U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 08:02 PM

905 posts, read 2,582,006 times

Advertisements

All right, I don't know if they're (well, we're) the fastest due to all the traffic, but NYC drivers are definitely the most aggressive. I'd actually expand that to include drivers throughout the BosWash corridor. I'm not a particularly aggressive driver by NY standards, but when I drive outside the Northeast - and this includes areas that have come up here, like Central Florida and LA - I always think to myself "man, these people drive slow."

That said, you will occasionally see some maniac on the freeway in those places going over 100. In NY, you can't do that, the roads are just too old and tight, but people weave through traffic in ways that you really don't see anywhere else.

LA drivers never signal, though, which I found very annoying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2007, 08:18 PM

1,083 posts, read 2,739,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gms1616 View Post
I have lived in Denver for over 25 years and I have finally found a place to confirm my long time thoughts about the crappy, slow drivers in Denver! I cannot stand it!!! How can someone drive on an Interstate Highway (I 25 or I 70) and drive 55 mph or less in the left lane!!! I've been and lived throughout this country and there is no worse place for this than Denver! This is more than annoying and I see it every single day! It's outrageous. And, most of the time its those long gravel trucks driving 55 in the left left lane with their loads exposed. This is why we get 5-6 windshield cracks/year because their gravel is spilling onto the highways and bouncing off the pavement and unto your windshield; cracking it. And, have you ever noticed its the slow drivers in denver that are holding up traffic!!! Next time, take notice at all the traffic slowing and congesting behind these slow drivers in the center and left lanes!!!! If you're in the left lane or just plain driving slow on the Interstate, get your "a" out of the way. That's what they make the right hand lane for. Use it or get off the freeway and go to Cracker Barrel or some other "WT" establishment!
I disagree- Denver drivers are not slow drivers. I likewise get angry at slow drivers who hog the left lane, but I've encountered this in every city I've driven in. Denver drivers are not known to be particularly good about obeying the speed limit: the posted 55mph speed limit is often ignored and traffic flow is typically at least 70+mph.

No, people here don't drive as fast as some of the big cities like Chicago and New York, but people here don't drive slow. And you're right about those stupid gravel trucks... they need to get out of the left lane!

Old 12-12-2007, 05:14 AM

199 posts, read 730,885 times
Boston probably isn't the fastest but it's pretty routine to see 80mph on urban interstates marked 55 mph (especially Rte 128 and the Mass Pike). I-93 is a bit slower though it also tends to be more congested so that's probably why. As to surface streets, they're usually too narrow, congested and confusing to go very fast though if you don't know where you are going it can seem unnerving.

Now I'm in Portland, OR. This place could be a contender for the slowest drivers.

Old 12-12-2007, 07:06 AM

2,775 posts, read 10,721,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Long Island, NY --people drive like maniacs..cell phones in their ears, heads up their butts, huge hummers, old beaters..No matter what age or demographic..I HATE driving here.
I hear ya. Long Island is freaking NUTS. Westchester's not too bad, but yes, we do fly.

Old 12-12-2007, 09:05 AM

2,970 posts, read 6,267,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownnola View Post
I disagree- Denver drivers are not slow drivers. I likewise get angry at slow drivers who hog the left lane, but I've encountered this in every city I've driven in. Denver drivers are not known to be particularly good about obeying the speed limit: the posted 55mph speed limit is often ignored and traffic flow is typically at least 70+mph.

No, people here don't drive as fast as some of the big cities like Chicago and New York, but people here don't drive slow. And you're right about those stupid gravel trucks... they need to get out of the left lane!
I disagree. Denver drivers are sloooow compared to other large metro areas. It drives me nuts.

(of course, there are exceptions. I saw a maniac cutting over multiples lanes in his camo Hummer this morning on the way to work.)

Old 12-12-2007, 09:18 AM

72 posts, read 323,361 times
There are a bunch of terribly slow drivers just outside of Madison. They like to park themselves in the right lane while doing 5-10 under the speed limit and are horribly oblivious to the constant flutter of people behind them getting frustrated and eventually passing on the right. Not to mention so many of them don't turn on their lights when the weather is bad.

Chicago is nuts. If you're not doing 80+ on the highway, you're getting tailgated, yelled at, and flipped off. The drivers are terribly aggressive and like to cut you off, too.

I grew up in Houston and didn't think it was that bad. However there have been cases where people have gotten shot for cutting the wrong guy off (or inappropriately reacting to being cut off). On the whole, though, it's not as frustrating as Madison or scary as Chicago.

St. Louis has friendly drivers who don't drive like maniacs.

Old 10-20-2008, 09:37 AM

4 posts, read 9,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
Assuming that it isn't rush hour, I'd say overall:

Houston, TX has the WORST drivers I've ever seen! They cut you off, the speed horribly (usually 85-90+), they swerve in and out of lanes, and they honk like no tomorrow. And I apologize for anyone who lives in Houston but this has been my experience.

Slowest drivers would probably be in Sioux City, IA. When I go back to Iowa, I cannot stand all of these little old ladies driving Buicks going 55 mph on a highway. It drives me insane!!
Hey! I drive EXACTLY the speed limit wherever I go!!! Those "old ladies driving the buicks" are doing the right thing driving the speed limit! I cannot stand people who beat down on others doing the right thing!

Old 10-20-2008, 02:54 PM

1,780 posts, read 1,243,605 times
Haha in Chicago our taxi driver almost killed us as well as a few dozen pedestrians. From Water Tower Place to Ogilvie Station, he was driving fine in the beginning, weaving his way in between cars, but at a reasonable pace. Then all of a sudden we fly at like 60 mph over the draw bridge and he swerves around this car and almost sideswipes the 40 people crossing the crosswalk and a biker in the middle of the street. Anyway we gave him a tip and he calmed down Haha.

Old 10-20-2008, 09:58 PM

11,172 posts, read 22,372,703 times
^ yeah, that's what makes it so crazy here. All roads from Lakeshore Drive to Ashland and North Ave all the way up to where Lakeshore Drive ends on the far north side of the city are 2 lane except for a portion of Broadway that's 4 lanes up towards the north end of this zone. There are hundreds of thousands of people living and moving through this area. Over a dozen bus routes winding around on 2 lane streets. It's crazy how fast people drive, and the tiny areas buses will squeeze through, all the bikers, and then thousands of pedestrians walking all over.

Old 11-17-2009, 05:04 PM

106 posts, read 337,450 times
L.a. didnt make this list?

L.A. DRIVERS ARE FASTER THAN NEW YORKERS ANY DAY.
THE FREEWAYS ARE 7 LANES WIDE AT TIMES. THE POSTED IS 65, THE FLOW OF TRAFFIC IS MORE LIKE 80.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.