Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 06:50 AM

428 posts, read 2,434,622 times

Advertisements

Visited my parents in Phoenix last April and practically lived outside on their patio, ate every dinner outside. No flies, no bees, no mosquitoes or gnats. It's too dry for them to ever survive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2007, 10:32 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,093,806 times

There ARE flies in Phoenix, and not only do they have TONS of bees, but they have a very large population of Africanized bees (aka "killer bees").

Old 03-18-2007, 12:11 AM

4,279 posts, read 10,337,096 times
I would say the Wisconsin, Minnesota area has the least amount of pests.

Old 03-18-2007, 03:54 PM

428 posts, read 2,434,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post

There ARE flies in Phoenix, and not only do they have TONS of bees, but they have a very large population of Africanized bees (aka "killer bees").
I'll have to look harder for them next time I visit.

Old 03-18-2007, 04:46 PM

240 posts, read 1,281,322 times
Default Define "pests"

In my mind, "pests" are bugs or rodents that do damage to one's property and especially one's home. There is no place without bugs, and that's as it should be (although personally, I'd happily live without them).

NYC has horrible pests that infest one's home and spread disease (cockroaches, rats). I've seen maybe five cockroaches since leaving NYC in '73 and those were in/near restaurants in SF, CA. My experience living in the Bay Area (SF city, Marin County, Contra Costa county) was that there weren't that many bugs and I never had an infestation of anything. Lots of nice bugs too... beautiful butterflies and lots of honey bees.

Spiders, in my mind, do not qualify as pests because they feed on other bugs. Black widows and brown recluse spiders are another story, of course. We had a lot of black widows in SoCal (San Diego county) and probably brown recluse too though never saw one. In fact, the area I lived in down there (Jamul, about 2000 feet above sea level, mostly oak and brush) had more insects and rodents to last me a few life times: spiders of all sorts, tarantulas, scorpions, something called the "kissing bug" which was a beetle that was basically a large bedbug and whose bite gave me welts and sent another person to the ER via helicopter! We had rats and mice and ground squirrels that left our 10-acres pockmarked with ankle-twisting holes. Biting red ants and wasps 1/2 foot long. Not many mosquitos though, since it was so arid. For me, however, the area was a living nightmare! Just for that reason alone I'd never live there again, although I have a good dozen other reasons not to, as well.

San Clemente wasn't too bad... except for Argentine ants. EVERYWHERE! That town --I think all of SoCal-- is basically one large colony of black ants and there is no way of eliminating them. You control them, if you're lucky.

Here along the coast of Southern Oregon, my home is basically bug free. I recently saw a couple of silver fish which is worrisome (I have 2500-book library), but I've never lived anywhere that has been totally free of those things. Lots of spiders too, but less now that I've been dusting the crawl space. Fleas, of course... but those are very controllable.

Unfortunately, the use of chemicals/pesticides to rid our environment of so-called 'pests' is hurting us more than the pests themselves would hurt us if left alone or dealt with on a bug-by-bug basis.

Old 03-18-2007, 04:48 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,147,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
The midwest has bugs, as does every place else, but none of ours are deadly.
The ticks in the midwest and the northeast carry Lyme Disease.

Old 10-09-2009, 10:26 PM

482 posts, read 894,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by furyu View Post
Black widows and brown recluse spiders are another story, of course. We had a lot of black widows in SoCal (San Diego county) and probably brown recluse too though never saw one.

I think all of SoCal-- is basically one large colony of black ants and there is no way of eliminating them. .
Have to agree...SO Cal has a MAJOR ANT problem, and when it heats up here in the Inland Empire, lots of wasps and yes, I've seen many black widow spiders. BUT NO MOSQUITOS LOTS OF LIZARDS!

Old 10-10-2009, 03:39 PM

1,301 posts, read 3,557,933 times
Upstate NY hasn't got any real pests although Lyme Disease carrying ticks seem to be on the rise.

In late spring and early summer there are tent caterpillars which can get disgusting if you are in an area with a large infestation. They fall out of trees, poop on everything, and climb on everything. Then in June they turn into moths and go away.

Old 10-10-2009, 05:07 PM

398 posts, read 1,312,345 times
I am from Oregon and I can tell you that it is not pest-free by any means (as others have also pointed out)!

The wetter NW corner/Willamette Valley has a ****TON**** of spiders, including the poisonous Brown Recluse or "Brown Fiddle" as we called them. There are also a lot of silverfish, earwigs (or "pincher bugs"), spidermites, ants (including carpenter ants), wasps, etc. and slugs of all shapes and sizes - including the great Banana Slug which are sometimes as big as bananas. Now slugs aren't bugs but they are definitely "pests" to gardeners! I have lived and worked in a few older buildings in Portland that also had roaches - granted, not the same size or nearly the same scale that you will find in larger and older cities like NYC or warmer climates like SoCal, but impossible to totally get rid of nevertheless.

East of the Cascades in Oregon has rattlesnakes. Southern Oregon has Black Widows. I lived in Ashland and had them ALL OVER my apartment - outside, not inside, luckily! They also get swarms of praying mantises (as witnessed twice by me when I lived there). Also many box-elder bugs in Ashland.

So, the Pacific NW is not "pest-free" by any means. In fact, I'd say that where I live right now in SW Ohio is the most bug and pest-free place I've ever lived or visited.

Old 10-11-2009, 03:21 AM

48,505 posts, read 96,476,720 times
I;ve always found that the ural area have natural pest problems and the rban more like rats etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.