U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-18-2009, 09:01 PM
 
3,596 posts, read 7,710,106 times
Reputation: 2878

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Since you are such a "sophisticate," you should really broaden your horizons and try Korean barbeque too.

And sorry, but a lot of "soul food" is not fried, and lard is not a required ingredient.

Ever hear of good old fashioned mac-n-cheese? No lard or frying to be found there.
Not a big fan of Korean food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-18-2009, 09:31 PM
 
12,356 posts, read 18,242,137 times
Reputation: 3413
Default That is right!!

Exactly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BILLIAM!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2009, 09:45 PM
 
Location: On the Great South Bay
7,138 posts, read 9,917,638 times
Reputation: 6424
Default Why doesn't the South stay Southern but the North Stays Northern?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmonder27 View Post
Im sure this has been discussed a little before. But I was just wondering-

In any part of the South today- even the Deep South- the "Southern" feel of the region is less and less than it was even just 20 years ago. Its more "watered down". Ya know- its just kinda Southern-Lite or more just anywhere USA.

However, go to the North, and it feels just as Northern as it did years ago . The people still have the same local dialects, they are still Northern in look and feel , etc. More hurried, less manners, bad traffic/drivers, etc.

In any place in the South you would hard pressed to find anyone under 70 with a TRUE Southern accent- no matter what the local variation. In the North many of the young people still have those accents.

Its because we have one stop idea that all southern culture is exactly the same. If anything changes

Young people in the South simply do not have much Southern accent at all.

Not to mention- the South is becoming more Northern in parts- (Virgina has already lost Northern Virginia and Hampton Roads), Atlanta, Nashville, Charlotte- not very Southern like they used to be.

Is this because more Northerners move South, than Southerners move North?

Why does it seem the Northern culture and attitude seems to predominate- even in the South?

Inquiring minds would like to know.
Its because we have this one stop idea that all southern culture has to be exactly the same. If anything changes - then it is no longer southern.

This is why you have people saying that Virginia or Texas (let alone Florida) are not part of the South - because it is not "southern enough".

Over the years in the rest of country however - millions of people (including millions of Southerners) have moved into the West and the North. But New England is still New England, the Midwest is still the Midwest, the West is still the West etc.

I think people need to accept while there is a predominant southern culture, ie traditional white/black - other people can become Southerners too. Just like the French cajuns eventually became accepted as Southerners - eventually the hispanics of South Florida will also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2009, 10:46 PM
 
Location: Richmond
1,191 posts, read 3,237,877 times
Reputation: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Its because we have this one stop idea that all southern culture has to be exactly the same. If anything changes - then it is no longer southern.

This is why you have people saying that Virginia or Texas (let alone Florida) are not part of the South - because it is not "southern enough".

Over the years in the rest of country however - millions of people (including millions of Southerners) have moved into the West and the North. But New England is still New England, the Midwest is still the Midwest, the West is still the West etc.

I think people need to accept while there is a predominant southern culture, ie traditional white/black - other people can become Southerners too. Just like the French cajuns eventually became accepted as Southerners - eventually the hispanics of South Florida will also.
Well Virginia is the oldest of Southern states. I always tell people from Alabama who say we arent " the real South" that Virginia was Southern long before Alabama was even a state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2009, 10:48 PM
 
Location: South GA
10,893 posts, read 9,889,746 times
Reputation: 20878
Southern is a state of mind! (Also attitude and manners!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2009, 10:51 PM
 
Location: Richmond
1,191 posts, read 3,237,877 times
Reputation: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeeyow View Post
Southern is a state of mind! (Also attitude and manners!)
That is true!

I have met "Yankee" Southerners and "Rebel" Yankees.

Some of the nicest people I have met are from Upstate NY. They even like sweet tea! Of course they have lived in Richmond for the past 25 years and have sort of assimilated.

Then I met some Southerners whos attitudes are just so more like the North.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2009, 11:35 PM
 
2,758 posts, read 4,925,252 times
Reputation: 1114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmonder27 View Post
That is true!

I have met "Yankee" Southerners and "Rebel" Yankees.

Some of the nicest people I have met are from Upstate NY. They even like sweet tea! Of course they have lived in Richmond for the past 25 years and have sort of assimilated.

