Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 03:28 PM

28 posts, read 52,214 times

Advertisements

Only very few things make me very angry with other people and here are two of them.

1. People complaining about how bad they have it in America and how crappy it is. In other countries people face genocide, torture for speaking against dictators, and don't have enough food to get survive. Try living in a third world country before you complain how ****ty America's quality of life is.

2. People that say they aren't proud to be American. If you are not proud than why do you live here? To take advantage of our country and give nothing back? I'm Italian-American but my loyalty lies to America and America alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2009, 03:41 PM

2,915 posts, read 3,494,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
And being a prejudiced jerk ruins the reputation of being American.
I couldn't have said it any better. That Fin needs to check himself

Old 02-16-2009, 06:59 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,183,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLGulfcoaster View Post
Only very few things make me very angry with other people and here are two of them.

1. People complaining about how bad they have it in America and how crappy it is. In other countries people face genocide, torture for speaking against dictators, and don't have enough food to get survive. Try living in a third world country before you complain how ****ty America's quality of life is.
You've clearly decided to vent prior to paying attention to what is actually said. So I'll assist you. Firstly, no one here is saying that America is crappy relative to the average country in the world. It was argued that America ia freest in general, and it was pointed out that several countries, mainly European countries, had even more freedoms. it was not intended to 'bash' America or frame it in a negative light but to demonstrate that there is still a way to go. If you can't comprehend that your country can be better, then you frankly are useless to it.

Quote:

2. People that say they aren't proud to be American. If you are not proud than why do you live here? To take advantage of our country and give nothing back? I'm Italian-American but my loyalty lies to America and America alone.
Nextly, it's rather old for you to still be arguing the fallacious premise that just because you aren't proud purely for being a certain nationality that you can't be content with it or contribute anything to it.

A lot of you seem to be reacting before you've even taken the time to understand the position at all. And it's because of sentiment like that that America hasn't grown the way it should. Open your ears and your mind to nuance of opinion and stop believing in petty, false 'Love it or Leave It' dichotomies.

Old 02-16-2009, 07:20 PM

256 posts, read 747,872 times
It has its flaws, but yes, I am very proud to be an American, especially with our new president. For 8 years I was pretty bummed out about the country I love and now I'm more patriotic than ever.

Although I want to stress that just because I love America doesn't mean I dislike other countries. A lot of countries are just as free and just as we are. They just aren't as culturally influential, economically dominant, diverse, innovative, expansive, etc. as we are.

God bless America and all the other great nations we share this earth with!

Old 02-16-2009, 07:37 PM

2,908 posts, read 3,856,507 times
You mean our new president who has appointed an empty suit as Treasury Secretary? The guy who was supposed to be watching over Wall Street and not letting it run rampant. The guy who can't figure out how to file his taxes? Or, how about the new asst. Sec. of Defense? Yes, he ran Raytheon, one of our militarys largest suppliers. Sorry, but I don't feel the change that he promised, just more raping of the tax paying American citizens.
I am not necessarily proud to be American. I am thankful for what I have and proud of individuals who have earned that praise.
If we as Americans can figure out how to take our country back, then I am sure that I will feel a much greater sense of patriotism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Springs Rep. View Post
It has its flaws, but yes, I am very proud to be an American, especially with our new president. For 8 years I was pretty bummed out about the country I love and now I'm more patriotic than ever.

Although I want to stress that just because I love America doesn't mean I dislike other countries. A lot of countries are just as free and just as we are. They just aren't as culturally influential, economically dominant, diverse, innovative, expansive, etc. as we are.

God bless America and all the other great nations we share this earth with!

Old 02-16-2009, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
The guy who was supposed to be watching over Wall Street and not letting it run rampant.
What on earth are you talking about? He just got into office three weeks ago??? What do you expect him to do? He's not Superman; he can't just wave a magic wand and do things.

Quote:
The guy who can't figure out how to file his taxes?
What on earth are you talking about? Obama's paid all his taxes.

Quote:
Sorry, but I don't feel the change that he promised, just more raping of the tax paying American citizens.
Once again: what on earth are you talking about? Obama hasn't raised a single person's taxes yet.

Are you living in some sort of alternate reality? Half of the things you said don't make any sense whatsoever.

Old 02-16-2009, 08:14 PM

2,908 posts, read 3,856,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Springs Rep[COLOR=Blue
.;7495097]What on earth are you talking about? He just got into office three weeks ago??? What do you expect him to do? He's not Superman; he can't just wave a magic wand and do things.
[/color]Geitner was chairman of the NY Federal Reserve Bank.

What on earth are you talking about? Obama's paid all his taxes. I am talking about Geitner, not Obama.

Once again: what on earth are you talking about? Obama hasn't raised a single person's taxes yet. Who is going to pay for all of the money that he is going to print?

Are you living in some sort of alternate reality? Half of the things you said don't make any sense whatsoever.
Ah, another blinded by the Obamessiah. Sorry, if you had to ask the questions above, you need to do a bit more research and reading.

Old 02-16-2009, 08:19 PM

7,330 posts, read 15,320,407 times
I don't really like to say that I'm proud to be an American, per se, because pride implies that I somehow deserve the good fortune of being born here.

I am very thankful to be an American.

Old 02-16-2009, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Ah, another blinded by the Obamessiah. Sorry, if you had to ask the questions above, you need to do a bit more research and reading.
I've done plenty of research and reading. Obama has paid all his taxes. He has not raped any taxpayers yet. And "Wall Street running rampant" is left over from the Bush Administration, as opposed to this silly idea you're suggesting that Obama suddenly caused everything happen in the three weeks he's been in office.

Last edited by Sandy Springs Rep.; 02-16-2009 at 08:40 PM..

Old 02-17-2009, 08:24 AM

28 posts, read 52,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
You've clearly decided to vent prior to paying attention to what is actually said. So I'll assist you. Firstly, no one here is saying that America is crappy relative to the average country in the world. It was argued that America ia freest in general, and it was pointed out that several countries, mainly European countries, had even more freedoms. it was not intended to 'bash' America or frame it in a negative light but to demonstrate that there is still a way to go. If you can't comprehend that your country can be better, then you frankly are useless to it.

Nextly, it's rather old for you to still be arguing the fallacious premise that just because you aren't proud purely for being a certain nationality that you can't be content with it or contribute anything to it.

A lot of you seem to be reacting before you've even taken the time to understand the position at all. And it's because of sentiment like that that America hasn't grown the way it should. Open your ears and your mind to nuance of opinion and stop believing in petty, false 'Love it or Leave It' dichotomies.
My post was not directed to anyone on this thread, I was talking in general. When did I ever say America is perfect or without its flaws? I'll be the first to admit that our country has lots of problems, however all of the good things should not be forgotten just because of those problems.

I never said I wasn't proud to be Italian-American because I definitley am. I was talking about how I appreciate America more than Italy because it is the country that gave my ancestors a home and oppertunity to better themselves.

Your post does not really make sense. You attack my beliefs and make wild accusations about me when you clearly misinterpreted my post and do not know me at all. Your nonsensical rant against my post was unneeded and unappreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.