Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 02:22 AM

86 posts, read 340,486 times

Advertisements

today, i came back to seattle from reno, nevada via san francisco for my uncles wedding, and i experienced the worst turbulence of my life. we took off and the turbulence started. instead of the plane bouncing up and down, we were sliding left and right, then bouncing and the engines were making weird noises, people were screaming, a couple of over head bins popped open. it was just like that scene from the day after tomorrow lol. and then it felt like we dropped and the stomach feeling that you get on a roller coaster happened. then after that it felt like when your on a coaster going downhill and then you shoot up hill. i was so scared i had to hold my little brothers hand haha. i know that the flight from reno-san francisco is only 50 minutes but it seemed like a lifetime going thru that turbulence. i've flown hundreds and hundreds of times in my short little 20 years of living but never have i really experienced anything like that [i've been to reno plenty of times and have never had that happen before]. i've also had some rough turbulence flying out of denver and in the winter time from seattle or portland to honolulu is HORRIBLE also.

has anybody else experienced severe turbulence flying out of any other major city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2009, 02:29 AM

1,694 posts, read 5,665,505 times
Ive never experience anything like that..but plenty of bad turbulence flying to the eastcoast alot and denvers wasnt great same with the descent into boston once and la lol.

Old 02-10-2009, 07:48 AM

2,716 posts, read 6,877,859 times
I flew out of Denver to Omaha a few years back in the summer. I remember having a window seat and looking out seeing lighting off into the distance we were heading. Shortly after, the pilot gets on and says “remain seated, it's going to get a little rough". Well hell yeah it got rough! Right as we were getting into the storm the plane felt like it free fell for a minute straight, then we would hear loud booms, each time the plane would shoot straight back up into the air. I remember the engines sounding like they were getting bogged down as we were flying through hail and the lights on the inside of the plane appeared to be flickering. People were screaming, praying, vomit was rolling up and down the aisle. It was really funny hearing the younger couple next to me saying they were going to get married if they made it off the flight alive, lol.

Anyway, after about 20minutes of that crap the pilot gets back on to apologize for the rough ride. He said there was air traffic above and below us so we had to fly directly into the super cell thunderstorm.

That was by far the worst flight I have ever been on...

Old 02-10-2009, 11:11 AM

12,647 posts, read 21,792,872 times
I had it this past summer from Washington (Nat'll) to Boston. Terrible weather prompted cancellations of almost every flight out of there, but they somehow got us onto a Boston flight (we were SUPPOSED to go to Providence, but we just wanted to leave... Boston's close enough to Prov).

The flight was as you described... bumpy, screaming, overhead bins popping, etc. It was the longest 1.5 hours ever. I too fly a lot, but nothing quite like this has ever happened.

Old 02-10-2009, 11:42 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,433,108 times
I HATE turbulence! And it's always pretty bumpy at Denver because the winds have so much open space to build up speed between the mountains and the airport. I flew around a storm once out of National in DC and could see out of my window the blackened thunderheads and the pink and purple flashes of lightning within the clouds. I was VERY glad we weren't going thro the middle of that.

Old 02-10-2009, 01:30 PM

86 posts, read 340,486 times
yeah another story i had traveling to hawaii with my brother in november, they said it was scheduled to be a 5 hour 20 minute flight but it turned out to be a 6 hour 45 minute flight due to the severe turbulence we had. i had gotten up to go to the bathroom and when i came back my brother went to the bathroom and we were in seat 41 and the bathroom was like 2 seats behind us, and i just remember we hit this giant bump and then we slammed to the right [while the flight attendants were giving out lunch they dropped the tray of food and held onto the seat next to them] and once we hit that big bump i heard my brother scream at the top of his lungs hahah it was the funniest thing ever. but all i know is, from the west coast to hawaii during winter storm season was HORRIBLE.

Old 02-10-2009, 03:56 PM

2,114 posts, read 4,895,570 times
Flying into Sacramento was the worst for me. I think it's because you need to go down so fast from the mountains.

Old 02-10-2009, 06:41 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,750,680 times
Flying from Reno to San Francisco took you over the Sierra Nevadas (7,000-14,000 ft) in the teeth of a massive Pacific front, which is currently moving through Northern California and Oregon - so, yes, you hit turbulence, and it's pretty much to be expected.

Old 02-10-2009, 07:04 PM

1,928 posts, read 5,152,129 times
It's incidents like those posted here and my last experience flying (15 years ago) that I will never set foot on a plane again. I drive wherever I need to go. With the way I'm a white knuckle flyer, I would probably have had a heart attack with some of these stories posted here.

Thanks for posting guys, you have confirmed by correct decision never to fly again.

Old 02-11-2009, 05:08 PM

8,542 posts, read 10,059,982 times
I always feel some turbulence when flying from Tucson or Phoenix to Denver. Flying from Dallas to AZ was just as bad. On the flip side, I've never felt any turbulence flying in and out of Minneapolis (even during the winter storms), perhaps because the air is so thin.

The worst flights ever:

Narita, Japan to Honolulu - It was very turbulent and bumpy for at least an hour (it seemed). It was so turbulent that I started to squeeze the hand of the guy who sat next to me (we shared the armrest). On another flight similar to mine (from Narita to Honolulu), one of the passengers (a lady) did not have her seat belt on, and so she hit her head on the over-head bin and died.

London to Tenerife (Canary Islands) - It never fails. Whenever I order a Bloody Mary on a flight, it's bound to be a bumpy one. The plane seemed as though it was not only moving up and down, but side to side, and that Bloody Mary painted a new design all over the inside of the plane near my seat. I thought I was dead meat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.