U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 05:41 PM

788 posts, read 3,771,420 times

Advertisements

Yep...I was born in the central valley of CA. I should have been born on the coast or an island. Something in me yearns to be near the sea...although I wouldn't mind exploring land locked states for temorary living situations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2009, 05:50 PM

5,656 posts, read 7,458,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilred0005 View Post
Yes!!!! I have always felt out of place in South Florida and can't wait to leave. I felt a real connection to Boston. I have traveled all over the world but I have never felt about anyother place like I do Boston. It's actually kinda strange lol but I feel like I just belong there. The first time I visited, I went off on my own like I just knew the place. I have taken the T from Harvard Square to far out on the Blue Line at 11:00 at night and felt(maybe foolishly) totally safe. I cry when I leave to come back to Florida and I hope to be relocating to New England in the next year. I just do not fit in here in Fl. I never have. Take care everybody!
It sounds like you really belong in Boston.

Old 02-11-2009, 05:55 PM

129 posts, read 442,137 times
Yeah I was totally born in the wrong place for me. I've been searching for my ideal place lately. ANd I'm pretty sure I found it. Being born and growing up in Seattle it felt off for me. Like I always had the feeling of wanting more than just that.

Old 02-11-2009, 08:21 PM

12,084 posts, read 34,184,022 times
When I was younger I thought I was born in the wrong area, but after moving around to different parts of the Country, it came to me I had left the place that fit the best. So when young, yes I did; now that I am older and back in my hometown, no I don't I know I was born in the perfect place for me.

Old 02-11-2009, 08:39 PM

11,897 posts, read 32,942,782 times
I was born in Florida and never really liked it. Even though most of my relatives are still in Florida, it just doesn't feel like home.

There are lots of places that I like more than Florida, but my heart is on the beautifully rugged Cumberland Plateau here in Tennessee.

Old 02-11-2009, 08:59 PM

1,779 posts, read 3,488,428 times
Well....I'm a special case...my parents received a half-year "special transfer assignement". I was born in a state where they were only assigned for half a year.... Michigan....and I spent the rest of my youth in Texas.

I only lived in MI for half a year, and spent the rest of the time in TX (18 years)....until I came to FL... but becasue the certificate says MI.... to many Texans, that means I'm not a Texan. All my family is in TX, I lived there for 18 years, I have quite a Southern accent....but to some Texans you have to be born there to be considered a Texan. I certainly don't consider mysefl to be from MI, I don't even remember living there at all.....

Old 02-11-2009, 09:58 PM

2,418 posts, read 4,198,357 times
Yeah, I was born in the one-time capital of the Confederacy, Richmond, VA. The fake aristocratic airs that people put on there, in addition to their being absolutely obsessed with "Southern Heritage", led me to vow escape at an early age. Like a complete idiot, I moved to Atlanta (bye bye frying pan, hello fire) and corrected that mistake after 2 years of planning. Hello, San Francisco! I got priced out of there after 4 years, which was long enough to OD on smugness. In another frying pan/fire moment, I fled to Seattle. Five years later, I was back in RVA, licking my wounds and looking for the perfect place to live, the city where I should have been born. I found it, right under my nose, or more accurately, 6 hours due northwest, on the right (as in correct) side of the Mason-Dixon line. The Armory of the Union. Pittsburgh town, city I love.

Old 02-11-2009, 10:12 PM

1,694 posts, read 5,079,511 times
No suh..the Bay Area made me the man I am today.
Born in Vallejo raised in Hunters Point,Ca no neighborhood in the US scares me but growing up in SF also gave me a sense of refinement and a wealthy taste.

Old 02-11-2009, 10:23 PM

2,418 posts, read 4,198,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden-mind-State View Post
No suh..the Bay Area made me the man I am today.
Born in Vallejo raised in Hunters Point,Ca no neighborhood in the US scares me but growing up in SF also gave me a sense of refinement and a wealthy taste.

Born in Vallejo and raised in Hunters Point?! Why would any neighborhood scare you?

Hats off to you, you're from the streets!

Old 02-11-2009, 10:23 PM

293 posts, read 768,944 times
I grew up in a small industrial town in mid-Michigan near Flint and I always felt like I belonged in a bigger city. Even from age 10 or so, when my family would travel I would get really excited when we'd go through big cities. I lived in Chicago briefly when I was 18 and moved to Dallas/Fort Worth a couple years later, and both suited me much better than my small hometown. Dallas suited me very well climate-wise because I never liked Michigan winters, and now that I'm back in Michigan I have an even harder time tolerating the cold. Despite the fact that Fort Worth has over 600,000 people it actually feels like a small town to me (but in a good way, not a suffocating way like the current town of 55,000 that I live in!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or