U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2007, 01:15 PM

6,853 posts, read 19,823,492 times

Advertisements

Miami has both the slowest and fastest drivers and they both drive in the left lane. The passing lane is the right lane. And we have the #1 rudest ranked drivers in the country. Sad but true.

We are thinking about moving to Denver so we were just out there this past November. That was great driving traffic for us, compared to Miami's idiot drivers. Even rush hour traffic in Denver was nothing compared to Miami. I have heard that Phoenix is really bad too.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2007, 02:55 PM

87,035 posts, read 102,723,474 times
Agree with MattDen except that I think Denver drivers are just plain nuts! They drive too fast most of the time, will hog a turn lane for miles if possible, using it sort of as a passing lane, won't move over for you to merge, etc, etc, etc. There is a thread about Denver drivers on the Denver forum.

Old 03-17-2007, 03:52 PM

4,486 posts, read 15,296,093 times
Quote:
I agree w/ Sablebaby, the Phoenix area has tons of crazy insane fast drivers. But, I think we have the fastest and slowest. Right now all the snowbirds are here and they all drive about 30 mph. Drives everyone crazy this time of year.
I don't think Phoenix is nearly as bad in the summer though. The winter months is when it's absolutely crazy! You can have a little old lady driving a Buick going 40, having some executive in his BMW going 95, and a teeanger on a crotch rocket going 110 between them both!

In the summer traffic isn't AS BAD. It's still heavy but itsn't as crazy.

Denver doesn't have bad traffic; it's a walk in the park compared to most big cities. I have never had a problem navigating or driving in Denver.

Old 03-17-2007, 06:05 PM

5,608 posts, read 20,736,678 times
I think Denver and Phoenix are fairly normal. Drivers are bad everywhere, especially the younger they are.

Manhattan has the craziest drivers I've ever seen-- the taxi cab squeezing in fast between two semi trucks just as one was merging in to the other. And this was just an everyday moment, just a blink of an eye for the driver. Wow. Stop lights, lanes there might as well not exist.

A second runner up is Las Vegas-- lousy drivers going too fast, doing last minute maneuvers on the freeways, weaving in and out, not to mention that the lanes aren't even clear.

California drivers in general-- LA/SD are pretty scary. That whole image of the laid back, "beach bum" lifestyle is full of b.s.-- the drivers are hurried and obnoxious. I think you can tell a lot about what a culture is really like from the way they drive.

Old 03-17-2007, 06:10 PM

87,035 posts, read 102,723,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
Denver doesn't have bad traffic; it's a walk in the park compared to most big cities. I have never had a problem navigating or driving in Denver.
You are an exception. My cousin, from Phoenix, and a former driver's ed teacher, got lost going to my house because of bad sineage (sp?). Exits are not always clearly marked, "next right" and "this right" are used interchangeably so you don't always know until which exit is yours. I have long felt that for a city so dependent on tourism, they don't do a very good job getting people around. It is easier to find the airport than in Chicago, however.

Old 03-17-2007, 08:17 PM

9,362 posts, read 22,818,718 times
In Florida you get a mix, especially in the urban areas- the rush hour, office crowd is fast, the tourists are slow and a good number of senior citizens have actually died behind the wheel, but their cars continue going until they run out of gas!

Old 03-17-2007, 10:03 PM

134 posts, read 401,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roamfree View Post
Fastest drivers: Any city in Alabama. Speed limits mean nothing to most of those people.
And someone from Atlanta is complaining of fast drivers?

But yeah, there are alot of lead foots in Alabama.

Today I was on Interstate 65 North in Alabama and Tennessee and noticed alot of cars with OH, IN, MI, MN, and IL plates flying past me, and I was going 75 mph in a 70. So it's just not the Alabama drivers driving fast!

Old 03-17-2007, 10:46 PM

3,020 posts, read 23,642,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdalton View Post
And someone from Atlanta is complaining of fast drivers?

But yeah, there are alot of lead foots in Alabama.

Today I was on Interstate 65 North in Alabama and Tennessee and noticed alot of cars with OH, IN, MI, MN, and IL plates flying past me, and I was going 75 mph in a 70. So it's just not the Alabama drivers driving fast!
Could not have been me. I only do 80 max with those OH plates on. I would just creep by you, always wonder why them AL boys keep staring over at you for that five minutes, pull in tight, in case a smokey is tracking, he can't tell who was doing 80.

Ones to watch out for are them ones with NY plates, they will do 95 in the rain with no lights on, even if towing a boat. Fly by a guy doing 80.

Old 03-19-2007, 11:00 PM

2,303 posts, read 5,174,482 times
Atlanta has some crucially fast drivers. The last time I drove down there, I remember being on 285 and going about 85 myself. Two cars--one to the left and one to the right--both flew past me...they had to be going at least 100. Later I saw the cops going just as fast and they weren't even thinking about the folks driving faster than them.

I think drivers are painfully slow in and around Columbia, SC. I went to college down there and I was so aggravated with people going at and below the speed limit in the fast lanes on the interstate. I never quite understood why rush hour traffic was so bad there--I think the metro area only has about 500,000 people, so there could be plenty more cars to contend with--until I realized that it was started because someone was too stubborn to move over to the slower lanes. Also, folks usually tend to slow down a lot when they cross into SC from NC...at least from my experiences.

Old 03-20-2007, 03:54 PM

69 posts, read 366,843 times
I thought Minneapolis had some very fast drivers on the interstates, city streets, and neighborhoods. My best friend is from there and he agrees. When I visit him, I feel like I have to gun it ever where I go. No matter where you go, someone is on your tail. But outside Minneapolis, drivers are still fast, but not as insane.

Columbus, OH is the exact opposite. People tend to drive within the speed limit and take their time everywhere. But just go a few hours north to Akron or Cleveland, and the speed picks up. But I do notice when Ohioans leave their home state, they drive very fast.

Washington, DC-Baltimore, MD. Not exactly fast or slow, just insane.

Florida: Every bad driver from every state is attracted to Florida, but there a few good ones though. You see everything down there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.