U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Family of nine moving from England to United States ,seeking information on Eastern cities with; suburbs close to big cities, quality school districts, nice downtown area, family activities

Old 02-12-2009, 06:50 AM

2 posts, read 2,936 times

Advertisements

My hubby and I currently live in England and we're sick of the miserable weather and lack of amenities for our kids (we have 7 between us aged: 17, 15, 14, 9, 5, 2yr old twins). We've been looking more and more into a move to the US. My husband has already started applying for jobs in the Northeast but neither one of us is 100% sure where we'd like to live.

We're pretty open to ideas/suggestions in all states but we do have a list of requirements:

1. Suburb or small-town close to big city with a feeling of community. (We'll have $750,000 to $825k depending on what our house sells for) Large house pref traditional on good sized lot.

2. Good schools with lots to offer in regards to extra-curricular activies and good academically.

3. Would love a nice down-town area with parks, shops, restaurants etc and activities for all of the kids.

4. We would love somewhere coastal but would consider in-land near a lake and we'd love somewhere with 4 seasons but would also consider towns in California, Florida etc (Also we don't mind snowy winters as long as the summers are good).

That's it really, hope you can all help and TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 08:08 AM

4,308 posts, read 11,856,579 times
Well, firstly I would make sure you CAN move to the US. Either you have so much money that the immigration service will allow you to immigrate without hassle OR you will either need to find an employer willing to sponsor at least one of you for a work visa that allows the rest of the family to come along OR you need to have relatives that are US citizens that may be able to sponsor you. If you're looking for work in the US in this economy you will need skills that are in short demand here such as healthcare-related, then find an area of the country that is still hiring AND willing to interview people currently living 3000 miles away.

Old 02-12-2009, 08:11 AM

7,079 posts, read 34,641,149 times
Ditto to what was stated in the post above. And remember, health care here is COSTLY and not covered by the government. You're going to either have to get health insurance or pay out of pocket. And insurance isn't cheap, either, even through an employer.

Old 02-12-2009, 08:40 AM

23,126 posts, read 35,290,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lise1980 View Post
My hubby and I currently live in England and we're sick of the miserable weather and lack of amenities for our kids (we have 7 between us aged: 17, 15, 14, 9, 5, 2yr old twins). We've been looking more and more into a move to the US. My husband has already started applying for jobs in the Northeast but neither one of us is 100% sure where we'd like to live.

We're pretty open to ideas/suggestions in all states but we do have a list of requirements:

1. Suburb or small-town close to big city with a feeling of community. (We'll have $750,000 to $825k depending on what our house sells for) Large house pref traditional on good sized lot.

2. Good schools with lots to offer in regards to extra-curricular activies and good academically.

3. Would love a nice down-town area with parks, shops, restaurants etc and activities for all of the kids.

4. We would love somewhere coastal but would consider in-land near a lake and we'd love somewhere with 4 seasons but would also consider towns in California, Florida etc (Also we don't mind snowy winters as long as the summers are good).

That's it really, hope you can all help and TIA
My hometown of Decatur, GA would fit your bill.

- Six miles from downtown Atlanta
- Great school system
- vibrant downtown area
- very family-oriented; lots of busy parks and playgrounds
- great weather
- close to lakes and mountains
- house prices roughly 400-1.000k

www.decaturga.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or