Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 02:33 PM

1,192 posts, read 3,693,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
I dunno. It seems like the more educated & affluent a place is, the less Southern it feels. Maybe as the South becomes from educated and wealthy it will become less Southern. Im not trying to knock Southern culture or anything. I've lived here my whole life. But it's just something i've noticed. The "old-money" neighborhoods of Memphis are full of people who live and grew up here, but they dont seem very Southern to me.

That doesnt seem true to me at all. Class has nothing to do with it. I meet many blue collar Northerners who lack education and they sure aren't Southern!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 02:38 PM

149 posts, read 411,628 times
I'm from East Tennessee and the majority of the people I know including myself still say yall and aint, although the use of aint is starting to diminish somewhat. I'm 19 and our school was pretty diverse and integrated, and most of us still use alot of southern terms. Another example is a tobaggon; a tobaggon is a hat down here, not a sled. The amount of people with good ol' southern hospitality and manners is starting to dwindle too, as many people choose to move to the Tri-Cities (Johnson City, Kingsport, Bristol) due to low cost of living, no state income tax, stable economy and housing market, and easy access to a plethora of outdoor activities.

Old 02-12-2009, 03:12 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,908,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmonder27 View Post
That might be true. But where in Boston can you find a restaurant that serves sweet tea on the menu? How many Country Music stations does Boston have? How much Gospel? How may people have you come across that say "Y'all? In the South lots of people are saying "you guys" now.

I suppose its all relative. But it seems like nowhere in the North has experienced any Southern influx. Except maybe Baltimore- which really isn't that far North.
You can find all these things in Boston--well, except for lots of people who say "y'all"--as well as Cajun cuisine, soul food, and NC-style barbecue. No, you will not have the sense that the city has been taken over by Southerners, or by those from any other region outside New England. If you get much more of a sense that Southern cities have had their traditional culture watered down, this most likely has to do with the larger number of transplants moving north to south than in the other direction. Many Southern cities are getting a heavy influx of transplants, who water down the local culture.

By the way, I'll add jazz and blues to country as examples of musical genres that originated in the South but have long since gone mainstream. For that matter, you could include rock/rock 'n' roll, being that rock 'n' roll originally drew elements from country, jazz, and blues, and threw them together to form a distinct new genre.

Old 02-12-2009, 03:17 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,074,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBradley View Post
I'm from East Tennessee and the majority of the people I know including myself still say yall and aint, although the use of aint is starting to diminish somewhat. I'm 19 and our school was pretty diverse and integrated, and most of us still use alot of southern terms. Another example is a tobaggon; a tobaggon is a hat down here, not a sled. The amount of people with good ol' southern hospitality and manners is starting to dwindle too, as many people choose to move to the Tri-Cities (Johnson City, Kingsport, Bristol) due to low cost of living, no state income tax, stable economy and housing market, and easy access to a plethora of outdoor activities.
A toboggan is a hat here too, I didn't know that it wasn't everywhere until I ran into a woman from Ohio at the zoo looking for a hat and I said, Oh, you mean like a toboggan? She looked at me like I had three heads lol

Old 02-12-2009, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
A toboggan is a hat here too, I didn't know that it wasn't everywhere until I ran into a woman from Ohio at the zoo looking for a hat and I said, Oh, you mean like a toboggan? She looked at me like I had three heads lol
Ive never heard of Tobaggon for hat. I do notice that in the North "you guys" can mean male or female. Something that is spreading down here.

Also people in the North seem to think a coke is a "soda".

To me a soda is something you bake with!. LOL.

Old 02-12-2009, 03:31 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,926,305 times
Interesting to read some of these responses. I guess it's because many northerners can't afford the north anymore and move to the south.

This is kind of like NYC in a way. I would say a good amount of NYC are transplants. Once the natives reach a certain age, they move to the suburbs. Most people living in Manhattan won't have the NY accent, even though it's quintessentially "NY." Even in the outer boroughs today; many transplants are living here since they're being priced out of Manhattan.

You definitely hear more of a NY accent in the suburbs, like Westchester and Long Island. Many natives go there to raise their families. That's why the NY accent isn't dying in the suburbs. It is in the city, but not so much the burbs.

Old 02-12-2009, 03:35 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,042,151 times
Quote:
Ive never heard of Tobaggon for hat. I do notice that in the North "you guys" can mean male or female. Something that is spreading down here.

To me coke is coca cola.

Why use a term, that is an acronym to coca cola, and use it to describe all the soft drinks...eg 7-up, mountain dew, welch etc...it makes no sense.

Save yourself the trouble and just say soda.

Old 02-12-2009, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
To me coke is coca cola.

Why use a term, that is an acronym to coca cola, and use it to describe all the soft drinks...eg 7-up, mountain dew, welch etc...it makes no sense.

Save yourself the trouble and just say soda.
But its really not soda. Its actually a soft drink. Is there really soda in a coke? I dont think so, lol

But have it your way. Like they do at Burger King, lol

Old 02-12-2009, 03:38 PM

114 posts, read 207,459 times
Quote:

I do not like being referred to that way. I have never understood the stigma attached to the word y’all. It is a contraction of two real words and is gender neutral.

Old 02-12-2009, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelby61 View Post
I do not like being referred to that way. I have never understood the stigma attached to the word y’all. It is a contraction of two real words and is gender neutral.
Eggs-actly!

Nothin' wrong with the most handiest little pronoun ever invented!

Sometimes I say you-all, if Im afraid Ill offend someone .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.