U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-13-2009, 08:53 PM
 
Location: Silver Spring, MD/Washington DC
3,451 posts, read 8,150,992 times
Reputation: 2346

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
Northern culture is much stronger and more established.
If you mean "distinctive" when you say stronger and more established, I disagree.

If you mean "pervasive" when you say stronger and more established, I agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-13-2009, 08:59 PM
 
12,356 posts, read 18,223,134 times
Reputation: 3411
Katsmeeyow, I agree with you. I disagree that the Northern culture is more stronger.....yeah, they have a stronger personality, considering the fact that they don't speak to anybody and they aren't hospitable as us southerners are. The North doesn't even have foods that are associated with them. The North is, however, a melting pot of cultures, which results in a variety of foods. However, the South has foods associated with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2009, 09:04 PM
 
Location: Richmond
1,191 posts, read 3,235,312 times
Reputation: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by KE111691 View Post
Katsmeeyow, I agree with you. I disagree that the Northern culture is more stronger.....yeah, they have a stronger personality, considering the fact that they don't speak to anybody and they aren't hospitable as us southerners are. The North doesn't even have foods that are associated with them. The North is, however, a melting pot of cultures, which results in a variety of foods. However, the South has foods associated with it.
Actually, the North does have food associated with it.

Largely its the Deli stuff. Reuben sandwiches, bratworst, hot dogs, etc. Salami, pastrami, lol. all that stuff is Northern.

Not to mention bagels, lochs, "hoagies", I-talian cuisine, Perogies ( I had never heard of these before until someone from Pittsburg told me about them), Pizza- couldn't get any more Northern than that!



The South now has all that stuff, and it seems like its even more prevalent in the South than the local flavor at times

In the North, sure you can find a bbq joint here and there. But look at the South- we all have Jersey Mikes all over the place!

Does Bojangles exist in the North? Nope. Not even Chic-Fil-A. At least not much of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2009, 09:09 PM
 
12,356 posts, read 18,223,134 times
Reputation: 3411
On a "food leve," the South has more food choices and resturants than the North. Take Rochester, NY for example. It has the average resturants that you would find all over. When it comes to local resturants, there is really a small amount compared to cities in the South. Also, there are only two major grocery stores, Wegmen's and Tops, in the Rochester market. While in the South, there is Winn Dixie, Bruno's, Publix, Bi-Lo's, Piggly Wiggly, Food World, Food Max, Ingle's, Kroger's, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2009, 09:55 PM
 
Location: Silver Spring, MD/Washington DC
3,451 posts, read 8,150,992 times
Reputation: 2346
Bojangles really has very few locations that are outside of maybe a 200-300 mile radius of Charlotte. There are many parts of "the South" where if you mentioned Bojangles, people wouldn't know what you are talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2009, 06:33 AM
 
12,356 posts, read 18,223,134 times
Reputation: 3411
True! But what's your point. The South has alot of "southern" food chains that spread across the South. If you go to some parts of Florida and you ask somebody where is a Church's, they would propabaly say that don't know and have never heard of it. In the South, certain states have different food chains than other southern states have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2009, 08:10 AM
 
3,234 posts, read 7,627,024 times
Reputation: 2694
Quote:
Originally Posted by KE111691 View Post
On a "food leve," the South has more food choices and resturants than the North. Take Rochester, NY for example. It has the average resturants that you would find all over. When it comes to local resturants, there is really a small amount compared to cities in the South. Also, there are only two major grocery stores, Wegmen's and Tops, in the Rochester market. While in the South, there is Winn Dixie, Bruno's, Publix, Bi-Lo's, Piggly Wiggly, Food World, Food Max, Ingle's, Kroger's, etc.

I would reverse that. Rochester and most of the north have more "local" restaurants than in the south. One thing that people tell me when they visit here is the lack of chain restaurants. What makes this area great is the large amount of local mom and pop restaurants in the city. Rochester has more local restaurants in the city than cities in the south I have been to such as Charlotte, Raleigh, VA beach,etc. The south has a much greater selection of chains. Some people like that. Personally, I don't. And grocery stores? When you have a store like Wegmans, who needs all of those. I had to shop at places like Publix, piggly wiggly, food lion, etc when I was down there and they were all inferior to Wegmans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2009, 09:21 AM
 
Location: The Woods
16,946 posts, read 22,257,781 times
Reputation: 9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by KE111691 View Post
Katsmeeyow, I agree with you. I disagree that the Northern culture is more stronger.....yeah, they have a stronger personality, considering the fact that they don't speak to anybody and they aren't hospitable as us southerners are. The North doesn't even have foods that are associated with them. The North is, however, a melting pot of cultures, which results in a variety of foods. However, the South has foods associated with it.
Maple syrup, clam chowder, various fish dishes, cheese and other dairy items are/were a major thing in states like VT which were traditionally heavily agricultural...there are foods associated with the North...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2009, 09:26 AM
 
Location: The Woods
16,946 posts, read 22,257,781 times
Reputation: 9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
Northern culture is much stronger and more established. The massive influx of Northerners to the south, without a reverse migration, hasn't hurt things either.
Well technically the first European settlements in North America were in more Southern areas (VA notably)...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2009, 09:28 AM
 
3,597 posts, read 7,703,815 times
Reputation: 2878
Quote:
Originally Posted by KE111691 View Post
Katsmeeyow, I agree with you. I disagree that the Northern culture is more stronger.....yeah, they have a stronger personality, considering the fact that they don't speak to anybody and they aren't hospitable as us southerners are. The North doesn't even have foods that are associated with them. The North is, however, a melting pot of cultures, which results in a variety of foods. However, the South has foods associated with it.


Sweetheart, the south is not and never will be known for good food. The north is the epicentre of all things "food" related in this nation-- gourmet food, restaurants, delis, cultural diversity, et cetera.

You can't even get good bagels outside of NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top