U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 09:31 PM

483 posts, read 1,781,778 times

Advertisements

The Midwest is in such bad shape because of the collapse of manufacturing. The factory workers kept the local economy going. With most of the mills and factories closed, no one has money to buy anything. No one can afford to go to bars, bowling alleys, shops, or restaurants. Subsequently, the city dies.

Some cities are trying to redefine themselves. Cleveland has Case Western Reserve University and some of the best hospitals in the Midwest. They're trying hard to create a medical and biotech-based economy. Considering how many medical and biotech professionals are looking to leave the Northeast and West Coast, they just might succeed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2007, 09:37 AM

86,999 posts, read 102,581,357 times
One of the problems with much of the midwest, esp N. Dakota is the climate. I work with a lot of people who are FROM N. Dakota, who say they would never go back because of the winters. All of the upper midwest has harsh winters to a degree. I am saying from Chicago north, most of Iowa, Nebraska. Some people just frankly don't want to deal with that, especially if they are making a choice of where to live.

Old 03-18-2007, 02:36 PM

2,506 posts, read 7,757,344 times
A distinction has to be made between the Plains and the Great Lakes. Each have their seperate problems. The Great Lakes are still hurting from an industrial economy gone awry. The Plains suffer from population freefall. It is from the isolation, climate and lack of opportunity. I wouldn't say that the rest of the country is doing any better than the midwest. California sure as hell ain't shining. This is a general problem in America today, it is unfair to say that Chicago is the only city on the right track. Taxes and crime are not problems unique to the midwest. I don't think iv'e heard anyone say i would move to Chicago, Minneapolis, Kansas City, but the crime is so bad. It all seems to be realtive. People tend to think of these places (bar Chicago) as dull, safe, et. cetera. When they find on the contrary, they see it as a problem. Lastly, I think the midwest has made more headway in the last ten years than it has in the fourty before that. Even Saint Louis and Detroit seem to be seeing relative prosperity. i would also say that the midwest has a very positive outlook. Somebody has to grow all that ethanol after the Saudis go dry. Fargo won't look so bad.

Old 03-18-2007, 03:50 PM

4,806 posts, read 9,428,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
One of the problems with much of the midwest, esp N. Dakota is the climate. I work with a lot of people who are FROM N. Dakota, who say they would never go back because of the winters. All of the upper midwest has harsh winters to a degree. I am saying from Chicago north, most of Iowa, Nebraska. Some people just frankly don't want to deal with that, especially if they are making a choice of where to live.
I feel I must defend the weather up in the far north to some degree. I work in the weather business....and all of North Dakota is not always cold in the winter. The southwest part of the state...including Bismarck and Dickinson...can be quite warm at time. Today it is 68 at Bismarck at 4 pm Sunday. Now I live/work in the Grand Forks area and it is much colder here than in Bismarck usually. Certainly the winters can get people and drive some of those who grew up here south for a time to experience another climate. But that doesnt mean the economy or area is "bad". I do agree it is a problem to some degree because lots of people dont know about the area and are pleasantly suprised to arrive in North Dakota to see nice, clean livable cities and not barren wasteland. With this misconception, many people write the area off as a new place to move and thus employers would love to come up here but hiring qualified people is extremely difficult. Kind of a catch 22 if you will. Of course different people like different weather. I grew up in Kentucky and would never in a million years live that far south again as I hate sun and warmth and love the clouds and cold. I would love to visit south texas....florida and southern california but live there no because of the weather. As the say, you can always put on clothes for cold, but there is only so much you can take off

Dan

Old 03-18-2007, 04:35 PM

86,999 posts, read 102,581,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaninEGF View Post
I feel I must defend the weather up in the far north to some degree. Certainly the winters can get people and drive some of those who grew up here south for a time to experience another climate.
Dan
I agree with different strokes for different folks. My own opinion about weather is that people like:

a) What they grew up with (most of the time)
b) Warm
c) Sunny

This is just a generalization, of course. I missed the incessant rain when we moved here from PA via IL, but now I think Pittsburgh is incredibly gloomy. My mom from Wisconsin absolutely HATED snow, and she didn't even have to drive to work every day. Fortunately, she spent her married life in Pittsburgh, which in general, doesn't get tons of snow. Not like Wisconsin, anyway. But there is a reason the south is a retirement mecca.

