U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 05:51 AM

300 posts, read 919,057 times

Advertisements

Proud to be an American, where atleast I know im free.

Btw: I dont want to turn this into a race war or anything but why blacks and hispanics dont love america as often as whites? THe rednecks seem to ruin the reputation of being a patriot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2009, 06:15 AM

731 posts, read 1,821,028 times
I guess. I'm not ashamed, and I wouldn't rather live anywhere else so...I guess so. The US is just so big, there's so many different cultures within it. I'm much more proud to be from Chicago, for example, because there's a culture that's very specific to it that I can more closely identify with.

I mean, I lived in Seoul for awhile, and I seriously could related to Koreans who lived there better than I can relate to a random guy from upstate Idaho or northern Alabama, so the meaning of 'American' starts to get muddled, to me.

Old 02-15-2009, 10:28 AM

2 posts, read 4,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lndigo View Post
Grateful? Very.
Proud? Not really.
This sums up how I feel exactly.

I am extremely grateful to be an American. I never would have received the opportunities and comfortable lifestyle I have here if I had been born and raised in the pueblos of Mexico. I agree that it is definitely much better living here than in a third world nation.

Still, I'm not really proud to be an American. Our government is corrupt and I'm sick of us trying to spread democracy to the world as if we're the the nation every nation wants to be. Why don't we fix the corruption and poverty problems we have here before trying to fix those of other nations'. After all, if we don't have a strong base, how can we expect to help others? And if we do that, maybe other countries will stop speaking badly of us. It's like having a sort of experienced boxer [The good old USA] attempt to teach beginners [third world countries] everything about boxing, all the while telling very experienced boxers [Europe] that they can do a better job. This isn't a slam against America. Because once the sort of experienced boxer reaches the level of the very experienced boxers, then they are fit to tell others how it's done. And the other very experienced boxers can't say anything about it.

poorly worded, but hopefully it makes sense.

Also, our country's focus on profit and its capitalism really saddens me. Why are we putting profit before health? Why are we putting profit before the good of the people?

And for those of you telling those of us who are not proud to be Americans to leave, well you'll be happy to know that I am moving to Europe as soon as I finish my bachelor's here and I turn 18. I would have gone to university in Europe, but Berkeley was waiting for me and I don't think my parents would have been cool sending a 16 year old to Europe. Nationalized healthcare here I come.

I really don't want to be insulted on this thread or told how ungrateful I am to live in America. So I'd like to say that I am extremeley grateful to have lived here instead of in some third world country. However, proud to be an American? Maybe if things get better.

Old 02-15-2009, 10:31 AM

55,644 posts, read 74,585,953 times
friend you have redefined what is an american.
when obama took office was one of my better days. it took guts to put that great big bumper sticker on my car, angry men on the freeways honked and shook their fists at me.
he won. i gave a lot more money to this campaign than b4, so yes i am proud that i had the guts to stand for something. i am not proud of blackwater.i am not proud of what has happened to this country in the last 8 years. debtor nation. i am not proud of the behavior-- the lazy the mega attitude i see calling itself the new proud american. i do not speak of the old guys who still have guts the viet nam era guys, but what they have left us with ----massive personal debt and unemployable kidults. the era of good feeling has come to an end and its a train wreck.

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 02-15-2009 at 10:41 AM..

Old 02-15-2009, 12:47 PM

2,927 posts, read 7,572,134 times
Absolutely I'm proud!! Like duh...

Old 02-15-2009, 01:24 PM

11,878 posts, read 33,536,114 times
Yes, I am proud to be an American, but I would also be proud to be a citizen of whatever country in which I was born.

I'm sure that people in countries that they love feel the same way about their countries as well. I spent some time in Europe and fell in love with the place.

Perhaps other than certain opportunities like opening up a business I felt no constriction on my freedoms there at all. In many cases, I felt more free.

The world is a wonderful place.

Old 02-15-2009, 01:37 PM

3,277 posts, read 4,613,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnishAmerican View Post
Proud to be an American, where atleast I know im free.

Btw: I dont want to turn this into a race war or anything but why blacks and hispanics dont love america as often as whites? THe rednecks seem to ruin the reputation of being a patriot.
I think you can look for historically underrepresented minorities to begin taking more pride in it. Black people especially, while having an extensive history in this country, have only been welcomed and included relatively recently. It's a bit difficult to feel proud of things your country accomplished when your help wasn't really wanted.

Old 02-16-2009, 04:49 AM

1,928 posts, read 4,630,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmonder27 View Post
I AM! This is truly a gift from God to be an American!

We are the greatest country in the world. We are also have freedoms that most people in other parts of the world have to die for.

I got to thinking I dont care anymore about North-South or EAST-WEST

WE ARE ALL AMERICANS! United under God!

I love this great country. Whether you're in the hills of TN or the Prairies of Texas or the Rocky Beaches of New England- Its America!

I love being an American. How about you??
Same here. There is nowhere else in the world I would rather be. I wouldn't care if the rest of the world disappeared tomorrow, as long as America is still here. It is the best country in the world!!!

Sure we have problems, but I can't imagine having the comfortable lifestyle I currently enjoy anywhere else in the world.

Old 02-16-2009, 06:51 AM

2,602 posts, read 4,318,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
I didn't become an American by my own merit, nor am I proud of the actions of others. So, no. I'll get jumped on for this, but I truthfully am not nor do I even remotely comprehend the concept.
Well you are certainly not going to get credit for being the enlightened intellect that you seem to think that you are.

There is a lot more to be proud of than there is to be ashamed of.

Old 02-16-2009, 07:03 AM

2,602 posts, read 4,318,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger15 View Post
Yet I don't see either of you leaving America. Funny how that works.

This place is by far the best. God bless the good ol' USA.
These people are boobs, plain and simple. They seem to think that freedom is the default setting of human life. It is not. Freedom is the exception to the rule of life on this planet. We have what we have because hundreds of thousands of people before us bled and toiled for it.

Imagine if someone who fell at Saratoga, Fredericksburg, Belleau Wood, or the Bulge could hear these jerks say this crap:
"I am not proud nor do I even remotely comprehend the concept".
They died for that!????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.