U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 02:45 PM

1,191 posts, read 2,229,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepsinc View Post
PLEASE stop with the Southern stereotypes! You're not even from the South, I'm embarrassed for you.

YES, you can get sweet tea anywhere. You take one glass of tea and add sugar. Pitts-burgh...I get it. Funny, and it's never been done before.

Once again, ever been? Because if not, it's sort of ignorant to put a place down without knowing much about it.
Richmond isn't the South? Looking on the map it seems to me. And anyways, thats just an example. And sweet tea is brewed with sugar in it.

Oh, well. Have fun in Pitts-burg! Maybe Ill visit one day. Any good places to stay?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 02:46 PM

2,405 posts, read 2,915,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I don't how that picture looks like living heck. The Golden Triangle doesn't look bad to me. PGH looks more interesting than the pic you showed of Richmond.

All I had were skyline photos. People are usually surprised to even see what Pittsburgh looks like, thanks to perceptions that have been outdated for at least 50 years, much like Richmond.

Here's some Pittsburgh architecture:

Pittsburgh PICS

Here's some excellent Pittsburgh photos:

http://www.pittsburghskyline.com/

Old 02-12-2009, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmonder27 View Post
Richmond isn't the South? Looking on the map it seems to me. And anyways, thats just an example. And sweet tea is brewed with sugar in it.

Oh, well. Have fun in Pitts-burg! Maybe Ill visit one day. Any good places to stay?

You're not from Richmond. You said so yourself, and in that town, that little fact definitely matters. In their eyes, you'll always be a "come here". And most people know (especially in Wretchmond....see how clever I am?) that Northern VA is not the South.

Old 02-12-2009, 02:49 PM

Quote:
All I had were skyline photos. People are usually surprised to even see what Pittsburgh looks like, thanks to perceptions that have been outdated for at least 50 years, much like Richmond.

Here's some Pittsburgh architecture:

Pittsburgh PICS
A lot of those fail to impress me. Again, can you not say anything positive aboot Richmond at all?

There is nothing at all like The Fan. Nowhere in the country, really. And Carytown, not to mention Shockoe Slip. Maymont Park- now thats a site!
Richmond has a lot of great museums, restaurants, and stunning archtitecture. I have yet to see that about Pitts-burg

Old 02-12-2009, 02:50 PM

Quote:
You're not from Richmond. You said so yourself, and in that town, that little fact definitely matters. In their eyes, you'll always be a "come here". And most people know (especially in Wretchmond....see how clever I am?) that Northern VA is not the South.
So Lee's Army of Northern Virginia that protected Richmond for 4 years- they were not Southerners? Ill tell you one thing, Northern Virginia is more Southern than Pittsburg.

BTW I wasnt born in Richmond, but I have lived here since I was 18 years old.

Old 02-12-2009, 02:57 PM

Quote:
A lot of those fail to impress me. Again, can you not say anything positive aboot Richmond at all?

There is nothing at all like The Fan. Nowhere in the country, really. And Carytown, not to mention Shockoe Slip. Maymont Park- now thats a site!
Richmond has a lot of great museums, restaurants, and stunning archtitecture. I have yet to see that about Pitts-burg

I have plenty good to say about Richmond. I was conceived in the Fan. It's not totally unique, I'm afraid, but it's still one of my favorite neighborhoods anywhere. Carytown is absolutely nothing special, and if you think it is, you desperately need to travel outside VA. Maymont is wonderful. I practically grew up there.

Yeah, Pittsburgh (seriously, learn how to spell a place you've never been before you feebly attempt to put it down) has crap museums (the Carnegies, including the Andy Warhol...read up on the Carnegie International, possibly the premiere art event in the US), bad architecture (Henry Richardson especially sucks ), and no good restaurants (Eastern European...is that even a cuisine?). You're out of your league here, but keep it up, it's fun.