Then I met some Southerners whos attitudes are just so more like the North.
You know? This isn't really the correct question. This reminds me of the "Is Atlanta East Coast" thread in the ATL forum, the gist of the question should have been about ATL becoming more urban (this was Coolyfett's observation) and in this thread it should be about the South matching the Northeast and becoming more urban and having some metro areas and all of the extras that come with it. Why do I say that? There really isn't that much of an attitude difference between a Northern ruralist and a Southern ruralist (the South was mostly rural for the longest) and the South was about small town life for the longest, that's why you talk of "Yankee Southerners and Rebel Yankees." I spent most of my life in big metro (Cincinnati, Loiusville, ATL, and Orlando) so that life is normal to me and it was hard to live in a small town (Johnson City,TN) for six years because it was different. Some people in Johnson City claimed that they were living a truer Southern lifestyle but I was from furthur South. I think we have not seen your question phase out completely because the Southern cities are still going through it's changes and adjustments and haven't had tim to gel and form it's own identity; if Houston takes on a Chi-Town character, if ATL adopts the Philly attitude, if Dallas starts to become a Boston clone than I will agree with you. Also the fact that you talked about thesouther yankee/northern rebel thing and also spoke of upstate NY lets me know that you don't want the South to start having large swift moving metros poping up (correct if false).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2009, 11:56 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia
1,321 posts, read 2,748,324 times
Reputation: 1464
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
Not a big fan of Korean food.
A Southerner who doesn't like Seoul food?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2009, 10:01 AM
 
Location: Richmond
1,191 posts, read 3,237,877 times
Reputation: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Summers View Post
You know? This isn't really the correct question. This reminds me of the "Is Atlanta East Coast" thread in the ATL forum, the gist of the question should have been about ATL becoming more urban (this was Coolyfett's observation) and in this thread it should be about the South matching the Northeast and becoming more urban and having some metro areas and all of the extras that come with it. Why do I say that? There really isn't that much of an attitude difference between a Northern ruralist and a Southern ruralist (the South was mostly rural for the longest) and the South was about small town life for the longest, that's why you talk of "Yankee Southerners and Rebel Yankees." I spent most of my life in big metro (Cincinnati, Loiusville, ATL, and Orlando) so that life is normal to me and it was hard to live in a small town (Johnson City,TN) for six years because it was different. Some people in Johnson City claimed that they were living a truer Southern lifestyle but I was from furthur South. I think we have not seen your question phase out completely because the Southern cities are still going through it's changes and adjustments and haven't had tim to gel and form it's own identity; if Houston takes on a Chi-Town character, if ATL adopts the Philly attitude, if Dallas starts to become a Boston clone than I will agree with you. Also the fact that you talked about thesouther yankee/northern rebel thing and also spoke of upstate NY lets me know that you don't want the South to start having large swift moving metros poping up (correct if false).

Im not quite talking about rural vs. urban because Southern cities are different in attitude than Northern ones- and they can be sometimes just as large. But its a more "laid back" attitude. Has nothing to do with how rural it is. Also just a warmer, friendlier, and more leisurely vibe. And actually my post was more in regard to Southern cities , rather than the countryside.


I disagree that rural Northern is the same as rural Southern. There are many similiarities- but in the rural North it just feels different to me at least. And I hate to say this- but rural North seems more organized. While rural South, its more like things are not quite as orderly. Also rural Yankees grow different crops and have different attitudes about things. This will shock many, but I find racism among rural Northerners much higher too. They have never seen black people before.

In the rural South, there are black farmers. There is the General Store in both North and South- but in the South- The General Store seems to the focal point of Country Livin- where the farmers congregate and have a moon pie or RC Cola. In the North the focal point of rural life is more like a restaurant or neigborhood bar. Again, these are subtle differences, but its noticeable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2009, 10:22 AM
 
Location: Kentucky
6,749 posts, read 19,960,217 times
Reputation: 2129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Summers View Post
You know? This isn't really the correct question. This reminds me of the "Is Atlanta East Coast" thread in the ATL forum, the gist of the question should have been about ATL becoming more urban (this was Coolyfett's observation) and in this thread it should be about the South matching the Northeast and becoming more urban and having some metro areas and all of the extras that come with it. Why do I say that? There really isn't that much of an attitude difference between a Northern ruralist and a Southern ruralist (the South was mostly rural for the longest) and the South was about small town life for the longest, that's why you talk of "Yankee Southerners and Rebel Yankees." I spent most of my life in big metro (Cincinnati, Loiusville, ATL, and Orlando) so that life is normal to me and it was hard to live in a small town (Johnson City,TN) for six years because it was different. Some people in Johnson City claimed that they were living a truer Southern lifestyle but I was from furthur South. I think we have not seen your question phase out completely because the Southern cities are still going through it's changes and adjustments and haven't had tim to gel and form it's own identity; if Houston takes on a Chi-Town character, if ATL adopts the Philly attitude, if Dallas starts to become a Boston clone than I will agree with you. Also the fact that you talked about thesouther yankee/northern rebel thing and also spoke of upstate NY lets me know that you don't want the South to start having large swift moving metros poping up (correct if false).
Good post! It's also like people who move from small towns in the South to larger cities in the South and then say the city isn't Southern. It's still Southern, just different. There are different facets of Southern, and they are all great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top