U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 07:45 AM

11,182 posts, read 22,403,520 times

Advertisements

I definitely noticed Wyoming.

The cities that are there are quite small, and few and far between. What I noticed most was that the eastern part of the state is nothing...no trees....not many bushes....just scrub, rocks and dirt.

No trees makes a huge difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2009, 07:57 AM

347 posts, read 1,199,983 times
I am surprised Michigan didnt make the top 10 list

Old 02-13-2009, 07:59 AM

87,037 posts, read 102,723,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDevil View Post
I am surprised Michigan didnt make the top 10 list
Michigan? With Detroit, Grand Rapids, Ann Arbor, E. Lansing, just to name a few? Sure, there are some sparsely settled areas on the UP, but they are more than made up for "down below".

Old 02-13-2009, 09:46 AM

2,927 posts, read 7,580,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
Wyoming! Wyoming! Wyoming!

I'm from South Dakota and even I get depressed driving through Wyoming. Grasslands, arid prairie, tumbleweeds, and endless wind. I HATE IT!
I would much rather see that than trash, decaying buildings, and endless identical houses as far as the eye can see.....

Wyoming is certainly one of the most beautiful states in the country, due to the fact that it's population is so small mainly.

Old 02-13-2009, 11:34 AM

5,859 posts, read 14,065,159 times
The Great Plains states have the largest expansion of "nothing", if by that you mean towns and population.

Old 02-13-2009, 01:38 PM

1,018 posts, read 3,729,601 times
Not the entire state, but eastern Oregon is very, very expansive and empty.

Old 02-13-2009, 02:30 PM

6,046 posts, read 10,061,683 times
A lot of western states are empty outside of the major cities. But empty is not necessarily a bad thing.

Old 02-13-2009, 08:45 PM

362 posts, read 1,633,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
Wyoming! Wyoming! Wyoming!

I'm from South Dakota and even I get depressed driving through Wyoming. Grasslands, arid prairie, tumbleweeds, and endless wind. I HATE IT!
Are you serious? Where exactly have you been in Wyoming? I mean South Dakota's cool and all with the Black Hills, but the rest of the state is relatively flat plains. Wyoming has Yellowstone/Grand Teton and countless mountain ranges with 13,000'+ peaks. But like the OP said, this thread is about opinions and you are entitled to yours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
A lot of western states are empty outside of the major cities. But empty is not necessarily a bad thing.
Heartily agree!

Old 02-14-2009, 07:24 AM

2,601 posts, read 4,078,637 times
On our way to Colorado to visit family, we drove through South Dakota. I have an uncle in Huron that we visited for a couple of days. The drive from Huron to Rapid City was far from boring, in my opinion. As we drove west from Huron, I started to notice differences in the topography. (It's been a number of years, but my memories are pretty vivid). Long before we reached the Badlands (spectacular), I started to notice small fissures in the ground. The farther west we drove, the more pronounced they became. I really had never noticed this on previous trips, because we took a little different route this time. It really was interesting to see the subtle changes in the landscape become more and more pronounced by the time we reached the Badlands.

No one else in the car really noticed until I pointed it out, and they probably would say it was a boring drive, but I found it pretty interesting.
A whole lot of "nothing" for some people, and pretty spectacular for others.

Old 02-14-2009, 07:46 AM

11,878 posts, read 33,567,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
On our way to Colorado to visit family, we drove through South Dakota. I have an uncle in Huron that we visited for a couple of days. The drive from Huron to Rapid City was far from boring, in my opinion. As we drove west from Huron, I started to notice differences in the topography. (It's been a number of years, but my memories are pretty vivid). Long before we reached the Badlands (spectacular), I started to notice small fissures in the ground. The farther west we drove, the more pronounced they became. I really had never noticed this on previous trips, because we took a little different route this time. It really was interesting to see the subtle changes in the landscape become more and more pronounced by the time we reached the Badlands.

No one else in the car really noticed until I pointed it out, and they probably would say it was a boring drive, but I found it pretty interesting.
A whole lot of "nothing" for some people, and pretty spectacular for others.

Yep, there is beauty to be found everywhere. All one has to do is open their eyes as well as their mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or