U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 04:26 PM

1,134 posts, read 3,627,813 times

Advertisements

Least considerate / most dangerous = New Jersey
Most considerate / Slowest = Vermont
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2007, 09:56 PM

905 posts, read 3,068,147 times
My vote is for Atlanta drivers!!! Its crazy, about 80 miles outside of Atlanta, you better pick up the speed or they are all over your back bumper.

They drive like maniacs too on I-85 through Charlotte!

Old 03-20-2007, 11:52 PM

74 posts, read 445,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beenaround View Post
Washington, DC-Baltimore, MD. Not exactly fast or slow, just insane.
I resemble that remark. Ive had it said a time or two about me, and yep...Im from Baltimore.

I say fastest is NY or NJ, slowest is Pennsylvania. I feel like Im crawling when I drive thru there.
My experiance is limited to east coast, as you can see.

Old 03-21-2007, 07:42 AM

1,020 posts, read 3,068,525 times
Atlanta is by far the worst drivers I have ever seen. They're at a whole other level of driving.

Old 03-21-2007, 07:55 AM

1,560 posts, read 6,562,922 times
I'll toss in another vote for Atlanta for both fastest and slowest.

Fastest - When driving through disregard that 55 mph speed limit. If you're not going 75+, you are in danger of getting run over by a cement mixer. Most of the cars go 80+ and as long as the traffic flows on the interstate the cops don't seem to care. And you won't have to drive far to be past like a granny on Sunday Morning.

Slowest - When does a 20 mile drive take two hours? When it's a rainy Friday afternoon, and you're on Peachtree Industrial, up in Gwenett Co, and have to cross over the "top end" (I-285 on the north side of the city) to get to I-75 N. Nothing really prepares the average person to fully understand urban sprawl, until you've spent an hour to go the ~10 miles from 285 to Actworth on an interstate that's 9 LANES WIDE headed north.

Old 03-21-2007, 08:17 AM

12,054 posts, read 20,253,959 times
Delaware is probably the worst. If you have traveled I-95 near the Maryland State Line, you know what I mean.

Locally, many drivers are on their cell phones, driving in the left lane, about 20 miles under the speed limit. Recently, I have also seen many people reading the newspaper as they drive and on their laptops.

It's scary out there.

Old 03-21-2007, 09:28 AM

2,356 posts, read 2,640,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manofbess View Post
Also, folks usually tend to slow down a lot when they cross into SC from NC...at least from my experiences.
that's funny, I always had the opposite experience. On I-95, for example, the traffic goes from 70-75ish in North Carolina, to 80-90ish in South Carolina. Same on I-77/I-85, people will barely hit 80 between Greensboro and Charlotte, but between Charlotte and Columbia everyone is flying by me, going 85.

One thing I consistently find in NC, is that when a speed limit changes from 65 to 55 (like a work zone), traffic keeps going 75. Yet, when the speed limit goes up to 70... traffic keeps going 75. I cannot figure this out. I guess I'm a "10mph over in all situations" driver.

And in regards to the original question, Atlanta has the fastest drivers. Not just in Atlanta, either.. those Georgia plates will cruise up and down I-95 going 90mph, it's crazy. It's always the Ohio, Penn, New York/New Jersey drivers that are holding everybody up.

Old 03-21-2007, 10:47 AM

2,303 posts, read 5,170,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
that's funny, I always had the opposite experience. On I-95, for example, the traffic goes from 70-75ish in North Carolina, to 80-90ish in South Carolina. Same on I-77/I-85, people will barely hit 80 between Greensboro and Charlotte, but between Charlotte and Columbia everyone is flying by me, going 85.

One thing I consistently find in NC, is that when a speed limit changes from 65 to 55 (like a work zone), traffic keeps going 75. Yet, when the speed limit goes up to 70... traffic keeps going 75. I cannot figure this out. I guess I'm a "10mph over in all situations" driver.

And in regards to the original question, Atlanta has the fastest drivers. Not just in Atlanta, either.. those Georgia plates will cruise up and down I-95 going 90mph, it's crazy. It's always the Ohio, Penn, New York/New Jersey drivers that are holding everybody up.
You're right about the speed limit increasing once you reach SC...I guess I should have clarified that drivers with SC plates are the ones to slow down once they reach SC. About two weeks ago, I had to drive down to Columbia and it seems like everyone with SC plates already were going slow on 77 South in Charlotte, but when they hit Carowinds Blvd., they started going even slower. The only folks I see flying through SC, even though the speed limit is higher, are those without SC plates. I always see people with NC plates flying past me on 77 South...and I consider myself a pretty fast driver

I think South Carolinians in general are slow drivers.

Old 03-21-2007, 10:59 AM

2,356 posts, read 2,640,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manofbess View Post
You're right about the speed limit increasing once you reach SC...I guess I should have clarified that drivers with SC plates are the ones to slow down once they reach SC.
I understood what you meant. I wasn't talking about the speed limit either, I was talking about the drivers.

Old 03-21-2007, 01:25 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,281,789 times
What's so "considerate" about slow drivers? Ohio drivers are both slow and they refuse to get out of your way. Michigan drivers are polar opposites: they clip along and generally regard the rules. If you need an invitation to change a lane or get on/off the freeway, may I suggest you stay out of Michigan.

Chicagoland isn't as bad at Atlanta, but it can be difficult. You have people from everywhere, and a lot of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.