U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 06:25 PM

2,303 posts, read 5,169,207 times

Advertisements

I do feel like I was born in the wrong place. I'm from a small town in South Carolina with very conservative values and I just don't think that they rubbed off on me. Not hating on anyone at all, but I just never quite fit in. I've always been drawn to larger cities. I love hot weather, so I feel that I should've been born/raised in the Phoenix or Las Vegas areas. However, I love the diversity of Washington, DC, so I would have gladly traded with you, Richmonder I've never been to New England, but I've always felt drawn to Massachusetts. I heard that people from MA were some of the rudest, coldest, and most blunt people in the country, but I've met nothing but good people from all parts of MA. I can't stand cold weather, but I LOVE the MA accents! Maybe that's where I should have been born, lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2009, 08:49 PM

56,500 posts, read 80,803,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I use to feel like I was born in the wrong city....Waco,TX and belonged in Houston,tx. I than moved here to Houston for college and now looking back on the good ole times, Waco was a pretty fun city. Heart O Texas Fair, being almost kidnapped by the ice cream man, waking up early sunday mornings to attend CHURCH!, Being the token black kid in my hood, all the tornado warnings, getting a switch from the tree (always picked the wrong one!) hiking in cameron park, all the fights at the park, playing football in the street,etc.

I really miss those things now.
Dang, I can relate to a lot of that. As for being born in the wrong place, I did when I was younger. I thought that a city like Pittsburgh or Toronto fit me more. I don't know why, but there was something about those cities.

I liked going "down South" every summer as a kid too. Most of the time it was to the Carolinas or occasionally Florida or some other southern state. I will say that Florida has never did anything for me, but it could have been where we were in Florida too.

Old 02-18-2009, 01:47 PM

1,191 posts, read 3,234,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBrakeforTailgaters View Post
I do feel like I was born in the wrong place. I'm from a small town in South Carolina with very conservative values and I just don't think that they rubbed off on me. Not hating on anyone at all, but I just never quite fit in. I've always been drawn to larger cities. I love hot weather, so I feel that I should've been born/raised in the Phoenix or Las Vegas areas. However, I love the diversity of Washington, DC, so I would have gladly traded with you, Richmonder I've never been to New England, but I've always felt drawn to Massachusetts. I heard that people from MA were some of the rudest, coldest, and most blunt people in the country, but I've met nothing but good people from all parts of MA. I can't stand cold weather, but I LOVE the MA accents! Maybe that's where I should have been born, lol
Thats nice. But I didnt grow up in DC. I grew up in VIRGINIA. Which is not DC, lol. In fact, though we were less than 50 miles from DC, I hardly ever went there for any reason. When people said I was from DC, I was like "I am"? But thats in Maryland!

Old 02-18-2009, 01:51 PM

3,398 posts, read 7,142,172 times
I cant say Ive ever felt that way. I was put exactly where the Lord wanted me (maybe thats why I havent traveled outside of it?)...and I fit in just fine.

Old 02-18-2009, 03:40 PM

1,653 posts, read 5,158,739 times
I've always had a stong pull to San Francisco. When I was a kid, I would watch movies based there just for the shots of the city. I'm going to school out there this fall, so I guess I'll find out if I'm meant to be there or not. I do like where I'm from though, and I don't think that'll ever change.

Old 04-12-2011, 11:39 PM

1 posts, read 4,344 times
I do!!! But I feel like I should have been born in the Carribeans!!! I desperatly want to move to the V.I's. The culture just a totally different way of life!!! I'm from Cincinnati,OH... It's home but it doesn't feel that way!

Old 04-13-2011, 04:39 AM

9,745 posts, read 14,175,460 times
Wow, old thread. But yes, I definitely feel like I was born in the wrong place. A lot of it has to do with my weather preferences, but there a million other things as well. All the things my friends, family, and coworkers love about living here are the exact things I hate. I don't fit in at all, and I always have the unusual sensation of being a stranger in a strange town, yet knowing lots of people here. The only person I can really have any sort of meaningful conversation with is my brother, and he's in the same boat as me.

Old 04-13-2011, 06:27 PM

5,530 posts, read 10,132,870 times
Sometimes. I just feel like I belong in a bigger, more "in your face" city, with more brash personalities. That's where I tend to thrive. I'm not talking rude, just more brash. Minnesotans in general are quieter, more passive-aggressive and don't "shoot $hit" the way I sometimes like (although some do).

Old 04-13-2011, 06:47 PM

12,172 posts, read 15,446,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmonder27 View Post
I do ! I grew up in Northern Virginia, and while technically its the South, the area is no longer very Southern at all, and I always felt I wished I had grown up in at least Richmond or somewhere further South.

Growing up, I always felt so much more Southern than those around me. I loved sweet tea (my mother put it in my forumla as a baby!), and fried okra, grits, collard greens, and of course spoonbread.

I love Loudoun County, but its soooo transient! Everyone doesn't say hello very much these days. I always almost felt like I was a Deep South person livin' in border town ! I have a very strong Southern drawl, and most people even from the Deep South ask me where I get it.

Mostly its from my older relatives in Tidewater Virginia. But anyways, I felt like a fish out of water in transient, plastic, Northern Virginia. I wished I had been born in the 1800s in the Deep South!
This sounds like a trick question for Obama. I was born in Brooklyn NY, but I always felt I belonged in a laid-back California sea side town.

Old 04-13-2011, 07:30 PM

780 posts, read 1,486,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmonder27 View Post
I wished I had been born in the 1800s in the Deep South!
Not if you're black, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or