Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2010, 05:14 PM

4 posts, read 7,976 times

Advertisements

I am a 21-year old student at Boise State University. I want to begin doing a preliminary survey of cities here to make a good decision.

I have lived in Idaho for a long time, Montana for 9 years, and want to find a more urban, liberal, and progressive place than Boise.

I am currently majoring in History, minor in Japanese, History Teaching qualification, who is hoping to get an Masters of Library Science degree, and become a librarian in one of the bigger cities here in the Northwest.

Mass Transit is a key, since I cannot drive. I would like to find somewhere where I could get on a bus/light rail late at night.

I have Asperger Syndrome, so I would like to find a city where there are a lot of Aspies. I am a Japanese-American, and would like to find a city where there is a lot of Japanese food/culture. I would like to find a good Buddhist temple, and a place where the people are tolerant of those of other religions.

Since I am a big nerd, I would like to find a city with a lot of Anime/Manga/Video Game/Science Fiction fans would be nice. I also would like to find people to discuss books with.

Here is a list of my preliminary cities, all obvious.

Seattle (big city, progressive-liberal, technological, nerdy, but high cost of living and mass transit seems questionable)

Portland (smaller than Seattle, but still fairly big, less technological than Seattle, liberal (large hippie population), cost of living lower?, good mass transit, social problems)

Vancouver, BC (about the same size as Seattle, not sure about countercultural or nerdy scene, mass transit?, cost of living?, immigration requirements (if I move to BC, I would like to get Canadian citizenship), proximity to large anime conventions such as Sakura-con, etc.

Last edited by extremeotaku19; 02-14-2010 at 05:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.