Old 03-18-2007, 05:02 PM

4,806 posts, read 9,428,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
I agree with different strokes for different folks. My own opinion about weather is that people like:

a) What they grew up with (most of the time)
b) Warm
c) Sunny

This is just a generalization, of course. I missed the incessant rain when we moved here from PA via IL, but now I think Pittsburgh is incredibly gloomy. My mom from Wisconsin absolutely HATED snow, and she didn't even have to drive to work every day. Fortunately, she spent her married life in Pittsburgh, which in general, doesn't get tons of snow. Not like Wisconsin, anyway. But there is a reason the south is a retirement mecca.

In agreement there...my wife would love to be south a bit more than here....but she has family up here. It is unusual to find someone like myself I admit that. But every since I was little, I would dream of the day I could move north....wanted to move someday to Sasketchwan or northern Alberta but this as close as I got as Environment Canada, who operates the weather centres in Canada, downsized a lot in the 90.

Take care

Old 03-18-2007, 08:06 PM

1,489 posts, read 8,123,585 times
The South is much nicer.

Old 03-18-2007, 08:59 PM
j33

4,625 posts, read 12,866,572 times
looks like someone has an agenda and/or fetish. This thread is about the current state of the midwest, we all know how you feel about the south.

I agree with a lot of those who talk about the loss of the manufacturing base being a huge factor in the demise of the great lakes region of the Midwest (the only part of the midwest i'm really familiar with). The cities that have successfully navigated that loss are those with diverse economies, but sadly, when the factories moved out, nothing replaced them in a lot of places, and the communities were unprepared to deal with the fall out of having a lot of older unskilled workers ... who is going to hire a 50 year old guy who spent the last 20 years working in a steel mill or car factory only to then lose his job when it moved overseas (I know a few guys like this still hanging on to their factory jobs, I worry about 'em).

Old 03-19-2007, 04:10 AM

2,003 posts, read 4,395,257 times
It is very clear why the Mid-West is in bad shape. The jobs are being out-sourced to cheap labor china. Whatever jobs they keep here will be outsourced to more cheap labor in the form of illegal aliens. The working class has been sold out.

What can you do? First of all get your head out of your butt and stop shopping at Wal Mart/Target as these companies and moved billions of $ over to china along with millions of jobs. Stop buying Nikes who also have moved jobs over to sweat chops. Check your labels and buy American.

Old 03-19-2007, 07:22 AM

5,298 posts, read 5,772,710 times
Default Doesn't look bad to me.

State unemployment, December 2006 «click column headings to re-sort table» released 1/23/2007Rank State Rate
1 HAWAII 2.0
2 UTAH 2.6
3 MONTANA 2.9
3 VIRGINIA 2.9
5 WYOMING 3.0
6 NEBRASKA 3.1
7 IDAHO 3.2
7 NORTH DAKOTA 3.2
7 SOUTH DAKOTA 3.2
10 FLORIDA 3.3
11 DELAWARE 3.4
12 IOWA 3.5
12 NEW HAMPSHIRE 3.5
14 ALABAMA 3.6
15 NEW MEXICO 3.8
15 OKLAHOMA 3.8
15 VERMONT 3.8
18 MARYLAND 3.9
19 COLORADO 4.0
19 NEW YORK 4.0
21 ARIZONA 4.1
21 ILLINOIS 4.1
23 CONNECTICUT 4.2
23 MINNESOTA 4.2
23 NEW JERSEY 4.2
26 LOUISIANA 4.3
27 NEVADA 4.4
28 KANSAS 4.5
28 TEXAS 4.5
30 GEORGIA 4.6
30 PENNSYLVANIA 4.6
32 MAINE 4.7
32 TENNESSEE 4.7
34 CALIFORNIA 4.8
34 INDIANA 4.8
36 MISSOURI 4.9
36 NORTH CAROLINA 4.9
36 WISCONSIN 4.9
39 WASHINGTON 5.0
40 ARKANSAS 5.1
40 WEST VIRGINIA 5.1
42 KENTUCKY 5.2
42 RHODE ISLAND 5.2
44 MASSACHUSETTS 5.3
45 OREGON 5.4
46 OHIO 5.6
47 DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA 6.3
48 SOUTH CAROLINA 6.6
49 ALASKA 6.7
50 MICHIGAN 7.1
51 MISSISSIPPI 7.5
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or