U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 02:56 PM

1,191 posts, read 3,241,119 times

Advertisements

I AM! This is truly a gift from God to be an American!

We are the greatest country in the world. We are also have freedoms that most people in other parts of the world have to die for.

I got to thinking I dont care anymore about North-South or EAST-WEST

WE ARE ALL AMERICANS! United under God!

I love this great country. Whether you're in the hills of TN or the Prairies of Texas or the Rocky Beaches of New England- Its America!

I love being an American. How about you??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 03:06 PM

1,576 posts, read 5,143,890 times
sometimes

It can be REALLY immoral at times but i'd rather be here than anywhere else

Old 02-12-2009, 03:54 PM

9,908 posts, read 21,185,344 times
I am proud to be an American - I also like other people who are also proud of their countries. We live on an incredibly beautiful planet where only overbearing and corrupt governments can make a place undesirable.

Old 02-12-2009, 04:09 PM

56,891 posts, read 81,238,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
I am proud to be an American - I also like other people who are also proud of their countries. We live on an incredibly beautiful planet where only overbearing and corrupt governments can make a place undesirable.
I agree. Even if your country isn't "considered" to be "the best", you can still love it anyway. I love mine and served my country, but I believe in putting that into proper perspective too.

Old 02-12-2009, 04:11 PM

19,121 posts, read 26,739,408 times
I'm a VERY proud American, except for all that religion stuff. We are a people united under a common goal, to be treated fairly and equally, regardless of what you believe in.

I love living in such a beautiful country, but unfortunately it's becoming more and more negative as the days go by. Can't we all just get along?

Old 02-12-2009, 04:17 PM

4,552 posts, read 13,474,692 times
I wish everyone just saw each other as Americans rather than black,white,hispanic, blah blah blah, although skin colors and culture may be different and that is good but people need to realize that we are all the same and we are all Americans.

Old 02-12-2009, 06:17 PM

6,046 posts, read 10,069,800 times
I would never want to live in any other country.

Old 02-12-2009, 06:19 PM

11,878 posts, read 33,582,003 times
We are all Americans regardless of race, religion, etc. I love this country the most but I also love other countries across the planet.

Old 02-12-2009, 07:06 PM

2,441 posts, read 6,133,204 times
I am proud to be an American because of the opportunities that this country has afforded me. We all should realize that we could have been born and raised in some Third World country, where opportunities are nearly impossible to come by if you are of a certain class.

That said, I am not always proud of my country. This country has a lot of faults that a responsible person should not ignore. Blind patriotism, calling others "un-American" if they have different views, don't support every action of the U.S. military, and don't shower the U.S. with incessant praise, and supporting every move our presidents has never been my style.

Old 02-13-2009, 05:43 PM

4,964 posts, read 7,626,394 times
Absolutely. But the OP's temperament is a little too "Lee Greenwood" for me. The whole "United by God" thing is really not what America is about. I'm much more like the poster above.
I think it is extraordinarily insightful to have traveled a bit in other countries, where one comes back with a greater appreciation as well as a more realistic impression of our great country. That is, while we are generally an admired and benevolent force in the world we also have a very distorted view of our overall influence and presence for other people's world view. We are rightfully considered along with several other developed and emerging countries as a force of influence but we are not the end-all and be-all for all other citizens aspirations. We are in fact woefully backwards (and falling behind) in so many social, medical and educational areas, our technology is near, but not at the top and our ideas of democracy while solid are not universally accepted as the model right now for others to follow.
A strong democracy and true love and pride for one's country comes with a responsibility to recognize and point out our faults, our need to continue to change and improve, while projecting a confidence in our ability to do so based on our solid traditions and values.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.