U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 09:27 PM

6,749 posts, read 19,957,210 times

Advertisements

Dang it they didn't all load

here's more from Flickr, The Highlands: Statue of General Castleman

Old Louisville again from flickr:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/193/4...20d0e5.jpg?v=0

I'll quit now. Richmonder, care to say that again LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2009, 07:02 AM

6,749 posts, read 19,957,210 times
General Castleman didn't load so here ya go: http://www.wiserdesigns.com/images/a-2_castleman_status.jpg (broken link)

Confederate monument:http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/0/07/Lou_Confed_South.jpg/400px- (broken link)

Old 02-13-2009, 03:54 PM

2,418 posts, read 4,197,500 times
I always liked Louisville to drive through. I might have to take a closer look now.

Old 02-13-2009, 06:59 PM

1,191 posts, read 3,237,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizEdCoach View Post
I'm afraid it does...education and travel, along with exposure to different people/cultures, will lessen any kind of accent. Please don't predict what my accent sounds like...there is absolutely no way for you to know that information by reading words on a screen.

You seem very confrontational with every person you encounter on this site. Are you just constantly looking for an argument?
Im not trying to be confrontational.

Im just saying that improper English and bad grammar are not the same as a local accent. The accent has nothing to do with education.

EVERYONE has an accent.

Grammar and improper English is one thing. But accent is not.

Some of the most Aristocratic English is spoken in the South!

Old 02-15-2009, 10:34 AM

6,973 posts, read 12,494,406 times
No I don't feel like I was born in the wrong place which was Cambridge, Mass. I was raised in Massachusetts. I am finding though wherever else I have been or lived in the USA, I do feel I am in the wrong place. I am finding when I am beyond New England and some other areas of the northeast I feel out of place. When out of those Northeastern areas I do not relate to the USA much at all. I find I would actually relate more to several of the European countries I have lived in and or visited than much of the USA. Its a strange feeling but I can understand how it can happen, especially with how radically different this country can be from one region to another. One of my criterias as to where I will retire in the USA, is where there is a substantial population of transplanted people from the Northeast and elsewhere. So it will be the east coast most likely somewhere in Florida.

Old 02-15-2009, 11:07 AM

15,989 posts, read 30,691,036 times
I use to feel like I was born in the wrong city....Waco,TX and belonged in Houston,tx. I than moved here to Houston for college and now looking back on the good ole times, Waco was a pretty fun city. Heart O Texas Fair, being almost kidnapped by the ice cream man, waking up early sunday mornings to attend CHURCH!, Being the token black kid in my hood, all the tornado warnings, getting a switch from the tree (always picked the wrong one!) hiking in cameron park, all the fights at the park, playing football in the street,etc.

I really miss those things now.

Old 02-15-2009, 04:10 PM

631 posts, read 1,971,003 times
I would've loved to have grown up in Miami. But, New York is amazing, so I really can't complain.

Old 02-16-2009, 01:49 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,425,780 times
No, I was born in the perfect place for me, which is Connecticut.

Old 02-16-2009, 12:27 PM

48,235 posts, read 45,519,102 times
I loved living in Pacific Northwest. The nice summers, the cooler climate, being near the coast, I have many memories of living there.

Old 02-16-2009, 12:36 PM

19 posts, read 52,093 times
All the freakin' time. For whatever reason, my parents decided that taking a cruise in the 8th month of pregnancy was a good idea. I've always thought being born in Cozumel was a mistake. Often I am confused as an illegal alien simply because of my Mexican citizenship... even though my parents are from Tulsa. To help clarify I even got a tattoo on my rear section that looks like a clothing label saying "Made in the USA".... but people still address me with "hola."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or