way too isolated and tiny for me and a BIT self congratulatory. While this may sound perfect to some, I'd like to be back in a real metro area and live in an urban environment... Portland doesn't have it. I'll be out soon enough.
Let's house swap; I'd love to live in Portland, Maine. I like how you say “Ya can’t get the-ah from he-ah.”

Old 02-16-2009, 03:29 PM

1 posts, read 1,115 times
Default Yuck

Gatta say, I HATE Colorado! Moved here a year ago from the west coast and can't wait to move back. Colorado is brown, brown, brown. No water...anywhere, except for scattered reservoirs that are so filthy I wouldn't let my dog drink out of them. NO trees, no color (as well as) diversity. When the wind is blowing from a certain direction you smell cow, pigs and chickens . Everything is way overpriced, people are not friendly, road rage everywhere and too many SUV's, trucks and Hummers........who are you people??? .

Once a west coast-er, always a west coast-er.

Old 02-17-2009, 12:20 AM

2,317 posts, read 6,884,577 times
I live in/love Portland, Oregon! I'm unfortunately having to make a move back to Southern Oregon and will be moving to Eugene soon, and hopefully I'll love Eugene as much as Portland... But I'll be back to Stumptown someday.

Old 02-17-2009, 09:54 AM

6,967 posts, read 18,204,831 times
not really, i'd much rather be 90 miles northeast

but philly's cool and i still go up as often as i can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or