Old 02-12-2009, 02:59 PM

Quote:
I have plenty good to say about Richmond. I was conceived in the Fan. It's not totally unique, I'm afraid, but it's still one of my favorite neighborhoods anywhere. Carytown is absolutely nothing special, and if you think it is, you desperately need to travel outside VA. Maymont is wonderful. I practically grew up there.

Yeah, Pittsburgh (seriously, learn how to spell a place you've never been before you feebly attempt to put it down) has crap museums (the Carnegies, including the Andy Warhol...read up on the Carnegie International, possibly the premiere art event in the US), bad architecture (Henry Richardson especially sucks ), and no good restaurants (Eastern European...is that even a cuisine?). You're out of your league here, but keep it up, it's fun.
Im not trying to be rude (that would be very Un-Richmond), but you seem kinda bitter. What is so bad about RVA? I think it does have its faults and its not perfect, but compared to a lot of places its just great. And The Fan- that is very unique. Very few cities have neighborhoods as beautiful or as well preseved at that

And you know what? The same "slow to change" Richmmond is what is responsible for that! Its because Richmond values its history that we have rows of Victorian Gems like that, and great neighborhoods, and museums, and architecture.

You really need to come back to RVA and learn to appreciate it.

I will try to visit Pitts-burg some time. Do they have as good a live music scene as Richmond? I doubt it.

Old 02-12-2009, 03:04 PM

1,578 posts, read 3,662,130 times
It's a sad story how my mother got situated in Newark but I'm not going into any details. I was the first in my family to be born in NJ. The rest of my family was born in NYC before hand. And as a child I'd be with older family and they'd talk about times they had in The Bronx on their block, corner, or whatever. They all could relate with each other and have a good talk while my childhood stories didn't have any relation with them even though i was a hop skip and a jump from nyc. I did feel like i would rather be born in NYC as a kid/teen but now my perspective has changed.
As a kid i grew up during some of the roughest times in Newark's crime (80s-90s). I always went to a public school, and i felt a minority everywhere i went. I made great friends though, and had a great sense of urban life. My sister is 2 years older than me but was born in NYC while raised Newark. We had good times in the city, of coarse we saw a lot more crime than most NJ cities but it's all an experience i guess.

This got me to realize that wow, I'm from Newark. Known as one of the roughest places and i made it and loved it. Now i can talk about Newark times with my sister and old friends while my younger brother (16 years younger) who was born in Hackensack feels the same way i did when i listened to my older family talk about NYC old times.

Old 02-12-2009, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Im not trying to be rude (that would be very Un-Richmond), but you seem kinda bitter. What is so bad about RVA? I think it does have its faults and its not perfect, but compared to a lot of places its just great. And The Fan- that is very unique. Very few cities have neighborhoods as beautiful or as well preseved at that

And you know what? The same "slow to change" Richmmond is what is responsible for that! Its because Richmond values its history that we have rows of Victorian Gems like that, and great neighborhoods, and museums, and architecture.

You really need to come back to RVA and learn to appreciate it.

I will try to visit Pitts-burg some time. Do they have as good a live music scene as Richmond? I doubt it.
I listed things I love about Richmond. I go back at least twice a year. Most cities that have history value it..that's nothing unique. The city provoked protests in the 1990s for daring to put a statue of Arthur Ashe on Monument Ave. I'm not bitter for wanting to get away from that mentality. Slow to change, sure, but does that have to extend to protesting a statue of Abraham Lincoln? Were you there for any of those things? I was.

Name a truly great world-class museum in Richmond. The VA Museum is OK. So is the Science Museum. They're both blown away by museums in every city I've lived in, even Atlanta. I didn't come here to put Richmond down, I mentioned it in my initial post and listed one or two of the reasons I left. The rest of the time I've been defending my wonderful adopted hometown against immature, ill-informed attacks. I'm sure anybody reading this thread would agree.

Old 02-12-2009, 03:11 PM

2,899 posts, read 1,223,171 times
Quote:
Actually, Richmond is more in the central part of Virginia, not Northern but anyways...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.